StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my v-strom new in 06. I am thinking of doing something different. I've been looking at the for sale listings. It seem those bikes don't hold there value very well. Are is anything used selling well today? It's a shame to get give away a very versatile machine. Just saying.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Out here one of those with fairly low mileage goes for about $4k or a touch more. Considering most people probably paid somewhere around $6k for one new I don't see that as poor resale value over a space of 8 years. What do you think it should bring that would be 'good' resale value?l

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Out here one of those with fairly low mileage goes for about $4k or a touch more. Considering most people probably paid somewhere around $6k for one new I don't see that as poor resale value over a space of 8 years. What do you think it should bring that would be 'good' resale value?l
I agree. They keep the resale value very well.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
If you want to experience true motorcycle sales disappointment sometime, try selling a used Harley. There's no sting quite like that moment when you contemplate what you paid for it, and then finding out what someone is willing to give you for it.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Wees are bikes for the budget-conscious. Used, even more so. Best bet is to strip it down to stock, get what you can for it, and sell the accessories here. Could probably get almost as much for the accessories and still have the bike as I am currently asking for my Wee. Just can't bring myself to dissemble such a nice package...yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes LordSmoke you are right. This is a great bike. I have taken such good care of the bike. I think it should bring more. I must lower my price. Get what I can and move on.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Get what I can and move on.
Glad you finally realize that. Well, I got $17 in my wallet right now with your name on it...send me your address and I'll come get that bike out of your way for ya :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Values are always relative to the times and the geography, I have a friend in Indiana who had to ship his new Vstrom out of state at cost because there is no market for them there.
Around 1993 and 1994 I had two new HDs an owned both for two years. Sold them for what I had in them because the market was hot at that time. Its not that way anymore.
When its all said and done they are used bikes theres no reason in the world for a used one to value anywhere close to the cost of a new one,

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
With Harleys they were offering such good financing terms on new bikes that it made it just about pointless (at least where I'm at) to sell a used one. Cranking out 200,000 bikes a year kind of slams the used bike market, for sure.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I bought my v-strom new in 06. I am thinking of doing something different. I've been looking at the for sale listings. It seem those bikes don't hold there value very well. Are is anything used selling well today? It's a shame to get give away a very versatile machine. Just saying.
So, I'm not understanding, mainly because you have not posted what you thought you were going to get out of the bike.

The base bike in 06 probably set you back about 6k to 7K. I doubt it is ABS

How much were you thinking the base bike (with X amount of mileage/ no factory warranty and after a major change in the looks of the bike plus 8 years later) should go for?

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Exactly. You can still perhaps get around $3000 for it. So you've lost 50% in 8 years using it. That's about $400 a year! Most of the cars are worth 50% of orginal price in 3 years. And - show me another bike that keeps the value so well.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have had my 2012 adv for over a year now. I was going to trade it in early this summer on the new 2014 1000, at the same dealer I purchased it from early last spring. I bought the 650 brand new for $9,200 otd at that time. He offered me 5 grand for the trade.....I told him he was out of his f'in mind. Still can't believe that, even though that is what KBB shows for trade in value. That's another reason my neighbor keeps buying his Harleys......trade in value. Oh well, I'll just pay it off, keep it, then buy the 1000........

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Harleys don't necessarily have the resale value that they are legendarily believed to have. Check the prices sometime on places like Craigslist, Cycletrader, Chopper Exchange, Ebay, etc. The ones that are priced near KBB retail just sit there for months and months. When I was selling mine, I saw many reasonably priced models like that had been listed for over a year. Unless you have something special, the market is flooded with low mileage Harleys; it's a byproduct of HD selling six figures worth of bikes every year, a lot of which become pristine garage queens. When a guy is asking 15 grand for a five year old Road King with 5000 miles, and I can buy a new one with great financing from HD for 18, it's pretty easy to guess which way to go. The Harley shop I used to deal with was so flooded with used bikes back when I was selling mine that they wouldn't even take a bike on consignment. I didn't get anything even remotely close to KBB value for my Road King, and it was on the market for almost a year.

I pretty much take it as a given that, when I sell or trade a bike, I'm going to take a beating. Usually, it's just a question of "will they or won't they buy me dinner before they screw me royally?".

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Depending on one's riding season, your 06 is eight and a half years old. It was a budget priced bike to begin with, so yeah, you have to take what the market will pay. Or, just keep it and ride it. It may be more enjoyable than a new bike with payments, if you have to make payments.

For reference, I bought a used 06 almost four years ago (December 2010) for $3,100 with quite a few farkles. It wasn't pristine and the seller needed cash, but it was only four seasons old when I bought it for that price. Again, it might be one of those things that is better to keep than to sell.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I have had my 2012 adv for over a year now. I was going to trade it in early this summer on the new 2014 1000, at the same dealer I purchased it from early last spring. I bought the 650 brand new for $9,200 otd at that time. He offered me 5 grand for the trade.....I told him he was out of his f'in mind. Still can't believe that, even though that is what KBB shows for trade in value. That's another reason my neighbor keeps buying his Harleys......trade in value. Oh well, I'll just pay it off, keep it, then buy the 1000........
First of all you paid to much. Second the value goes downn the most in first 1 or 2 years. Plus you never gone get your taxes back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts