StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a trip up to Canada from Oregon during the third week of August and was curious if I'll need motel reservations ahead of time. I'm kind of assuming there will be a ton of vacationers there on holiday, hence the question. The overnight towns I'm probably going to visit are:

Hope, BC
Revelstoke, BC
Jasper, AB
Kamloops, BC

I don't need fancy accommodations, just a clean and safe place to park it for the night and get some shut-eye. Any suggestions or recommendations?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Those are all pretty busy summer locales, you might want to book ahead.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hi Steve,
I'll be at the Salmon Arm Roots & Blues Festival around that time, but feel free to call me (250 554 2539), I may be in town. I think you will need reservations for all the towns you mentioned at this time of the year. Maybe consider some of the smaller towns along the way, e.g. Merritt is only an hour from Hope and 45 mins. from Kamloops - though the Grasslands hotel burned down yesterday!
http://www.tourismmerritt.com

Enjoy BC.
Al

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had given some brief consideration to staying in one or more hostels, if nothing else but to save enough money to cover the cost of a possibly nicer place in the next town. The exchange rate right now is pretty much even; when I went to Victoria back in 1997 or so it was in my favor quite a bit; not so lucky now.

I've done some checking online and have found a place in Hope and Revelstoke that have rooms available. I haven't checked Jasper, AB nor Kamloops yet. I'm guessing Jasper will probably be the toughest.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm guessing that you're doing the Revelstoke/Lk. Louise/Jasper circle - or maybe the other way round? Anywhere in the National Parks will be crowded in August. German-as-a-second-language will be helpful, watch for rental RVs.

Al

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah. My intended route was Leavenworth, Washington to Hope, BC --> Revelstoke, BC --> Jasper, AB --> Kamloops, BC --> Vancouver, BC via Whistler, BC --> home

I've been hearing horror stories about how crowded that area can be with tourists (of any language) and land barges (RVs).

One dumb question, though ... I don't have a passport. Am I going to have problems getting back and forth across the border into Canada and then back into the US?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Good point! As far as I know it's not a problem at the moment for land crossings - the 'coastal' guys will know for sure. Canada isn't quite as paranoid as the US so we'll let you in OK, returning home shouldn't be a problem for you?
You can take Hwy 3 from Hope east to Penticton, then 97 north through the Okanagan valley to Revelstoke. Or you could cross into BC at Oroville, Wash. and follow 97 north. Tons of options.

Al

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Change of plans

I guess I didn't plan my expenditures properly. I needed to get bigger side cases (Givi E41's) so my wife can go with me on trips (asking her to pack light would be like asking her to breathe less) and I noticed I'm going to need new tires before my trip...

So that means I have to cut my trip short several days ...

So after looking at possible trip routes, I decided I'll head east to Lolo Pass into Missoula, then loop back around through northern Idaho and Washington, then down through central Washington back to home.

I'll put Banff/Jasper on my calendar for next year and maybe I'll have my passport by then. :)

Thanks for all your advice and offers of support.

·
Webfoot
851 Posts
Sorry to hear about having to make some sacrifices. Most of us can relate - I know I can.

I did a similar trip to what you are talking about last year. Lolo pass is not to be missed. But I think my favorite part is US-95 in Idaho. Varying terrain from high desert brush to pondo forests and HUGE valleys, to riverside riding while watching all the white water rafters. It was hot, of course, but well worth it to me. Here's the route.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts