StromTrooper banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 V-Strom 650. My wife and I rode this bike up to Alaska last year. During the ride, the chain developed a tight spot (kink). We rode the bike probably another 5,000 miles in this condition. After the trip, work got busy and the bike got parked for a while. I've got some time now and I am preparing the bike for the Fall (which I hope comes at some point - it has been miserable here in Texas). Anyhow, in my going over of the bike I noticed that the chain slider has been eaten through, pretty near to the swing arm :frown:. Here are a couple of pics :fineprint::

Maybe it's not that bad... I am not sure what they look like new, but it doesn't seem like there is much room between what remains of the slider and the actual swing arm (at least near the front).

So I went ahead and ordered a new one, and was seeking any tips, tricks, or advice on installing the new one with minimal dis-assembly of the rear. :bigear:

Jordan

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yeah, it just slides off the end of the swingarm..... after you've disassembled most all the rear-end.:furious:
While your there definetly inspect the swingarm needle bearings and bushings. ( And the shock linkage pivots as well.)
Dave

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Yep, plan for a full rear suspension service while you're there. The whole exhaust system has to come off too. I suppose someone will have a trick to wiggle the swingarm out far enough to slip the guard off, but just plan to do the full monty. It's really not too bad, just takes some time, and as it's an '05 it's probably due for all that service anyway.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I replaced mine without removing the exhaust. It was a tight job though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Getting ready to dive into the dis-assembly of the rear this weekend. While going over the manual, I noticed it said to use the "special tool" to remove the Swingarm pivot thrust adjuster socket. Anyone who has done this, is this tool really necessary, or were you able to fashion something that would work in it's place?

Thanks!

Jordan

·
Registered
280 Posts
Have not found the need to alter the setting of that "thrust spacer" as I've not replaced swingarm bearings.You should be able to leave it alone if your just removing the swingarm to replace the chain wearpad.
dave

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Damn, I just ordered one without having a close look at how they mount.

I thought it would come off by removing the bolt that holds it on the side of the swing arm without any problems.

Is the 09 Wee the same?

I have to remove the :furious: swing arm?

·
Registered
583 Posts
the "special tool" to remove the Swingarm pivot thrust adjuster socket. Anyone who has done this, is this tool really necessary, or were you able to fashion something that would work in it's place?
Jordan
If you are talking about this:Swingarm Locknut Tool
yes you need it and yes you can fabricate it from a socket. It took my son about 15 minutes to make one for me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you are talking about this:Swingarm Locknut Tool
yes you need it and yes you can fabricate it from a socket. It took my son about 15 minutes to make one for me.
Yep, that is exactly what I was talking about. One side of the swingarm shaft has a regular lock nut, and the other has the one that uses the above linked tool to remove. Guess I'd better get fabricating! Any more info on the method you used to DIY the locknut tool?

jordan

·
Registered
353 Posts
how many miles for chain slider

How many miles do these normally last? I hate designs that require large disassembly to replace one part they probably could have designed to come off easier..Also can't think of preventive way to extend the life..

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
How many miles do these normally last? I hate designs that require large disassembly to replace one part they probably could have designed to come off easier..Also can't think of preventive way to extend the life..
I'm going to see if I can modify mine when it turns up, totally agree with you on design/disassembly issue.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Any more info on the method you used to DIY the locknut tool?
jordan
Sorry, I didn't see this sooner as I was out riding in Alabama. He used a hefty 1/2 " drive socket in 1-1/4", marked where the four posts needed to be, and ground off the spaces between.
I've used it a few times (I prefer a continuous chain) and it works fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry, I didn't see this sooner as I was out riding in Alabama. He used a hefty 1/2 " drive socket in 1-1/4", marked where the four posts needed to be, and ground off the spaces between.
I've used it a few times (I prefer a continuous chain) and it works fine.
Thanks! You are right in time! I am not starting it until right now. Thanks again for the info.

Jordan

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Success!! :hurray::hurray:

Thanks everybody for your input. I was able to get the singarm apart and out without having to remove the exhaust. I used a punch and a hammer to loosen the locknut on the right side of the swingarm shaft. Replaced the slider, greased bearings at pivot points, and put some fresh 705's (radial) on the bike :thumbup:. Looks like I am good for the next long while :yesnod:!

Jordan

·
Registered
168 Posts
slider

Whats up Jordan? This is Phillip from Waco...I just ordered chain and sprockets... I better go check out my slider...How many miles are on your Strom? I hope you like the 705s. The rear will go fast but the front performs great. Around 20psi they really start "gripping" the dirt. Happy trails!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Whats up Jordan? This is Phillip from Waco...I just ordered chain and sprockets... I better go check out my slider...How many miles are on your Strom? I hope you like the 705s. The rear will go fast but the front performs great. Around 20psi they really start "gripping" the dirt. Happy trails!
Hey there... The ol' Strom has about 25,000 miles on the clock now. After inspecting the old slider that I removed from the bike, it seems that the damage was definitely caused by the kinked chain that I had on it. It chain was removing "hunks" from the slider like it was being chewed, not just smooth grooves... Surely a product of my own neglect. I bet you could put 75K+ on one of these bikes without worrying about replacing the slider - If you properly maintain your chain :yesnod:.

Jordan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts