StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, just got parts from Rick, blazingly quick turnaround, fork brace went on in a jiffy with no loosening of bolts, but I had a small problem with the sidestand foot plate.

I've seen mention that it works with the stock centerstand, but with whatever brand of centerstand I've got on mine I'm getting some conflict. If you flip down the centerstand with the sidestand up, it doesn't clear thoroughly, and it feels like the sidestand doesn't flip all the way up properly.

Is this just "user error", and is there a wrong way to install the thing? Just trying to make sure I'm not going to have the bike shut itself off in transit :)

Mirror extenders still to be installed, and I'm curious to get the bike on the interstate to see how it interacts with trucks now, since I've added the brace.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Might be time for a little creative shaving with the grinder on the sidestand foot. I have a similar experience but probably not as bad. Put on a Murph's kit centerstand and have a minor rub against the Touratech sidestand foot, but just a rub, not a problem.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Do you know which centerstand you have? I have Rick's sidestand foot, and there's no interference with my SW Motech centerstand. Did Rick send you the install photos? It should be pretty clear how the foot goes on, based on the photos.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The only problem I had was the powdercoat in the threads. I had to run a tap though it to get the screws to grab.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure what brand centerstand it is. I'll take another look at it tonight and see if I can provide a better explanation.

One thing is for certain: if the sidestand is up, and you extend the centerstand, they bump against one another, and the centerstand doesn't flip up into a normal position when you retract it.

Again, this may be vagaries involving my centerstand, or possibly a botched installation.

It went on without complaint, though.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
This design does not work with the 2012 DL650. There's a small brace on the stand that gets in the way.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holy moley... you've got me confused for someone with discretionary spending cash ;)

I'm on an '04. I think I had it turned around the other way, which I didn't think mattered, but might... single bolt facing the front, I'll try it on the back instead... That might fix the issue I was having with the centerstand. Didn't have pics in front of me last night, and was hustling to get it done.

Don't know why, but for some reason on an 8 year old bike, the forks lined up perfectly and gave no trouble getting the brace on. I was figuring I'd have to loosen the pinch bolts etc.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it switched around. Fits better, though I'm not sure I will keep it on full time. The extra height makes it a little less secure feeling when I'm on pavement with some camber to it... Going to give it a week and think it over.

Also do folks find that the mirrors are a bit "bouncier" with the extenders on? Trying to make sure I'm not just giving in to the placebo effect, but it seems the image is less stable over bumps...

·
Registered
10 Posts
My mirrors feel just as stable as they were stock. I mostly ride pavement though. I really like the extenders. Couldn't believe how much difference they make.

·
Registered
240 Posts
This design does not work with the 2012 DL650. There's a small brace on the stand that gets in the way.
I just received mine in the mail today and I'm finding the same thing. There is not enough clearance on the 2012 with the OEM center stand to use the side stand foot. The two come into contact with each other when up. There is no way to edit the foot to make it work as it's more to do with the thickness of the base plate. The distance between the bottom of the side stand foot to the center stand is less than the thickness of the side stand foot. I'm waiting to hear back from Rick on how to make a return.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just a follow up on my previous post. Rick gave me the go ahead to grind away. Despite removing lots of material from the inside and outside edge beveling it to at least a 45 degree angle, the side stand foot would still not clear completely. The base of the foot was too thick and was contacting the gusset on the side stand foot lever. Rick graciously accepted the return and refunded my purchase price. Nice product, but on my 2012 with OEM Center stand the clearance just wasn't there. I've ordered the Altrider foot and will give that a shot. I'm pretty sure it should fit without a problem.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a quick frankensteining on this thread: I've decided to take the sidestand foot off.

The good: it does give you better purchase and stability on soft/loose stuff. It's well made, with quality hardware, and it stays on once mounted in my brief experience. Rick was also super to deal with, and the stuff shipped quickly as agreed.

The bad: it has a little bit of a clearance problem with my sidestand, and also I've found that it's touching down/grinding the front of the plate in hard cornering. I might be able to tuck it a little tighter by lowering the centerstand before putting up the sidestand, but I don't really spend enough time on dirt for it to be worth it for me. I also find that I have to heave the bike a hair over to the right to put the sidestand down, as opposed to the normal length where it just kicks down.

For those who have no centerstand, and spend a bit more of their time kickin' up roostertails, I'd heartily recommend it. I think I might just go back to carrying my trusty rubber puck to put under the foot on gravel etc.

·
Vendor
5,339 Posts
Hello all,

This is great feedback.

The kickstand foot was designed to work with the stock Suzuki center stand. It was a primary objective of the design.

We redesigned the top plate to accommodate the web attachment to the stock foot on the 2012 model. I and all my local V-Strom riding buddies use the foot and it’s been a 5 minuet install and forget kind of item for us.

I am glad people are providing feedback about how it fits non "Suzuki" center stands. We just didn’t have any available to test with in order to give any meaningful answers to non-Suzuki fitment questions.

With about 75 having been installed, and the exceptions noted above, all other 2012s and earlier models that I know of have fit as designed. I will be mindful of possible changes in Suzuki’s center stand though. They changed the kickstand. It is certainly possible that they might change the center stand slightly as well, but to date we have only heard of the one mentioned above being an issue. It is almost impossible to say from this distance if the problem was due to variation in the center stand construction, installation, etc.

As far as grinding the kickstand foot in corners….as noted the kickstand foot is an accessory designed for people that are worried about the bike falling over, not for improving your odds of shaming Hayabusas on tight twisty roads.

I ride fast and don’t scrape my lowered pegs or large kickstand foot. Your experience may vary especially if you don’t slide your butt off the seat in the turns. LOL

Seriously though, we can change the shape for the fast crowd easy enough. Feedback (direct) is welcome.

Rick

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think mine has the cornering clearance issue only when really hustling (had to chase someone on their own turf to keep up this weekend out in the country), and because of the SW-Motech centerstand keeping the foot from quite folding up as high as is intended.

I didn't mean in any way to make it seem a knock on the add-on at all, just a bit of an experience. This was the first time it had touched, such that I didn't know what it was until I had stopped.

The clearance issue/overlap with the centerstand in my case is pretty minimal, so I'm going to see if I can get it to fit differently with some time on the bench grinder. If there's any result, I'll report back.

I'm tickled to be thought of as chasing hayabusas :biggrinjester:

·
Vendor
5,339 Posts
Slomo - I wasn't offended. This is a very constructive thread.

We might be able to change the shape of the foot to fit the SW Motech and the stock centerstand both if it is just a matter of notching the shape here or there. What do you think?

·
Registered
177 Posts
My mirrors feel just as stable as they were stock. I mostly ride pavement though. I really like the extenders. Couldn't believe how much difference they make.
Yeah, no issues with mine either - makes a huge diff in watching what's coming.

Try a little rubber 'tape' under the clamp if you're getting any vibes.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Installed mine and immediately quit worrying about parking on gravel and soft pavement. I worried a bit that the added weight might pop down the side stand enough to blip the side stand switch. Ran over some pronounced bumps and wash-boarded gravel in Catoosa WMA...no problems at all. Great product.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Fixed Richland Rick problem with kickstand / centerstand

I have a 2007 Wee with a Murphs centerstand, but this may apply other models and centerstands.
I had the interference problem, and I discussed this with Rick. I sent him photos and he sent me a couple of modified kickstand foots to try. We went back and forth and the modifications were always soooo close, but with the play in the side stand it could still make contact. One day it hit me. I went to hardware store and bought a hard rubber plug for about a dollar and made myself a slightly thicker rubber bumper for the centerstand. Voila! Everything is happy now. Perhaps it reduced the ground clearance of the centerstand an 1/8" or so, but I have not noticed it. Just an idea. This cost a couple bucks and about 5 minutes time. I cut the rubber with a utility knife and drillled a hole in it and put a stainless bolt and washer on and cinched it up tight so the nut sucked down into the rubber a little more than flush to prevent metal to metal contact. I am sure someone smarter could come up with a thicker bumper without the steel bolt in the center.
Here are a couple photos. One shows the comparison of the old bumper to new one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts