StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
L7 DL650XA
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to rewire the 3A accessory outlet circuit so that it is live at all times instead of only with the ignition on. This would allow me to keep the GPS/Phone on charge even when stopped for a coffee.
I've searched through some threads that go straight to added accessory fuse panels etc. which is way more than I want to do.
I can see that the FAN 15A circuit in the fuse panel is live with the key out, I was thinking of snipping the supply wire to the 3A fuse and tapping that into the supply wire to the Fan circuit.
Has anyone done this before? If so, any advice based on your experience?
Are there any other "uncomplicated" suggestions?

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
The most uncomplicated way is to skip trying to rewire the existing 12 volt outlet and attach a new one somewhere on the bike. I have these on my Super Tenere:

They're just the standard 12 volt marine outlets you can buy on Amazon. I made the brackets out of a couple pieces of 1/8" aluminum angle, but they have a bunch of different outlets on Amazon, and some have their own built in handlebar mounting clamps. One of mine is always hot, the other is switched via the fusebox. They're wired into a fusebox, but it's just as easy to just run a wire down to your battery and attach them directly, with a fuse and fuse holder on the positive side of the wire. Put the fuse holder close to the battery.

I think this will be a lot less trouble than tapping into existing wiring. Plus, you can actually wire it to handle more than three amps. Mine are wired with 15 amps in mind, in case I needed to run my air compressor off the outlets. This makes your outlets a lot more versatile.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I agree with the above post a new system wired directly to the battery with a fuse will leave the bike original and uncomplicated.

(you can swap the socket for another if you wish.)

If you were to put a permanent power supply into the switched circuit you would need to ensure it is done where it will not be back feeding or powering something you don't want powered 24/7

I have my GPS powered 24/7 but it has a small parasitic drain on the battery.

I also have a power port inside my top box so I can plug in my phone or headset then lock the box and walk away while it charges.

Reactions: Motorpsychology

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you dont want an additional socket, why not just run new fused wires from the battery to the original one? Leaving the bikes harness unmolested and easily returned to stock.

Alternatively, I carry a powerbank in my tankbag. Can be charged while you ride and used to charge phone/communicator while stopped for coffee. Also means you dont have to abandon your gear...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Its as simple as adapting the SAE connector on a Battery tender whip to whatever you want to charge. I use Trackside USB outlets plugged into the Battery tender whip then a USB to lightning cord to power my iPhone. The USB adapter sets under the seat and the lighting cord is run under the tank and ziptied to the handlebars. I can also unplug the USB outlet and plug in my tire pump or battery tender.

Install is about 2 minutes.

download.jpg

·
Registered
L7 DL650XA
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice, I discovered that there is considerable risk with messing around near the fuse panel. I pulled the fuse to the Ignition to see if the supply side was live with the ignition off (it wasn't). When I went to start the bike I had a "CHEK" indication that I couldn't clear. The user manual advises - check the Kill-switch, Side-stand/Neutral then the Ignition fuse. Turns out that I had pushed the contact inside the fuse panel down so that it no longer had contact with the fuse. After disconnecting the battery, I was able to reach in with a jewelers screwdriver and pull the contact back up into position . I don't recall using much force with my multi-meter leads to measure the voltage on the contacts, so I'm thinking that things are no-so-robust in there.

Anyway, Third Gear had a socket that mounts on the handle-bar, so I've gone with that. Cheers...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts