StromTrooper banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just bought a 2006 DL1000 and have spent about 50 hours pouring through this entire forum. Amazing information and support from you all.

The guy I bought it from used this forum to borrow a Yosh Box to change his ECU, however I ordered a PC3 because the bike is still rough and rumbly in the low RPMs, especially with two up, and I wanted to try some of the great maps provided in the sticky.

Does anyone in California (Pismo, Central Valley, Ventura area) have a Yosh box I can use to reset to factory. I don't want to try and run a PC3 map on top of modifications set by the previous owner.

I called every shop in the area and they either don't have one, or are telling me its all illegal and don't do anything. I just dream of a V-Strom with a smooth engine through all RPM ranges. Thats all.

Thank you so much!

p.s. I found one thread that maybe mentioned having the battery unplugged for 20+ minutes may reset the ECU back to default. Did we disprove this?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,802 Posts
Unclebender, your symptoms are rough and rumbly in the lower rpms. That is not a typical fueling symptom. Not saying proper fueling can't make an improvement in that range, but we typically are trying to eliminate hiccups, and backfires when addressing fueling in that rpm range.

Clutch chudder can cause rough and rumbly operation in the 2500 - 4000 rpm range. Next time you ride try the clutch chudder test. When riding thru the range where you are feeling these rough and rumbly symptoms lightly feather the clutch lever. Just enough to load the pressure plate but not enough that the engine rpms flare up or you feel it slip. Might take a few tries to get the feel of how to do this, but if you feel a significant smoothing out of the symptoms when doing this you can figure you have clutch chudder.

Most owners are pretty satisfied with what the Yosh box tuning provides. You might find you don't need a new Power Commander....

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok clutch sales guy! :D

Haha, I am just kidding. I will definitely give this a try tomorrow. Riding it to work so should have plenty of opportunity to play with the clutch and see if its smooths out like your saying.

Does this seem to also line up with what you are thinking:
-The problem is almost non-existent when I accelerate very very slowly single-rider.
-The problem gets much worse when I have 2 up and am loading the bike down.
-Obviously the problem is worse even when solo but am revving it pretty hard.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,802 Posts
Clutch chudder tends to be more pronounced with heavier loads and heavier throttle.

You would have to be very gentle with the throttle setting to ride thru the chudder zone and not feel much of it! This is the main reason owners say they keep their Vee over 4000 rpm. That rpm keeps you above the worst of the chudder issues.

While the main chudder zone is 2500-4000 rpms, most owners are very surprised at how much smoother the bike is above 4000 rpms under load or just cruising after installing a modified clutch basket.

Yes, I do sell modified clutch baskets. But many here remember that it all started with me looking for a way to fix my own Vee's chudder!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Hook me up, I can lend you my Yoshi box and even help you setup your bike to run smooth as silk. I'm in Fresno.

Sent from my right shoe using the Motorcycle app

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.