StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
My '09 dl650 has been sitting in my garage on a battery tender for over a year and I need to dust it off and get it road-worthy.

I'm a newbie, can I get some recommendations or guidance on what maintenance steps I need to take? I'm thinking:

oil change
new oil filter
clean & lube chain

but I'm sure theres more...

thanks for any advice,
p

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
How old is the brake fluid? If it's more than a couple years old, especially if it was just sitting around in a garage, I'd want to flush the brakes and replace the fluid.

Was there gas in it when you parked it? Did you put a stabilizer in it? I'd probably drain the tank and replace it with fresh gas before I ran it.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Hi All,
My '09 dl650 has been sitting in my garage on a battery tender for over a year and I need to dust it off and get it road-worthy.

I'm a newbie, can I get some recommendations or guidance on what maintenance steps I need to take? I'm thinking:

oil change
new oil filter
clean & lube chain

but I'm sure theres more...

thanks for any advice,
p

1st I'd start with turning the key "on" and see if it starts and runs. If it runs air up the tires check the chain and go riding. Sitting a year is nothing.

·
Super Moderator
16,879 Posts
I am most concerned about fuel in tank and the tank being free of rust.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Second that!!

If put away properly with full tank and stabilizer probably ok. IF NOT, I would not turn the key at all but drain the tank and inspect it. If its nice and clean, all is good. If not, well then it depends how bad it is what needs done.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
My 09 has been not moved since Dec. with front wheel on my 011. I just start it one a week or maybe two if on a trip. What the other's said and if stabilizer was put in most likely fine. I would ride it twenty miles or so then change the oil.Oil the chain before the other stuff to give it time to soak around then adjust.Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts