StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 DL650 Vstrom:
I know this subject has been beaten to death but I've reasearched all the fourms/websites I can find and I'm getting anywhere from 125 to 175 watts in reserve. I know my alternator output is 400W. The lighting system uses 188W. That's all I can find. I thought I'd go to the source and called Suzuki USA and they varified my numbers for the lighting system and said that I shoud have around 200 reserve, but they couldn't supply the doucmentation. Can anyone tell me where to find what the rest of the system uses?
Thanks

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The system load and output varies. Some things that make a difference are rpm, fuel pump, stepper motors, ABS, brake lights and signal lights. Figure 125-150W on average will be available. If you plan on pushing the envelope, mount a voltmeter. Don't go below the 12.6-12.8 break even point for long periods. Cutting out one headlight in the daytime will give you another 55W for other stuff.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I always heard there was 6 amps surplus if everything else is perfect and battery is healthy.

I will and others have shut off 1 headlight when they need accessory power like full heated clothes. The best would be 1 HID headlight

The electrical system is delicate

Fools plug in where Angels fear to connect.

·
38,104 Posts
I started out pulling a plug. Now I have a switch. I can run a jacket liner, grips, gloves and socks down to freezing temps and I have 25W less than you. I do have 35W HID headlights that consume 40-44W though.

·
Registered
199 Posts
snip...
Don't go below the 12.6-12.8 break even point for long periods.
That is the ideal voltage, of course.

I've found though, that in actual application you can go as low as 12.25 volts. The battery won't be completely charged, but will start the bike.

Ron :mrgreen:

·
38,104 Posts
That is the ideal voltage, of course.

I've found though, that in actual application you can go as low as 12.25 volts. The battery won't be completely charged, but will start the bike.

Ron :mrgreen:
It depends on how long it was running how low and what condition the battery is in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2011 DL650 Vstrom:
I know this subject has been beaten to death but I've reasearched all the fourms/websites I can find and I'm getting anywhere from 125 to 175 watts in reserve. I know my alternator output is 400W. The lighting system uses 188W. That's all I can find. I thought I'd go to the source and called Suzuki USA and they varified my numbers for the lighting system and said that I shoud have around 200 reserve, but they couldn't supply the doucmentation. Can anyone tell me where to find what the rest of the system uses?
Thanks
Thanks for the info. I'm just using a Gerbing Jacket liner, Gloves and a GPS everything seems to be fine, but I think I might add a Pant liner and Socks. Looks like a cutoff switch on one of my lights will do the trick. I'm sorry I just now got back to the page, but I'm new to this Forum thing and frankly I kinda got lost. Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts