StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[The thread about a horn 'delay' gadget reminded me that the current horn is not functioning as it should for quite some time - to clarify, the last thing I want is a delay. And Stebel going out of business means I need to find a better solution]

I have a Stebel Compact that I got from PWD.
The first horn failed after a short usage (lost second tone), and Gary from PWD sent a replacement. The current one lost its second tone too. annoying.

I'm thinking of replacing it with Wolo Bad Boy.
Has anyone done that?
Will the PWD mounting bracket be compatible, or can it be made compatible for the Wolo?

·
Registered
197 Posts
replacing stebel with Wolo Bad Boy

Yes, my Stebel horn (I bought it from a Stromtrooper) never did work right. Only one of the two horns worked. So, I found a Bad Boy cheap on Amazon. Plug and play with the same wiring. It has a hole near the top to mount it and comes with a bolt and nut, so I think your bracket would work. I bolted an ell bracket to it and then fastened that to the fairing mount with a big circle clamp.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, my Stebel horn (I bought it from a Stromtrooper) never did work right. Only one of the two horns worked. So, I found a Bad Boy cheap on Amazon. Plug and play with the same wiring. It has a hole near the top to mount it and comes with a bolt and nut, so I think your bracket would work. I bolted an ell bracket to it and then fastened that to the fairing mount with a big circle clamp.
Thanks. Just the info I needed.
Gary from PWD contacted me - maybe we can figure this out.
But it is just odd that you too have the same problem with that missing tone.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Thanks. Just the info I needed.
Gary from PWD contacted me - maybe we can figure this out.
But it is just odd that you too have the same problem with that missing tone.
There have been numerous reports of missing tones. Apparently there is a thriving black market for singles tones, so Harley people have been stealing them and selling them to their fence so they can afford to buy Harley crap for their bikes.

:yesnod:

·
Registered
197 Posts
replacing Stebel with Wolo Bad Boy

The funny thing is, I avoided the cheaper Wolo Bad Boy at first because I read that they were less reliable than the "real thing" Stebel horn. My experience has been the other way - the Wolo works great.

When I removed the Stebel, I noticed that the round cover was loose on one side. I am wondering if that is the reason that one horn doesn't sound. Some day, I may glue it on and test it.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Uh, when you peel the "Bad Boy" stickers off, guess what it says underneath? :fineprint:

Anyhoo, I've brought back a couple of sick Stebel/Wolo horns simply by flushing and lubing the compressor. Remove the horn section, then put a few drops of your favorite air tool oil into the compressor. Put a rag over the outlet and run the horn for a few seconds. Repeat several times. You'll get an unbelievable amount of mung out of the compressor, and it will spin faster than ever before.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Uh, when you peel the "Bad Boy" stickers off, guess what it says underneath? :fineprint:
i am guessing by your "tone" here that these WOLO's are made by Stebel?

i would like to know more, because i will soon be in the market for a better horn, and if the bad boy's are proving to last longer or not have a tone failure and are cheaper i would like to go with it instead of the stebel?

Whats the price difference anyways? It seems that the wolos are about $35 and the Stebels are about $55? is that correct?

thanks

·
Registered
780 Posts
Wolos can be had at HF with a 20% discount. Sometimes they are on sale.The only reason to buy a Stebel is it can be RED. Red costs more and you will pay list.

Les

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Wolos can be had at HF with a 20% discount. Sometimes they are on sale.The only reason to buy a Stebel is it can be RED. Red costs more and you will pay list.

Les

"RED"? Like literally the color? I notice the decibels are rated differently?

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
If you're talking about the Stebel Nautilus Compact air horn, the Wolo Bad Boy version is the EXACT SAME horn, made by Stebel, with Stebel markings, and with cheeseball stickers. I think the little covers over the horns sport a "W" as well.

There's also a larger Stebel Nautilus Max that's red plastic. The Compact model is the one you want on a bike -- the Max is huge.

The Wolo version of this unpainted, so the compressor is just bare metal and the plastic horn is black plastic. From what I've seen, Stebels seem to be bare, painted black, or chromed.

Like most badge rebranding projects, I don't understand the point...

Here's a really crappy picture of my embarrassingly filthy GS850 sporting a Wolo, complete with fork oil all over the engine:

Here's a close-up of a Wolo Bad Boy:

Here's a Stebel Nautilus Max next to a Stebel Nautilus Compact. Note that the compressor appears to be the same.

(Here's the rather unkind review from WebBikeWorld -- I think they screwed up the wiring somehow. I've installed seven or eight of these things over the last five years with no failures.)

Therefore: Stebel Nautilus Compact = Wolo Bad Boy + $10

So get a Harbor Freight 20% off coupon, grab a bad boy cheap, peel the crappy stickers off, maybe spritz it with black paint, and save a few bucks. Before you install, and whenever it gets wheezy, lube the compressor as I described above.

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
I'll never buy another Stebel.

I've gone electric - dual Fiamms, one high, one low tone. Ultra reliable.

That Stebel worked about five times and gave up the ghost. The Fiamms plug into the same wiring and work every time.

·
Registered
197 Posts

Anyhoo, I've brought back a couple of sick Stebel/Wolo horns simply by flushing and lubing the compressor. Remove the horn section, then put a few drops of your favorite air tool oil into the compressor. Put a rag over the outlet and run the horn for a few seconds. Repeat several times. You'll get an unbelievable amount of mung out of the compressor, and it will spin faster than ever before.
Thanks for the tip, bwringer. I'll try it!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I contacted my rep at Stebel-USA about the WOLO vs. Stebel question. He told me the following:

The Wolo and Stebel horns are not the same. Wolo is a Stebel knock-off made in China and there are some important differences:

Warranty: Stebel 1 year, WOLO 30 days
Compressor psi: Stebel 16.5-17, WOLO 15-16
Decibel Rating: Stebel 139 dB, WOLO 118 dB

My Stebel rep also mentioned that there are other knock-offs made China that are being sold in the US as Stebel. These horns produce even lower psi at around 14. They look exactly the same as the genuine Stebel, but they have different patent numbers stamped into the plastic and the manufacture date is not embedded.

I have sold over 400 Stebel horns over the past 3 years for use on all kinds of motorcycles. My experience is that the failure rate has been extremely low. I have only had a couple of V-Strom customers who have had a failure and only a handful of others. In some cases it was clear that it was a customer caused failure, but I replaced it anyway. As long as the Stebel horns are properly installed and you keep water out of the compressor (no power washing) then they will last a long time.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
good to know, PWD!

I'm still enjoying my honkin' loud Stebel.....and the PWD mounting kit obviously helps keep it that way!

·
Registered
23 Posts
i just mounted my 2nd stebel as my 1st one was stolen :yikes: my new one seems louder but i love em both! my old stebel saved my hide too many times not to install another! the 2 weeks i didnt have one as i was waiting on delivery from twistedthrottle was a long 2 weeks, i didnt even know the 1st horn was gone till some cager invaded my lane and i hit the horn button and nothing happened. who ever took it pried it from the tang on my radiator and disconnected the wiring leads. my new install went in under the fairing on the left side with my own mount

·
Registered
15,719 Posts

Don't believe it for a minute. If you don't use the horn often to keep it limber and operational they just stop working and you'll have to disassemble it and do some maintenance. I've had Fiamms on several beemers and they all went silent because I just don't use the horn. Not enough to keep them operational! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I contacted my rep at Stebel-USA about the WOLO vs. Stebel question. He told me the following:

The Wolo and Stebel horns are not the same. Wolo is a Stebel knock-off made in China and there are some important differences:

Warranty: Stebel 1 year, WOLO 30 days
Compressor psi: Stebel 16.5-17, WOLO 15-16
Decibel Rating: Stebel 139 dB, WOLO 118 dB

My Stebel rep also mentioned that there are other knock-offs made China that are being sold in the US as Stebel. These horns produce even lower psi at around 14. They look exactly the same as the genuine Stebel, but they have different patent numbers stamped into the plastic and the manufacture date is not embedded.

I have sold over 400 Stebel horns over the past 3 years for use on all kinds of motorcycles. My experience is that the failure rate has been extremely low. I have only had a couple of V-Strom customers who have had a failure and only a handful of others. In some cases it was clear that it was a customer caused failure, but I replaced it anyway. As long as the Stebel horns are properly installed and you keep water out of the compressor (no power washing) then they will last a long time.

Good to know. Didn't know there were knockoffs that even duplicated the Stebel branding. That just ain't right.

I feel so... dirty now. :furious:

When my knockoffs die, I pinky swear to replace them with the real thing.

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts

Don't believe it for a minute. If you don't use the horn often to keep it limber and operational they just stop working and you'll have to disassemble it and do some maintenance. I've had Fiamms on several beemers and they all went silent because I just don't use the horn. Not enough to keep them operational! :mrgreen:
Three years on the bike, rarely used, like four or five times a year, in all kinds of wet, freezing, crappy weather (year-round commuter, 20,000 kms/year) and the Fiamms still work fine. Occasionally, I'll find an excuse to honk them, just because I'm paranoid since I went to honk the Stebel in a time of need and it failed. My experience is the opposite of yours.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Had a Stebel for five years. No problemo, and imagine how often it gets used in Boston traffic.....

·
Registered
244 Posts
Had a WOLO Bad Boy on my previous bike for two years w/out incident and put one on my new Strom. Ride in all kinds of weather. Painted it black w/ a can. Tucked it up inside the fairing w/ a homemade bracket. Purchased them both at Harbor Freight using the 20% off coupon someone mentioned earlier.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts