StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I used to ride a Suzuki 250 then 550 when a student in London and for stupid family reasons drifted away from biking for way too long (40 years!). Now back after a refresher with a 2015 VStrom 1000 and love it. I must say I am on a steep learning curve and just rode back from working 300 miles away after work last night and could hardly get off the bike. Does it get easier or do I need to get a softer seat?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Basherdoc,
Welcome, ou made a great choice when you purchased the 1000. I have well over 40,000 miles on my OEM 1000 seat, and am just fine with it. Obviously, it is a personal thing. There must be a number of threads discussing aftermarket seats for the 1000 if you are interested. It did not take long for my seat to break in, but if you are more comfortable with a soft seat, the OEM might not be for you. Other than standing on my pegs periodically for a short time to "get off my ass", I am fine with the OEM seat for full days of riding. :smile2:

·
Registered
14,170 Posts
Hola,
Distance riding takes a bit of getting used to. There are many after market seats, none of which will you know if it works until you've spent big bucks.
Low cost alternatives are a sheep skin, beads and Air Hawk seat toppers, etc.
Take time and get used to the bike, it's a great ride.

·
Registered
922 Posts
When I was much younger I could ride all day on any crummy stock seat, now an aftermarket seat is the 1st accessory I add to a new bike. I think the extra 40 yrs is more the issue than the seat itself. Sargent works for me, but as mentioned there are lots of options.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Your body will adapt. You are using different mussels than sitting passively in a car. And three hundred miles is a long ride.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Basherdoc.

I have a K6 Wee and its OEM seat and I did not get along. Tried a DL1000 seat and it was a tad better but still and hour or two and it was stop and stretch time. I finally gave in and got a Russell Day Long. I now don't even get off to gas up.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I can have the worlds most comfortable seat but if I hop on a bike and lock into position for a couple hours I'll be stiff, sore and look like a 103 year old chronic arthritis sufferer getting off the bike.

If I get on the bike and move around say every 20 minutes or so by standing up on the pegs for a few minutes, feet up on the crash bars/highway pegs next time, feet dangling after that, dangle one foot at a time, feet on the pillion pegs then mix this rotation I am much better off once I stop.

This is also why I feel better riding on a motorcycle verses riding in a vehicle especially with bucket seats that lock you into position where you can barely more around and keep the blood flowing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts