Strom Trooper banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am busy designing a new power management subsystem for V-Stroms, to replace the rectifier/regulator. I need to perform a few electrical measurements on a few stock stators while they are installed on the bike. I would be appreciative, (and willing show it with some beers), if a few V-Strom riders in the greater Seattle metropolis (King, Pierce or Snohomish County) would allow me to spend a little time with their bikes parked wherever is convenient.

What I propose to do is:

1. Disconnect the stator from the rectifier (to be restored after the tests.)

2. Check resistance from stator windings to bike chassis. (This is the same check described in the service manual. It assures that the following readings are representative of non-damaged stators. Alternatively, it shows impending stator failure.)

3. Drive a 200 milliAmp DC test current between pin pairs in the stator connector. (This current is about 100 times smaller than the current which flows while the bike is running. It is utterly harmless.)

4. Measure the pin pair DC voltages in response to the DC test currents. This is a precision form of a test called for in the service manual for diagnosing stator failure. (I am measuring resistance in order to predict actual wire heating in response to much higher currents.)

5. Drive pin pairs from a signal generator, whose output is limited to about 200 milliAmps RMS, at frequencies within the 50 to 500 Hertz range generated by the stator when the rotor spins. (Again, this is utterly harmless.)

6. Measure the AC voltages developed at the pin pairs by the AC test signal, using an oscilloscope. (This will facilitate estimation of winding inductance and stator lamination eddy current effects upon impedance.)

7. With the bike running for about 30 seconds each at 2000 RPM and 5000 RPM, measure and observe AC voltage waveforms between pin pairs with an oscilloscope. (This is much easier on the stator than letting it drive the R/R. This test facilitates estimation of the magneto's generation constant and generated harmonic content.)

8. Restore the R/R to stator connection. At the owner's option, treat connections with Deoxit (a tin oxide formation inhibitor) to slow degradation of the connection due to oxide growth.

I will bring all equipment, including an extension cord to power some of it. A side-effect of my tests will be to determine whether your stator is healthy. If desired, I will later provide, based on the measurements specific to your stator, what power is available from it when a conventional regulator is used.

Please PM me if you are willing to help in this way so that we can work out an arrangement.

Thanks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts