StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CalSci tall windshield that works great with a Madstad bracket. In war weather, it works too well: it blocks almost all the airflow to my helmet and the mesh panels in the front and sleeves of my jacket.

I've tried a cut down stock windshield:

And no windshield at all when the weather is warm. But each of those choices had some pretty significant limitations in terms of when the weather got cooler, it rained, or on the highway.

So as soon as I saw the new $85 CalSci Shorty, I was psyched. Ordered it at midnight and it shipped the next day.

I'm very pleased with this windshield. It gives me some airflow to the front of my jacket and sleeves, without having to fight the wind on the highway. With the Madstad, I can move it down pretty low, or up pretty high.

For summer use, or if you live in a warm climate, this seems like a pretty economical and efficient choice.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No clearance problems even at full lock: it's narrower than the "big" screen. Even if you don't have a Madstad it shouldn't be a problem.

Mark Lawrence, who designs these screens, is a research physicist and V-Strom owner. He usually tests 6-12 designs so it's well sorted out. The airflow is very "clean."

I like that it's just high enough to shield the back of the GPS mount from rain.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looks fabulous - mind if I ask - I'm new to the Vstrom thing - where did you order the Madstat bracket, and where did you get those hand guards!!

I'm 5'10" - they seem to think I need the "medium" sized. I'm not anxious to have wind in my face - think it will be big enough?

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks fabulous - mind if I ask - I'm new to the Vstrom thing - where did you order the Madstat bracket, and where did you get those hand guards!!

I'm 5'10" - they seem to think I need the "medium" sized. I'm not anxious to have wind in my face - think it will be big enough?
I ordered the Madstad from Madstad Engineering. I think that's the only place to get them.

As far as getting a Medium versus Tall, that's hard to say. I bought an XTall that I am going to have cut down a bit, though still taller than the Tall. So I suppose one option is to order a Tall, and adjust down from there if necessary. There is enough range on the Madstad that it's hard to make a blanket answer.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The Madstad is available other places besides directly from Madstad, but with my recent dealings with Mark at Madstad that would be the only place I would buy one from. His customer service is second to none.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts