StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at a loss and could use some advice. My 650 started stalling out when, at speed, I would grab the clutch for coasting or braking. Sometimes the RPM needle will drop down to the proper place - 1300 or 1400 - and at other times will drop down to 0 and the engine dies. I can hit the starter button immediately and it starts back up and off I go. This happens intermittently. Not a relaxing way to ride, not knowing when your engine is going to die!
I took it to the dealer and they tried the shotgun approach - change the battery, air-filter, and plugs. All things that needed to be seen to, so I had no problem. I even assumed that they had diagnosed the problem and found a cure. So I picked the bike up this morning, rode home and had the same problem surface after 20 miles. Fuel line problem? Idle problem?
Any ideas?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Failure to idle when hot is commonly a throttle position sensor problem. It tests fine because it only acts up when hot.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
'Wolfe,

Dealer replaced the TPS last week. I've put on 200 miles since and nary a stall.
You may have my daughter.

Many, many thanks for sharing your knowldege.

Rick

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
A while back I posted a survey on TPS problems, but didn't get many replies.

It seems like there are far more TPS issues on Wees and Vees than there should be. This is my first FI bike, so maybe TPS problems are common to them. I didn't see problems with them when I worked at HD, and their bikes are all FI.

A recall or warranty extension for the TPS seems at least plausible.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I didn't see the TPS survey - but I had the same problem as the OP and the solution was the same - replaced the TPS and all is well. My bike; 2007, 650, problem surfaced at about 18,000 miles.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
'Wolfe,

Dealer replaced the TPS last week. I've put on 200 miles since and nary a stall.
You may have my daughter.
I'm not fond of children. Nice attempt to get rid of one though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts