StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well the Postman just stopped by and dropped off a box I have been waiting for !

Inside I found... my NEW

WOLFMAN DENALI TANKBAG

(Used once by an ADVRider and he didn't like it).

The Denali is Basically an Explorer but set up for the BMW F650 GS Specifically -BUT it will fit a Vstrom as well (not alot know this-so if you see one - it WILL fit). I was fortunate enough to get mine for $90.00 in absolutely NEW condition (Over the Web Price of $139.00 + shipping)

Here are pics of the SIZE (related to my Arai Helmet)
LINK : http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=19338832&uid=10233130

And now the Pics to my Install are up on my Picturetrail page : http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=19338832&uid=10233130

(** I Have GOT to learn how to get the 'Clickable Thumbnail Image' working.)
------------------------------------

UPDATE:

The Tankbag sits about 1" from me when I am in my normal riding position, if I crouch down to tuck in behind the windscreen it keeps me from going as low as without it, but still FINE to crouch down. Additionally, with the tankbag on AND extended (yes it expands to a bigger size when needed) I can STILL see my Garmin 60Csx which is mounted on the low point of my handlebars (Pic) I can still see my whole GPS.

Ok so the bag went on REALLY easy -about 20 mins of figuring out. lol-(instruction sheet was SIMPLE) and the bag - although a 'HEALTHY' Size has SPACE GALORE to use and is not too big or too small. This has GOT to be the PERFECT Tankbag. At highway speeds up to 70 MPH the bag is stuck to the bike like GLUE (make sure your straps are tight) and doesn't move in the wind at all (mine was 1/2 empty).

ODD HAPPENING..... Once the Tankbag was on.... Everything BEHIND the glass got ALOT QUIETER. I have never had a problem with "Buffetting" from the wind, but even with the stock screen I had a bunch of wind noise - Just turbulant air. Now I can hear my engine, none of that flapflapflap wind sound. So to the people who thought the wind noise/ Buffetting is caused to some degree by the wind curving over the fairings of the V-Strom's-like an airplane wing- and fluttering up and hitting us - it's GOT to be true. my bike is a WHOLE lot nicer to ride now. Odd I know, but I will take it !

Denali on my Strom:

Next I am getting a Strap made at a local outdoor shop to carry it like a courier bag when not on the bike ( I find the 'Backpack' straps hard to put on and off with a Bike jacket on). Already have the Clips and straps that will use the existing Denali clips, just have to get the seamstress to sew em together.

Single Strap across it so easy to put on and off AND still pack GPS on the front of the strap for hikes... Already have a Camelbak 1.5 litre bladder in the tankbag. :D

Sounds like I am modifying this Denali into the DO ALL tankbag. haha - Electrified Tankbag/backpack/Hydration Pack.

Later.... Electrify it (3x 12v inside from ONE cable from the ignition/battery)

So all in all a FANTASTIC bag, the Explorer new is $159.00, the DENALI is the SAME bag but strapped for the BMW F650GS, its $139.00 - and it just so happens to fit OUR bikes. so if you want to save $20.00 at the LEAST from Wolfman, the Denali will fit perfectly, also if you find a USED Denali from one of the BAZILLIONS of BMW riders (especially now that they are all selling their 650's for the new 800's when they come out) I bet we'll be able to find a HELLUVA deal.

Ride Safe !

·
$Whatever$
1,598 Posts
Looks nice.....

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
I have the Explorer and really like how it fits on the Vstrom. Good choice.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
GrayWolf and I both have this tank bag. It is a huge bag, but I never go anywhere without it. I can get 2 pairs of gloves, 2 helmet shields, a rain suit, and other stuff in it without a problem.

The only negative I have for the bag is the rain cover. It blows up like a balloon in the wind and can come off if you don't cinch it down good. I really wish the bag itself was waterproof.

Good choice.

Tige

·
Registered
104 Posts
That tank bag looks nice. Does it come magnetic too, or is it only a strap on?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
It is a strap only. Good on our bikes with all the plastic. Even modified mags tend to blow off in extreme conditions.

-GW

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whole review up top now. :)

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
how is the fuel cap accessed? easy release clips on front to flip back over?
I loosen the front clip tensioners just enough to unclip the rears then flip the bag forward out of the way. Takes two seconds.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Coho,

I'm gonna ask a dumb question here. Did you have to remove the fuel tank to attach the straps or harness for the tank bag? I've never owned a tank bag and saw on your picturetrail photos that you had removed or lifted the tank.

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
Coho,

I'm gonna ask a dumb question here. Did you have to remove the fuel tank to attach the straps or harness for the tank bag? I've never owned a tank bag and saw on your picturetrail photos that you had removed or lifted the tank.
The front straps attach to the bar that runs in front of the tank and can be reached without removing the tank. Plenty of room in that area to get your hands in there.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Coho,

Nope. here are pics of where the bag hooks on the bike (not the best - but you can see).

(With seat off - straps hooked on the Gas tank MOUNT. ** tank stays on **)

(In front of the gas tank there are two greenish colored fairing/body support bars. Look down in front of tank but behind & below the steering knuckle)

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
ODD HAPPENING..... Once the Tankbag was on.... Everything BEHIND the glass got ALOT QUIETER. I have never had a problem with "Buffetting" from the wind, but even with the stock screen I had a bunch of wind noise - Just turbulant air. Now I can hear my engine, none of that flapflapflap wind sound. So to the people who thought the wind noise/ Buffetting is caused to some degree by the wind curving over the fairings of the V-Strom's-like an airplane wing- and fluttering up and hitting us - it's GOT to be true. my bike is a WHOLE lot nicer to ride now. Odd I know, but I will take it !
I noticed that same with when I put on my new tank bag. I have never ridden with one before (unless you count a mesh thing with hooks that I used to attach 12 packs of long necks onto the tank of my Maxim). My bike became MUCH quieter as well. Is this some sort of common thing with tank bags?

BTW, the bag looks good. I am now becoming a fan of tank bags.....

·
Registered
192 Posts
How dose this campere to teh Explorer lite tank bag? From teh Wofman site it appears to be slightly smaller than the explorer, maybe in between the two? I have always used mag bags, but haven't found any, decent size, to properly attach to the Strom, so I am now looking at strap type.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I beleive its bigger than the explorer, hence the Denali name. I love mine and always seem to have room to spare. It is expanadable via a zipper on the main compartment, never needed it though. It fits the contour of the stom tank very nice so its almost level when mounted. Makes viewing the map on top very nice and easy. I have found you need to play with the straps though as under hard steering locks left and right, it will hit the bars. No real issue though. Plenty of little hooks and such for routing headsets and thermal heated gear, which makes it nice. It was my first tank bag, and figure it'll be the last as well. 2 years now and very durable. I plumbed in a 12V socket from powerlet for the cell phone, and run the hot end up to the dash. Very clean and very friendly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looks a really nice back. I am playing with the idea of getting one, but there is the issue with scratching the tank paint. What's your experience? How can I protect the tank while using a tank rucksack?? Please advise, Kim

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the back of the Denali is FULLY covered with some kind of soft rubber non-slip sufrace. not a SINGLE scratch.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I have left mine on the bike for the past year or so, I see some signs of wear on the clear coat in various spots when viewing the clear coat from a right angle. This is due to the small grains of dust that wear into the finish over time. Its my commuter so I am not really bothered by it, but do be aware of it if you are fussy. Only use it when you need it, and when washing your bike,I also suggest washing the back or the tank pad to remove the fine particulates.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts