StromTrooper banner

Replacing the starter switch...help needed

13K views 36 replies 10 participants last post by  Brainsprain 
#1 ·
Gentlemen (and ladies)

Been struggling with the "headlights out" problem for months now. Installed the EB relay kit, only to realize the damage had been done in the handlebar (starter) switch. So I ordered a new one.

Got the bike stripped of the fairings, tank and air filter in preperation for the new install. But I am having a problem removing the wiring harness that runs up to the starter switch, the black one that sits to the right, behind the radiator. Just can't seem to find a good way in there to disconnect the harness. It looks like if the whole air cleaner assembly came out you could get a few hands in there, but otherwise I dunno.

Any advice here fellas?

-long time lurker, first time poster-

#3 ·
The Black Lab starter switch story is now at Start Switch Maintenance « Black Lab Adventures

The connector from the switch wiring harness is pinned to the radiator shroud. Loosening the radiator for better access may be the way to go.

#9 ·
Thanks, removing the harness from the cowling definitely made it easier to disconnect. Quite a pain in the arse.

Well, got the fairings and tank off and prepping them for paint. Waiting for the new switch via USPS. Anything else I should do in here while she's bare? Topping off coolant, replacing air filter...she's only got 17K on 'er.

#12 ·
They are alive now.

#20 ·
I got some moderator tools a couple of days ago. I can nuke spammers and move oil posts to the big oil thread for example.

#23 ·
:bom_huh2: :confused1: :eek1: :-( :mod2_nono: :toetap05: :bom_thinking2: :bom_idea3: :bom_speechless: :shocked: :eek:rig_frown: :censored: :mad1: :asshole: :bom_rolleyes2: :bom_juggle: :var_6: :mod2_osama: :weapons_38: :weapons_5: :bom_hanged: :bom_behead: :bom_bigcry: :nopity: :mod2_gunsmilie: :var_40: :var_17: :Yawn: :bom_sleeping:

:lol1:

#26 ·
:bom_huh2: :confused1: :eek1: :-( :mod2_nono: :toetap05: :bom_thinking2: :bom_idea3: :bom_speechless: :shocked: :eek:rig_frown: :censored: :mad1: :asshole: :bom_rolleyes2: :bom_juggle: :var_6: :mod2_osama: :weapons_38: :weapons_5: :bom_hanged: :bom_behead: :bom_bigcry: :nopity: :mod2_gunsmilie: :var_17: :Yawn: :bom_sleeping:

:lol1:

You Forgot One.

:beatdeadhorse5:

#29 ·
Nine times out of ten, I'm doing wiring when the tank is off. What do you want to do with your bike?

#30 ·
I want to ride it.

Like I said in earlier posts, I'm just looking for tips on things I could take care of while I've got the bulk of the front end off. It's an '07 Wee with 17K on the clock. I've done all maintenance up to this point, which hasn't amounted to more than routine oil changes, topping off coolant, replacing chain, tires and sprocket (front). I'm not trying to farkle-fy the bike, just wondering if there are things I should take a look at while I've got her dress off.

Planning a 3K mile trip next month and just getting my ducks in a row. If this is getting too off topic I could start a new thread I suppose...

#32 ·
extra wiring

One thing you may want to do is to run a set of wires out from the accessory plug behind the rad while you are there. that way you will be able to use it for possible add-ons at a later date. Should be a plug in there that is just empty and hanging around ,just extend it out too one side to be used at alater date .... this is normally thr plug used for handwarmers so it is already fused to the bike and ready to go ... :thumbup:

#33 ·
Where did you get the starter switch and what did it cost? I think mine is ok now after doing the Black Lab service on it but would like to know where to get a new switch "just in case" it needs to be replaced down the road.

I know this is an old post that I am replying to but hope you see it and reply.

Vic

#34 ·
The entire handlebar control has to be replaced to get a new part. Your profile doesn't show what model you have. Here's one example. #1 is about $90.

#35 ·
Greywolf I know this is an old post but after following all the great advice on this forum I have stripped down the starter switch to find that the thing has burnt out beyond repair so I need a replacement.

I am based in Chile so finding spares can be a challenge. I can order from elsewhere (UK or USA) but need the part numbers.

So that I can help myself in future, where did you find the picture in your last post with part numbers?

#36 ·
#37 ·
This is an old item. What does a good coating of the grease mean? I was concerned that I’d create a short if teh grease on one nub got on the next one since it is conducting grease. What should I use to put the grease on with? I took the thing apart yesterday, put a smudge of grease ( a dolup) on each contact. The switche worked fine but them this morning, I would not. So I’m thinking I may not have put on enough grease. Can grease from one nub touch the grease from the other three?
Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.