StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I bought LED 1157 bulbs to replace the stock tail light bulbs. My intent was two fold : reduced power consumption, and higher light output.

I've found JDM A star to be a fantastic company. I've used their LED bulbs for three years now, first on my ST1100 and now on the wee strom.

JDM ASTAR Super Bright 5730 Chipsets 1157 2057 2357 7528 LED Bulbs with Projector,Brilliant Red

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WW28T16/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_t8j8wb5QXN9JY

The install is pretty simple. Take off the seat, reach back into the rear section of the tail light area where there's the tool kit.

Each bulb is held on a socket that needs to be turned counter clockwise to "unscrew" it from its base.

Once it's unscrewed from the base, you can simply replace the bulb with the LED one.

I took a video to compare the output, and there's no comparison! The LED is way brighter on the running light....

https://youtu.be/AHQDG2N7piw

Hope this helps anyone looking to upgrade lighting and save a few watts :)

Regards,
Vishnu

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
I bought a smoked led taillight with integrated signal lights. Plugged it in to try and promptly went back to original. Yours look like a more practical option. Looks good

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought a smoked led taillight with integrated signal lights. Plugged it in to try and promptly went back to original. Yours look like a more practical option. Looks good
Thank you sir! :) Replacing the bulbs were much easier than initially thought. I wasn't sure about the light output before installing them....But when I put one in, I knew the light was much brighter than stock.

Also, these bulbs aren't the brightest that JDM A star offers - I was conservative in choosing a mid range LED bulb because I wasn't sure about the length of the bulb housing. This particular model fits perfectly fine.

Regards,
Vishnu

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
I went with some el cheapo chinese knockoff LED 1157 bulbs: too long for the Wee's tail light housing.
Your Amazon link doesn't seem to "click" on my browser. Might you paste it again, please?
Or the stock number of the bulb you used?
And how about the height of the bulb, assuming you have one that's not already in the tail light!

Thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went with some el cheapo chinese knockoff LED 1157 bulbs: too long for the Wee's tail light housing.
Your Amazon link doesn't seem to "click" on my browser. Might you paste it again, please?
Or the stock number of the bulb you used?
And how about the height of the bulb, assuming you have one that's not already in the tail light!

Thanks
I've fixed the links, it should work now - sorry about that typo

They're both installed on the wee now, so I can confirm that these specific ones definitely fits the wee tail housing :)

Best regards,
Vishnu

V Strom LED headlights - goo.gl/timRxQ

·
Registered
193 Posts
So this might sound stupid. But you mention it's brighter than stock on running light. What does brakes look like? Is it very discernible from running. I've had some lights on other vehicles that could barely tell the difference on. And what's it like during the day? Probably all annoying questions but I'm curious.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So this might sound stupid. But you mention it's brighter than stock on running light. What does brakes look like? Is it very discernible from running. I've had some lights on other vehicles that could barely tell the difference on. And what's it like during the day? Probably all annoying questions but I'm curious.
I've looked at this, and my reaction is that the brakes are brighter than running lights, but perhaps not to my satisfaction.

However, I've added two strips of LED lights on either side of the brake lens, and these four strips flash brightly when brake is applied (strobe lighting four times, then long flashes, then regular brake light)

So, yes, the direct answer is that the running light is super bright, brakes are even brighter, but not to my satisfaction.

If I didn't have the LED strips, I'd modify the stock brake light circuit to accommodate the strobe flasher unit.

Regards,
Vishnu

V Strom LED headlights - wp.me/p48a0W-1D
Turn signal conversion to running lights- wp.me/p48a0W-1Z
LED tail lights - wp.me/p48a0W-1I
MadStad + Givi - wp.me/p48a0W-1N
Mirror Extenders - wp.me/p48a0W-1R

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just took a video of my brake lights. I must say that they're actually pretty good! I mean, there is a discernable difference between running and brake lights.

Also, the LED strips are helpful, but please observe the below brake light vs running light output difference

https://youtu.be/bHqmyM7na3Y

Regards,
Vishnu

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
The lights look yellow in the video. If they are, it's not legal. If they are actually red, never mind.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The lights look yellow in the video. If they are, it's not legal. If they are actually red, never mind.
They're red :) it must be the phone's white balance/lighting algorithms !

Bright red lights :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts