StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past summer, I focused on improving comfort on my 2013 650. I’m 5’ 11” with a 31” inseam. In my mid 60’s so hip and knee joints are stiffer that they used to be. I’m carrying 210 lbs. on a slender frame resulting in more weight on a skinny butt than it was designed for. All products are well made, but not all worked as well as I hoped they would. Following are the farkles, listed in order of how well they met my needs. No pictures as the web sites have better images than I would create. 4,000+ miles on all items.

1) Baldwin Motorbike Saddle (Grand Touring version) – I had a Corbin on my ‘00 SV, a Mayer on my ’05 FJR, and a Sargent on my ’06 Wee. Obviously, all those seats may be better now than when I bought them. I got a Baldwin this summer and now have 5K miles on it. Far and away, the best seat yet. It has the tractor seat shape of the Terry Adcox and Russell seats, but has a much plainer look, a plus for me. I have no idea how it compares on comfort to those two, but I’m very happy with it. Haven’t used my Airhawk or custom beaded cover since I got it. It does affect ground reach a bit as it’s wider than stock.

2) Oxford Heaterz Premium Touring Grips – My first set of heated grips. Easy install. WHY did I wait so long?

3) SW-MOTECH Barback Offset Handlebar Risers – I toyed with getting the 2” Rox risers but didn’t want to shell out for new brake lines. These have a 31 mm rise and a 22mm pullback and I was able to install them without changing the brake line. They have a made a surprising amount of difference in hip joint comfort. Keepers.

4) Adventure Tech Peg lowering kit – Easy to install. Holds off the knee pain for a while, but for me only a while. I have scraped the pegs a few times since installing, but I’ll leave them on at least until I find a highway peg solution. They are inexpensive enough that it’s worth a try if you’re feeling cramped.

5) Barkbuster Storm Handguards – They’re designed for other purposes, but I got them for wind protection in cold weather. They don’t block the cold air as much as I hoped they would but they do provide a good location for conspicuity lighting. The plastic covers are easily removed to maximize air flow in hot weather. I would not recommend these for wind protection.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have the same bike. I am 5' 11', 190lbs and just turning 60 yrs. old.

A couple other farkles that I have really appreciated are:

Mirror wideners make for a much more relaxing ride.
Fork Brace made the bike much more stable especially on a windy day.
Givi Airflow windshield.
Russell seat.

Very comfortable bike for all day riding. I was out for a two hour ride last week with weather just at the freezing mark. Only weak point was my hands. I have order a set of hippo hands for the hand guards.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Could you post a pic of your Baldwin seat? What was the cost?

My #1 problem with most bikes are the seats. My first 20 years of riding I had 2 bikes, a Yamaha Virago 1000 and a Harley Low Rider, both had/have great seats, all day comfortable. I took seat comfort for granted until I got an SV650, DL650, and an Aprilia, all had torturous seats for me. The Russell seat on my V Strom is fantastic, it's the best comfort mod I made, and I tried a Corbin, Seargent, memory foam mod, as well as pads and the like. I'm always curious of other seats, I know the Adcox seat is pretty comfortable, don't know anything about the Baldwin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts