StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am having difficulty finding a restrictor kit for a Suzuki v-Strom DL1000 could anyone help?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,439 Posts
Never heard of one for that bike. I assume this is to allow it to fit into a driver license class? Probably harder to make the liter bikes fit the horsepower bracket.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Never heard of one for that bike. I assume this is to allow it to fit into a driver license class? Probably harder to make the liter bikes fit the horsepower bracket.
In fact, it's not even allowed here in NL (and I assume the rest of EU too). Only bikes up to a certain amount of kW can be detuned to a lower kW and thus qualify for a lower license class.

In NL, there's three classes of licenses:
A1: max 125cc, max 11kW, max 0.1kW/kg, minimum age 18
A2: max 35kW, max 0.2 kW/kg, minimum age 20/21 (20 only if you held an A1 for two years)
A: Unrestricted, minimum age 22/24 (22 only if you held an A2 for two years)

Category A1 has a cylinder size restriction so you can't detune a bigger engine. If you have a 125cc engine with too much kW, it can be detuned to 11kW. The detuner will give you a power graph specific for your bike (with frame numbers and everything) to certify it has been detuned properly. This then needs to be registered with the insurance and the authorities.

Category A2 gives more options because there's no cylinder size restriction. However, for the purposes of the A2 class, you're not allowed to detune to below 35kW if the original engine produced more than 70kW. So a DL650 (originally 49 kW) can be detuned to fit the A2 category, but a DL1000 (originally 72 kW) can not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts