StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out for a ride last week, all the ducks in a row! On my own on a very twisty, smooth, quiet, wonderfully clear and unobstructed bit of road. I was really having a great time wringing out the revs on my 650 when all of a sudden I hit the rev limiter in 3rd gear coming out of a bend, gave me a hell of a fright. Very abrupt wake up call that I don't want to repeat, I was not paying attention to the gauges (tacho especially) just fully in the moment. Kind of put a dampener on my ride. Have not hit the rev limiter on any other bike that I have owned over the years, a new experience. Not complaining about my bike just my silly lack of attention, this could have ended badly if I had needed more speed that I could not have.
Love this bike, we were harmonising so well up till that moment, not the bikes fault. I will have to be more carefull in the future.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
You can imagine how much "not fun" the idiotic 6200 rpm rev limiter on the Honda 700s. And it's a hard limit ....feels like the bike has run into a marshmallow.
At least with the 650 you have some headroom.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
... on a very twisty, smooth, quiet, wonderfully clear and unobstructed bit of road.
... fully in the moment.
... harmonizing
... I hit the rev limiter in 3rd gear coming out of a bend
Congratulations !

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
If you hit the limiter in 3rd, weren't you traveling plenty fast anyway?
When I took a Kieth Code Super Bike class way back when he told us the when you hit the rev limiter it was time to shift.
I haven't done it on the 04 Wee cus I'm not sure it has one. I used to hit the rev limiter on my BMW 1100RT in 1st and 2nd getting on the freeway. Some mechanics suggest it's a good idea to really get the oil pressure up and clean out the build up of sludge under the valve shims. Most riders don't run the engine at higher revs and may not be using the engine to it's best performance. I know I'm guilty of being happy in the mid range.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
You can imagine how much "not fun" the idiotic 6200 rpm rev limiter on the Honda 700s. And it's a hard limit ....feels like the bike has run into a marshmallow.
At least with the 650 you have some headroom.
This is nothing I had a bike which would shutdown when you hit rev limit. Needed to turn off power and back on and then hit start button to fire up.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
oooooooookay o_O :eek:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Where is the rev limit? I'm guessing @11k. I usually shift before 10k if I'm riding aggressively. Power seems to max out before that.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Out for a ride last week, all the ducks in a row! On my own on a very twisty, smooth, quiet, wonderfully clear and unobstructed bit of road. I was really having a great time wringing out the revs on my 650 when all of a sudden I hit the rev limiter in 3rd gear coming out of a bend, gave me a hell of a fright. Very abrupt wake up call that I don't want to repeat, I was not paying attention to the gauges (tacho especially) just fully in the moment. Kind of put a dampener on my ride. Have not hit the rev limiter on any other bike that I have owned over the years, a new experience. Not complaining about my bike just my silly lack of attention, this could have ended badly if I had needed more speed that I could not have.
Love this bike, we were harmonising so well up till that moment, not the bikes fault. I will have to be more carefull in the future.
The 650 is very happy to rev, that's for sure. Keeping the revs up in the twisties, accelerating and braking with the engine, is a blast. Keeping the revs in the 6k to 9k range is cake because it is so quick and easy to shift. Practice/experience will make perfect.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
The only two points to hit in the rev range are maximum torque or maximum horsepower.. hitting anything else is a waste of time, no point damaging an engine for nothing.

·
Registered
315 Posts
You need the 1000. Doesn't happen with that :sneaky:

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
"no point damaging an engine for nothing".

I do believe the rev limiter if there to prevent engine damage from over revving. Running at the WFO bouncing off the limiter would be aggravating but not detrimental. I remember listening to the race bikes popping and farting as they hit the limiters on the track.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like I said not intentional. I owned a Kawasaki ZZR250 many years ago with a
14,500rpm red line. Revving that to 12,000rpm felt like mechanical cruelty. I try to mechanically sympathetic, things have a much longer life that way. Will pay more attention in future, I know the rev limiter is there to protect the engine, it was not harmed. Going out later today for another fun ride keeping below the limiter.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
... I know the rev limiter is there to protect the engine, it was not harmed. Going out later today for another fun ride keeping below the limiter.
I think everyone here knows that you knew. I'm sure that you also know that your fun doesn't have to be "limiter_ed" if you just upshift. Over the years, I have come to understand that under most circumstances it is helpful to upshift as I enter a turn and just before I tip it in. The circumstance includes when my nerve is way closer to its limit than is my available traction and lean angle. Even though I have closed the throttle, by upshifting the engine braking isn't collapsing my front suspension and lifting the weight off the rear contact patch. The result is a much calmer, less chaotic arch through the corner. Add in a little less front braking and the corner speed stays up and the adrenaline goes down. The fact is that I was never really in a 3rd gear corner, _ I was really in a 4th gear corner all along.

Hopefully someone can explain this better than I just did but when you see that old dude peacefully ride away from you looking like he isn't even working at it .... that is the smoothness I'm always after.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The first time I hit the rev limiter on my ancient DL 1000 I was really startled. It felt like I was going over the handlebars. That was in second, I think. Someone said it was like running into a marshmallow. Much like that. I like the idea of shifting up a gear entering a corner, especially one that you could take at high rpm in a low gear.

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
I've gotten used to the power, such that it is of the 04 Wee. Occasionally I wring the snot out of it and it goes well.
Depends on what you expect of performance. Passing a sluggy group of HD's at 90 feels pretty good. especially before the next set of twisties.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts