Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess the grace period for the enhanced driver's license/ID has lapsed.

They let us back in yesterday but made sure to let us know that 2 of the three of us were not in compliance. I had just applied for my enhanced DL a couple days earlier so I had the paper copy and was good to go but my son and wife only had picture ID and birth certificate.

It was interesting that Canada let us in but US could've turned us away on our return trip.

Just an FYI for others considering a ride north.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
What grace period? A driver's license has be inadequate for many years.

For a U.S. citizen flying from Canada to the U.S., you need a passport or a NEXUS card.

For a U.S. citizen driving or boating from Canada to the U.S., you need a passport, or NEXUS card, or enhanced driver's license, or passport card, or Global Entry card (into the U.S. only, not to enter Canada--the others work both ways).
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/74/~/us-citizens---documents-needed-for-entry-into-the-u.s.

And NEXUS or Global Entry helps one slide through the TSA & customs checkpoints in the airports. NEXUS seems to be the best for one who makes fairly frequent trips across the border. Everyone in the car (or on the bike) must have the card in order to get through the special NEXUS lane.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What grace period? A driver's license has be inadequate for many years.
OOOPS, guess I haven't thought about crossing the border for a long time (nearly 13 years since the last time I was there) I thought the enhanced ID was optional as a convenience.

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
America has been paranoid since 911. The most educated, erudite scholars grace our borders and they give them guns and tell them to be brave and vigilant.
Passports have de rigueur for a long time. Don't leave the country without it.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Obama's border Nazi's..... this is why I no longer travel to the USA...

your paranoia has made your borders unwelcoming... I prefer to spend my dollars elsewhere for that reason....

·
Registered
2,896 Posts

your paranoia has made your borders unwelcoming... I prefer to spend my dollars elsewhere for that reason....
odd, I just went to the adirondacks via the 1000 islands crossing, and came back via the Ogdensburg crossing and didn't have any trouble at all. In both cases I was about 2 minutes talking to the guard. Where are you going? how long? where are you staying? are you going to be working? Enjoy your stay.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
America has been paranoid since 911.
Obama's border Nazi's
Uh...the document requirements have been in effect since 2004. Actually things have gotten easier since then with NEXUS, enhanced driver's licenses from certain states, and other programs.

I know, with one or two exceptions the U.S. inspectors are uniformly grumpy. And the Canadian inspectors used to be 99% congenial...the percentage has been slipping in recent years in my experience.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
odd, I just went to the adirondacks via the 1000 islands crossing, and came back via the Ogdensburg crossing and didn't have any trouble at all. In both cases I was about 2 minutes talking to the guard. Where are you going? how long? where are you staying? are you going to be working? Enjoy your stay.

I used to find it that way crossing from Ontario at Ogdensberg as well, to go skiing at Whiteface.

The WA State crossings out here are ..... different. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
833 Posts

Most of my rides are done south of the border, mostly in Maine and New-Hampshire. Never felt that way here. Always the same questions: Where am I from, where I am going, how long I will stay, sometimes: what I do for living, do I carry more than 10,000$....
Usually I am gone in less than 3 minutes. 3 times I was asked to open my topcase and it was the same inspector.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Last summer on our ride from Seattle to Northern Alaska and back we crossed the border 4 times .Except for a little traffic I don't think we spent a total of more 1/2 hour on all 4.
I have no complaints about safety,it's kinda like the TSA.If they keep me and my family safe (and 1,000's of people on the ground)at 30,000 feet and a few people feel the rights were violated that seems ok.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I know, with one or two exceptions the U.S. inspectors are uniformly grumpy. And the Canadian inspectors used to be 99% congenial...the percentage has been slipping in recent years in my experience.
Yup, my experiences exactly. Never had a bad experience with the Canadians.

I did have an interrogation from a young guy crossing back into the US in Maine early on a Sunday morning a few years ago.

Do you have any prescription drugs with you?

Well, yeah, I'm an old guy.

How do you have them?

What do you mean?

Are they in the original containers or a "day planner"?

Day planner.

They are supposed to be in the original containers.

I'm on a motorcycle with limited storage space.

Are any of them narcotics?

No, just something for asthma, something to pee, something to poop, BP meds, cholesterol meds, something to get it up, etc. Don't ever get old, man, it sucks.

They are supposed to be in the original containers.

He let me go, without issue, but I now carry duplicate prescription labels in my wallet that come from the pharmacy.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
and a few people feel the rights were violated that seems ok.
Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I had originally started this thread to pass along what I thought was useful information only to later find out that apparently I was the only one who did not know this useful information... now comes the derailment...

Benjamin Franklin - "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

I don't deserve or have all my rights in Canada because I surrender them at the border if I choose to visit that country and perhaps the whole TSA thing is appropriate when your plane lands in a different country but within the borders of the U.S. we should be listening to the wisdom of Ben Franklin.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I hate crossing the border, but I love traveling to the US so I put up with it. Anyone who would stay home to avoid these issues are going to miss out on a whole lot in life.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hate crossing the border, but I love traveling to the US so I put up with it. Anyone who would stay home to avoid these issues are going to miss out on a whole lot in life.
The reason why I choose to leave my gun behind when I visit Canada, it's not allowed there but I would miss out on the good parts of Canada if I remained within the borders of the US in order to retain that right.

Sorry brother if I ruffled some feathers but the safety and well being of me and my family come first,we just have different opinions.Sent from Motorcycle.com App
No worries, we are each allowed to our opinions and ways of thinking, I just don't appreciate the cost of having big brother look out for my security and would prefer to be responsible for my own because I can be there 15 minutes before the cops arrive so it is my opinion that big brother security ain't all that secure.

Documents in order before crossing the border either way (and remember the rules are different each way) CHECK.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
it should be noted, that it is not entirely my choice to no longer travel to the US, I was denied entry for a 30 year old assault charge. The only blight on my record. I had travelled by air on business in the USA for over 70,000 miles since 911 and crossed at the borders countless times. Till one day in 2012 when HS decided I was a potential revenue source and denied me entry.
Apparantly for 800 dollars a year I can buy my way into the USA, something I will never do. That is my choice.

so tell me.... still feeling safe because of this Money grab?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts

The USA is neither unique nor special, there is nothing there that is not here or elsewhere on the planet...

I am missing out on nothing....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts