StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joined Stromtroopers over 10 years ago when I bought my first Wee. Put 12,000 miles on that one but missed the power of my previous bike, a Honda ST1300. So I sold it and bought another Honda. Finally the heat from that bike got to me, trying to ride it in Texas summers. So I bought another Wee. Loved that one too, but I got bored with it and traded for a Yamaha WR250r for off road riding. Put quite a few miles on that running dirt in West Texas. But I'm old now so I didn't want to fall down so I traded that on another road bike, a Yamaha FJ09. Now I've moved back to Wis, which is my home state after a 30 yr absence. The FJ is a great bike but it doesn't like rough roads. With Wisc rough winters, the roads are a lot more bumpy than Arizona. So I'm going back to the Suzuki family. I've got my eye on a 2014 VEE. I'd like the extra power, and I want the factory bags, so as soon as the snow stops falling, I'm going to make the deal.

Any thing I should know about the Vee?. Its got 25,000 miles but its in great shape and the price is right. Plus its good to be back on this forum. Been gone quite awhile. I'm now retired. We spent 3 years full time in an Rv traveling the west and midwest. But with health issues, we needed a permanent home.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Welcome back to the Forum. The L4 Veek ownership is a good reason to return to the fold. I suggest that you should confirm whether any recalls where addressed on the bike that you intend buying. Owners of these rides will be able to give you more pointer so on what to inspect (eg stator / clutch judder / rust / etc), before you make the deal. Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Welcome back to WI. Quite a few stromtroopers here in WI. Where abouts are you. There are some great roads in SW WI. to enjoy.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Welcome back! Here's my cut-n-paste reply to this question! (I own an 04 Vee.)

When looking at an "older" 1000, be prepared for these "gotchas":

1. Loose Rotor Magnets - causes charging issues (low voltage even at high revs) - diy fix with j.b. weld if all the magnets are in tact, $290 fix if you buy a new rotor. Can't tell for sure until you remove the left side case...which you probably won't on a test ride

2. Bad Stator - causes charging issues (low voltage when checking AC volts at the connector). $280 fix. You may be able to check this on a test ride, but you'll need a multimeter and a phillips screwdriver, and some time to fish out the connector

3. Bad R/R - causes charging issues (seeing higher than 15.5v at higher revs). Only real fix is to replace with a series-type r/r. $200

4. Bad clutch basket - easy to determine; sounds like there's gravel in the clutch basket when you release the lever in neutral at idle. $310 - $595 fix

5. Bad steering head bearings - lift the front tire off the ground (put bike on centerstand, have somebody push down on the back of the seat) and gently swing the handle bars past center a few times; if there seems to be a "detent" in the middle, you'll be needing new bearings. Unknown cost, but lots of labor.

6. Front Suspension – stock fork springs are pretty soft. Also, the PO may have done something strange; in my case one fork leg had ATF, the other leg had motor oil. There were different amounts in each leg! And, the tops of the forks should be even with the triple tree. My forks were 6mm higher, indicating the PO had lowered the suspension.

7. Rear suspension – stock rear spring is pretty soft. Is it raised or lowered? On the stock centerstand, the rear wheel should be roughly ½” from the ground. Mine is nearly 2” from the ground, indicating the PO had lowered the suspension (longer “dogbones” / “lowering links”). (Tire on the ground would mean shorter “dogbones” / “raising links”.) Seems backwards, but it’s correct. :)

8. Front brakes – stock are soft, and not very powerful. Can be updated to modern 4-pots and braided steel lines for much better feel and power, for roughly $300-$350.

9. Sprockets and chain – a worn chain can cause sudden unintended engine disassembly. I’ve discovered this first hand. Check the chain!!

10. Front wheel bearings – sometimes they’ve gone bad, especially if large potholes have been encountered. If there’s a detent in the steering head bearing, there’s likely a dent in the front rim and a grindy or loose wheel bearing.

11. Rear wheel and sprocket carrier bearings – could be worn, need to check them

12. Misc – Water leaks, fuel leaks, fuel flow issues, valve adjustments, throttle body adjustments, throttle position sensor adjustments, rear wheel spacer shim mod, aftermarket exhaust, power commander.

All these issues and their fixes are fully documented here; do a search. I know about them because I just bought an '04 1000 with 60k miles, and I have 12 of the 12 issues. Didn't do my research first, so now I have to fix all this stuff. Since I payed way too much for the bike for the condition it is in, the bike is now costing me much more than the original price. My bad for buying a bike without knowing this ahead of time!

Whatever the person is asking, talk him down by $1200 - $1500 and bank that money for the above fixes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its at a dealership 25000 miles, asking 7K, but its a 2014 so its the updated version. Thanks for the info. well worth checking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like your listing is about $2500 bucks. Maybe I should look around more. Maybe some 2018's or 19's I can get at a major discount?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Don't know where you're located but here's some 2014 Vee's I've found.

·
Registered
673 Posts
My apologies; I missed the "2014" model year in your post. I think at least a couple of the issues I mentioned don't exist in that generation...but I'm not sure which ones. Somebody savvy in that gen will hopefully speak up here!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found one in LaCrosse that was only a few years old, low miles and hard bags to boot. I'm going to keep looking. I'm betting I can find a pretty good deal on a low mileage 1000

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Update your profile with a location. That would make helping easier.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Joined Stromtroopers over 10 years ago when I bought my first Wee. Put 12,000 miles on that one but missed the power of my previous bike, a Honda ST1300. So I sold it and bought another Honda. Finally the heat from that bike got to me, trying to ride it in Texas summers. So I bought another Wee. Loved that one too, but I got bored with it and traded for a Yamaha WR250r for off road riding. Put quite a few miles on that running dirt in West Texas. But I'm old now so I didn't want to fall down so I traded that on another road bike, a Yamaha FJ09. Now I've moved back to Wis, which is my home state after a 30 yr absence. The FJ is a great bike but it doesn't like rough roads. With Wisc rough winters, the roads are a lot more bumpy than Arizona. So I'm going back to the Suzuki family. I've got my eye on a 2014 VEE. I'd like the extra power, and I want the factory bags, so as soon as the snow stops falling, I'm going to make the deal.

Any thing I should know about the Vee?. Its got 25,000 miles but its in great shape and the price is right. Plus its good to be back on this forum. Been gone quite awhile. I'm now retired. We spent 3 years full time in an Rv traveling the west and midwest. But with health issues, we needed a permanent home.
Welcome grey...
I also sold my ST1300 because the engine heat was so uncomfortable. I ended up with a 2104 V and found the power similar to the ST1300. The brakes are powerful and stop quick. Very smooth ride for touring and great in the twisties. All at very reasonable price. Yes, I am a big fan of the V2.
I have owned my V2 longer than any other street bike, 3 years. And, I still plan on keeping it.
I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts