StromTrooper banner

Still require oil and windscreen/buffeting posts to be in the assigned stickies or no

• Continue requiring oil and windscreen/buffeting posts to use the sticky threads.

Votes: 46 48.9%
  • Allow anyone to create a new thread on the above subjects.

Votes: 41 43.6%
  • I have an idea so much better the great majority will want it. Post it here.

Votes: 7 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a bit of heat about requiring the use of big oil and windscreen/buffeting sticky threads to be used for those subjects. I'll happily concede to the majority opinion.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Either way works for me. I never had much trouble searching here either with the built-in search utility or google.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I think it's OK to keep the sticky, but if a thread that was initially from another subject and the discussion lead to talk about windshield, that should be less heavily moderated that i saw lately.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Every forum where there are new oil/chain lube/following distance threads allowed there are always "heated discussions" in those threads in short order, sometimes because people are stoopid/lazy, sometimes because they're incredibly selfish/ignorant and sometimes because trolls stir it all up for fun. The only reliable thing is that there WILL be a bun fight. Keeping these things in their own single threads (and pruning the troll posts quickly) makes good sense to me.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I think the problem with the huge stickies is that it is HUGE. Sure, I can use the google search box and type in "Buffeting" and probably get it on the top return, but that thread is HUGE and there is 0 chance I'm going to find exactly what i'm looking for because to do so might mean reading thousands of posts.

That being said, even if I don't find what i want in search, there is no reason why i cannot just post my question in the sticky and it'll get "RE ANSWERED" for the thousandth time.

I don't care about the "Forcing us to use the stickies." What I hate is when I get a rude response from someone saying "How about stop being lazy and use the search box."

Because honestly, that typically will NOT answer the question, and it is just plain rude and uncalled for. Answer the question, if you know it, and move on. We should all make an effort to show common civility to each other.

That said, I vote 1.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Oh, and if you're gonna "Close" a thread because of the violation, please just simply merge it with the correct thread and move on.

And, people, stop calling the Mods names. They are working for free here.

·
38,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Simply merge doesn't happen. Merging a thread is not quick and easy, much less interesting.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I agree with this completely. People seem to want to talk about these subjects. Why not give the subjects their own areas instead of a single thread?
+1. Some of the threads are just too long to read through every message. I would think that most people just wouldn't bother. But with a sub-forum and many messages as opposed to one mega thread some posters can get creative with the subjects making it easier to sift through.

·
38,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Option 2 but require the topics to be started in new forum areas (or sub-areas) pertinent to those topics.
That is #2, no buts about it. I wish people would be more careful about starting threads in the correct forum but moving a thread to a different forum is easy. Merging or separating posts is much more time consuming.

·
38,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One possibility this poll may indicate is how few people actually care.

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
I agree with this completely. People seem to want to talk about these subjects. Why not give the subjects their own areas instead of a single thread?
I'm with SCraig and Wmason.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Maybe it will help a little to reduce your work load.

·
Registered
407 Posts
That is #2, no buts about it. I wish people would be more careful about starting threads in the correct forum but moving a thread to a different forum is easy. Merging or separating posts is much more time consuming.
So based on what is easier for the mods to manage, I think the best solution would be to have sub-forums called "buffeting" or whatever and everything goes there regardless of how many threads there are. Then if someone posts in the wrong forum, you can move it but not have to worry about ever merging again.

That said, I don't know the capabilities of this website. Can it even do sub-forums and sub-sub-forums?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
926 Posts
I like this idea. Either create a sub forum for each of the controversial areas (oil, buffeting, tyres/whatever) or just lump them all in together and let them turn into some kind of online insane asylum.

What I wouldn't like is for these topics to infest other areas of the forum and to have to wade through them all to get to the more interesting discussions.

I'd also like to add that there have been times when I wanted to post something on these topics in their dedicated threads but didn't bother because I assumed that no one would ever read them. However, I must admit that on a quiet week at work, I actually read the entire oil thread from start to finish, one of seven people in the world to have ever done so.

·
38,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There are already too many forums. Having model specific forums near the top of the page tends to cause people to put a question on any subject in the forum for their model bike.

·
Super Moderator
16,231 Posts
Just delete all windscreen and oil questions going forward, talk about redundancy.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts