StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Introduction

This is a waist-cut jacket that fits closely and features no girth adjustment. Thus, it looks more sporting, but is also less versatile, than other Motoport jackets. The overpants of course are sized to fit over casual pants, but can also be worn without. The bottom line on both the jacket and overpants is that I am very pleased with the quality of design, materials, and workmanship.

Ordering

Wayne Boyer has owned and run Motoport for decades. He was very helpful both before and after the sale. After some initial Q&A via email and phone, I visited Wayne at his San Marcos CA factory to see the options first hand, and to get fitted for my order since I was not confident in taking my own measurements. Wayne allowed me to substitute features that I preferred from other Motoport jackets, such as a taller collar and frontal map pockets. My order was then processed and shipped within one week of that visit.

Shell Materials

I really like the Air Mesh Kevlar fabric. It looks unique and purposeful, feels very tough, and flows high volumes of air. Though the outer texture feels a little coarse, I do not find the gear to feel stiff, as some others have reported. Stretch Kevlar panels are located where needed for comfort. If you would prefer a softer fabric, and would not mind reduced airflow, then you might consider Stretch Kevlar overall. The protective properties of both these fabrics as quantified at motoport.com were compelling for me. I have only one minor issue that I suppose may be common to mesh fabrics. When riding in an upright position through moderate to heavy rain, the mesh has a way of conducting water into my gauntlet gloves. The jacket wrist openings are too snug for me to tuck the gauntlets inside to prevent this. I can however lower my elbows to reverse the incline of my forearms. The armor coverage is generous, and I am satisfied with the standard tri-armor versus the more costly quad-armor.

Liners

The zip-in breathable Aero-Tex liners are really nice and seem to be durable. They have kept me totally dry so far. With the additional zip-in thermal jacket liner, I have ridden comfortably at 30 degrees F at highway speeds over long distances. Note however that I ride behind a substantial windscreen. The sleeve cuffs and the pant cuffs of the Aero-Tex liners attach with loops and snaps, while the sleeve cuffs of the thermal jacket liner attach with velcro panels. I much prefer the loops and snaps.

Fit

When first received, the overpants fit well, but the jacket needed some adjustment. Although the gusset material behind the shoulders was more than adequate, the stitching under the arms restricted my upward reach. I noticed this more when fastening my helmet strap than when riding. Also, the wrist zippers would not remain fully closed. Wayne offered to take care of all this at no charge. Motoport let-out more material under the arms, and installed longer cuff adjustment straps to extend across the wrist zippers, thus securing them. Motoport shipped the altered jacket within one week of receiving it from me. My upward reach is still a little restricted, but I tend to accept this as normal for such a closely fitting jacket. I am now fully satisfied.

Gearing-up

Getting in and out of the gear efficiently takes a little practice. The overpants are designed to allow boots to remain on when gearing-up. A full-length zipper opens from the bottom of the right leg all the way up to the top of the waist and separates completely, allowing the open pants to be wrapped around the right leg and waist. The left leg zipper opens from the bottom up to a point above the knee. The Aero-Tex pants liner has the same zipper configuration. So the drill is to insert the left leg first, and to remove it last. With the liner in place, I prefer to remove my Size 13 left boot rather than to work it through the liner opening. A circumferential waist zipper secures the overpants to the jacket. This feature is standard for waist-cut jackets and optional for longer Motoport jackets. I recommend it in any case, because not only does it leave less to question in a crash, but it also keeps my overpants from sagging when walking around. I find it much easier to engage this zipper with only my right arm inserted through the jacket sleeve. I am glad that I chose a jacket and pants combo versus a one-piece suit, and for one reason that I had not even considered prior to my purchase, which is the ability to stow them into my lockable side cases (36 liters each, ventilated).

Colors

I could not be happier with my color selection. For the jacket I chose KTM Orange for the mesh panels (available only as mesh) and grey for the stretch panels. For the overpants I chose grey for both the mesh and stretch panels. KTM Orange is not as bright as Hi-Viz Yellow, but is certainly more fashionable when off the bike. Even a devoted ATGATT follower can look cool, or in my case, less uncool.

Conclusion

I am associated with Motoport strictly as a customer. I am a frugal man, yet for me, this gear is worth every penny spent. Wayne is a reputable American business owner who manages to retain his manufacturing in the US, yet he continues to offer a great value proposition to his customers. He deserves your consideration when shopping for quality protective gear.

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have been shopping for gear for almost a year. I currently wear a Tourmaster coat but it doesn't fit correctly. I found the Motoport web site by chance as part of my research and then I found your report. Then I found this report of WebBikeWeek about Motoport.:fineprint:

I am sold and will begin saving for my two piece suit immediately. This stuff looks like the best stuff available and that's exactly what I have wanted. Great job Motoport! Keep up the good work!!!:beatnik:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had the Kevlar Air Mesh full suit and liners for 6 years now and after 60k miles in all kinds of weather, I have absolutely no regrets and I know they will last another 6 years easily. I did buy the Warm-n-Safe Jacket liners & gloves with the wireless remote for the times I ride for hours in the 10-20 degree rides (much less bulk), but for the 1-2 hour rides in cold or hot temps it does great. No other jacket, pants (easiest to get on) & liners that I have found that compare. If I should go down my road rash should be very minimal, if any.

·
Registered
111 Posts
warm and safe

I need to look into the warm and safe stuff...i have the motoport kevlar air mesh II top and pants....30000 miles approx and wearing in 100+ to 20 degrees or so....no problems...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also have the warm-n-safe heated liner, customized by Motoport to zip into their jacket. Nice.
What did Wayne charge to do this for you? Can it still be used by itself? Does it attach like the motoport wind/rain liner? I never though of that, I did just have Wayne custom make some quilted pant liner, needed since moving from the Goldwing with much more wind protection.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What did Wayne charge to do this for you? Can it still be used by itself? Does it attach like the motoport wind/rain liner? I never though of that, I did just have Wayne custom make some quilted pant liner, needed since moving from the Goldwing with much more wind protection.
He charged $168. I don't remember if he charged for return shipping, but I suppose he would. The heated liner zips into the aerotex liner, and it has its own closure zipper. Patches of velcro keep the sleeve cuffs in place within the aerotex liner. The connections are left intact and it can be used by itself or with other gear.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I too am a happy customer of Wayne and his motoport kevlar air mesh riding gear. Been down, lowside, at over 40mph and all it did was scuff up the area that hit the ground first (my right shoulder), no damage other than a slightly separated AC joint, I was cleared to ride three days later by my doctor. :)

I've had my gear since May of 2008 and I've had no regrets.

When one of the snap buttons came apart, Wayne sent several replacements, free of charge.

The zipper pull tabs on both sleeves broke off after many many thousands of miles of use, and I just replaced them with third party cloth pulls.

A few weeks ago, after perhaps 60,000+ miles of riding/use, the main zipper portion where you mate the two lower ends of the zipper together broke, but I can still zip it up just fine, and carefully, unzip it with very little fuss. I supposed I should get it fixed locally (I ride almost every day so don't want to send it to Wayne due to not having it to ride with for several days), and since it still works....

The only bad thing? I got the all black jacket and pants, people mistake me for a police officer all the time! : )

Great gear, strongly recommend it. With appropriate layers underneath I ride in below freezing temps with no real issues. It's also usable in 90s degree weather but yeah, it gets warm when you're not moving! Still, it beat bleeding from road rash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts