StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are still a good 15 years from retirement, but we're already starting to think about where we may want to end up. It's pretty much a given that we'll be leaving our cold northern state for somewhere warmer.

We're beginning to plan some vacation trips over the next 5 years or so to start investigating possible relocation sites. I'm compiling a list of places to check out, and I'm hoping to get some suggestions.

Places already on the list include:
  • Tampa to Orlando, FL and north
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Central CA
  • Nashville, TN
The Gotta-Haves:
  • Warm weather (at least most of the year)
  • Close proximity to enjoyable motorcycling roads
  • Access to other outdoorsy activities (fishing, hunting, camping, etc.)
  • Nearby waterways
The Super-Niceta-Haves:
  • Proximity to the coast (ocean or Caribbean)
  • Nothing larger than mid-sized cities (500K pop.)
  • Greenery (little interest in desert living)
We're open to all recommendations.

·
Registered
904 Posts
You may want to check out Asheville, NC.

·
Registered
587 Posts
My wife and I are still a good 15 years from retirement, but we're already starting to think about where we may want to end up. It's pretty much a given that we'll be leaving our cold northern state for somewhere warmer.

We're beginning to plan some vacation trips over the next 5 years or so to start investigating possible relocation sites. I'm compiling a list of places to check out, and I'm hoping to get some suggestions.

Places already on the list include:
  • Tampa to Orlando, FL and north
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Central CA
  • Nashville, TN
The Gotta-Haves:
  • Warm weather (at least most of the year)
  • Close proximity to enjoyable motorcycling roads
  • Access to other outdoorsy activities (fishing, hunting, camping, etc.)
  • Nearby waterways
The Super-Niceta-Haves:
  • Proximity to the coast (ocean or Caribbean)
  • Nothing larger than mid-sized cities (500K pop.)
  • Greenery (little interest in desert living)
We're open to all recommendations.
A friend has a condo/townhouse in Sun City, AZ. Great location and has a river. 300-400 km ride (easy in a half day) gets you to Las Vegas, California, New Mexico and Mexico. Another couple of hundred kms (say a comfortable day ride) and you're deep into all the above plus Nevada, Utah & Colorado (not everyone gets to see the 4 corners). It is a tad warm in summer, though.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
937 Posts
Check Prescott, Az. Cold winters, but you can ride year round, except for a little bit of snow around Christmas time. Nice mountain roads, day ride to the coast. Also has a full VA medical center, if that matters.
(If you'll be using civilian drs, Sun City, mentioned above, is king. 100 miles south of Prescott, so still close to plenty good riding, but it is the desert, 100+° summers.)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Hey locoblanco, gotta laugh about Prescott. My daughter lives there and they got snow before we did this winter, and several times has sent me pics of several inches of snow.o_O and temps in the teens.
The elevation there is over a mile high. I did ride out there a couple of years ago and it is beautiful country for sure.
Beautiful, but don't think that is what bajakirch is looking for. :)

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I like living in Las Vegas because we can ride all year. Yes summer is hot so not ideal but many areas are close by. Two hours north you are in Utah, an hour south you are in Arizona, head southwest and you are in Southern California. In the Southwest elevation is the key. Two weeks ago I was riding in Southern California for a few days and it was in the high 60’s. In summer we have mountains (with trees) to ride to or I can head up to Utah for some Great National Parks. The best part about the Southwest is low humidity. Not sure why you don’t like desert living. So think about a winter vacation out this way and then make a decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
458 Posts
If you are considering florida or the deep south, go there in the middle of the summer. Heat and High Humidity. the humidity may surprise you. I have had friends go to florida in the summer and they were glad to get back to Phoenix. I have been in the deep south and you can leave your house with a clean shirt and by the time you are in your car your shirt is already sweaty.

Ned, are you in Prescott? We have a summer place up there.

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Flat roads in Florida tho excellent roads a bit further north and way too humid.

You actually have enough time to consider moving to west coast Canada with access to wonderful riding to both the north and south, pretty much year round riding and oh yeah ...healthcare. :giggle:

Of course Seattle covers that as well. Rain is a factor tho places like Summerland BC do not get much at all.

snip

Summerland is popular because of its idyllic situation on Okanagan Lake and sandy beaches, a playground for three major Canadian population centres (Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton). Both tourism and tourist attractions are a significant industry. Agriculture, featuring fresh tree fruits (peaches, cherries, apricots, apples and pears), and canneries, were the economic engine of the region until the late 20th century. Stone fruit and apples are now produced mainly for the fresh market (local and export). Over the past 20 years, Summerland has become home to several world-renowned wineries, and despite being in a semi-arid climate, has several golf courses. Summerland is also home to the historic Kettle Valley Steam Railway. The railway runs constantly, taking tourists on a trip around the Dale Meadows region of Summerland and further, eventually ending at the famous Trout Creek Trestle. Tourism Summerland[7] guides visitors to Summerland attractions and events.
and you are in the heart of some of the best riding on the continent. It's nice to have 4 seasons and of course you have skiing in the mountains but the winters are very mild in the inland valleys.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Northwestern Arkensaw would certainly be on my list of options. Lowish cost of living, beautiful Ozark mountains, great riding. Their motto is "The Natural State" plenty of game and fishing . Short, mild winter most years.lower humidity on avg than the southeast.
The Rodgers-Springdale-Fayetteville metro area would also check your 500k population box.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are considering florida or the deep south, go there in the middle of the summer. Heat and High Humidity. the humidity may surprise you. I have had friends go to florida in the summer and they were glad to get back to Phoenix. I have been in the deep south and you can leave your house with a clean shirt and by the time you are in your car your shirt is already sweaty.

Ned, are you in Prescott? We have a summer place up there.

Cheers

RLBranson
cottonwood... verde valley...other side of mingus mountain

·
Registered
14,504 Posts
Pretty much everywhere East of the Continental Divide has cold winters and the chance of heavy rains and tornadoes.
Your central Cal idea has merit. Decent climate, Some small towns that are quiet but you still have access to your motorcycle roads. Biggest down side is that while there is much to do in Calif, everything else is a long distance away. The foothills of the Sierras have some nice communities. One sure thing each year is the Tule Fog in the Central Valley.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Hey locoblanco, gotta laugh about Prescott. My daughter lives there and they got snow before we did this winter, and several times has sent me pics of several inches of snow.o_O and temps in the teens.
The elevation there is over a mile high. I did ride out there a couple of years ago and it is beautiful country for sure.
Beautiful, but don't think that is what bajakirch is looking for. :)
Cottonwood isn't that far away and has about 2000 feet less elevation.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
How bout Hawaii?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Cottonwood isn't that far away and has about 2000 feet less elevation.
Have to admit, it can be unpredictable, but they do get the main roads cleared quickly.
Also, we are talking about retirement, so if it snows you can stay home. (I do.)
Cottonwood/Verde Valley are good alternatives close by.
For me the VA medical center was the deal maker.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
How bout Hawaii?
Not much riding except the Big Island and traffic is horrid on some of them.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Most parts of Australia will tick your boxes

1 - 20 of 39 Posts