StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was trying to move my windshield up from the lowest to the highest point on my 2015 VStrom 650 and I found out that if you're not careful, you can push the threads encased in rubber through the panel. Now I have one rubber thread somewhere behind the windshield (above the headlight) and I'm wondering what the easiest and/or best way is to access that area? (i.e. which panels to remove)
I'm relatively new at working on a VStrom, so I'm just looking for as much guidance as possible before I mess something else up haha
Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I looked at the fairing and it looked like a hassle, especially considering I wasn't 100% where exactly the well nut fell. So yeah, bought new pack of 10-32 well nuts and installed the windshield. I was able to use the same screw.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just adjusted my 2012 Adventure windscreen for the first time and lost one into the cowling. I got very lucky and was able to eventually shake it out (after some curse words and taking a break to shop for after-market screens). I removed the rest safely by running a length of electrical wire through the hole before removal. I then pushed them through the cowling and then pulled them off the wire.

For the life of me, I could not re-insert them from the front. The bulbous rubber middle would not push or twist through. So I used the wire again. I threaded the wire through the hole in the cowling, threaded the nut on the wire, tied a knot on the wire so the nut would not fall off, then pulled the wire and nut through the cowling (back to front). I used a small screw driver to gently pry the flat rubber grommet piece through the hole, then replaced the windshield.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The trick to inserting from the front is to thread the screw in a couple threads. Hold the rubber body while gently pushing the screw. This will stretch and thin the rubber body, allowing it to go in the hole.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
In addition to above tip, one could also apply a soapy lube mix (diluted dish washing liquid) to the rubber.

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
In addition to above tip, one could also apply a soapy lube mix (diluted dish washing liquid) to the rubber.
The well nut requires a bit of friction to keep it from spinning when you insert the screw. I've never had to lube one. Just insert the screw a few turns and stretch the rubber a bit and it'll slip right in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts