StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a pair of Alpinestars SPS gloves that have blown out a seam after about 2 years of reasonably light-ish use. I'm not all that happy that they're gone, but am trying to figure out what to replace them with.

I've got a set of gauntlet gloves with heat, and one without, but for summer riding, I'd really like another short cuff glove.

As much as I like having armor on a glove, I'm beginning to wonder whether a really good, solid leather glove might be a better bet, and wonder whether the protection compares well on something like the Lee Parks deerskin or Aerostitch elkskin ropers.

Anyone have any experience with these as to actual protection versus a glove with some hard armor pieces to it?

Thanks...

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've been using the Aerostich Elkskin Ropers for many years. Best 3 season glove out there IMHO. If or when I need another pair, I will get the natural color. I've been caught in some real frog chokers and the black dye will stain your hands.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about protection in a get-off? I need my hands to work for me to earn a living and not starve... concerned about getting used to gloves with no padding, let alone hard bits and pieces.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Can't help ya with that question, never had the opportunity to try doing pushups while sliding down the asphalt. Seriously though, they are a substantial material for sure, but if you want extra padding, these ain't it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've read that gloves with that hard plastic "skeleton" can actually injure you more when it snaps and jabs into your skin... Then again, with regular gloves you could just as easily lose a finger.

I would like to see a case study to show which is better. I know actual cow leather is one of the most road-rash resistant materials out there, so if you can find a real leather pair of gloves, then that is where it's at. I think when I was looking for new gloves, I saw that deerskin/elkskin aren't as wear resistant when it comes to moto gp, but generally I don't ride 150+mph so it didn't apply to me.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I've been off the bike twice now, once a deer, once a pickup, both on asphalt at about 45 MPH. Both times, I was wearing my favorite riding gloves, Wells Lamont Deerskin gloves

Wells Lamont - Deerskin Gloves - Gloves

from the local ranch supply store. They held up well, once split a seam, and some abrasion, but not clear through, the other time, just abrasion, no split seams. No road rash on my hands either time. I don't honestly remember if my hands hit the pavement or what, but my jacket and helmet were both pretty destroyed both times, so I must have dome some traveling and rolling around on the blacktop before coming to a stop. These conform to my hands, are warm enough with grip heaters for some of our winter riding here, and comfortable enough to wear in hotter summer months. Deerskin gets wet and still dries out and stays soft.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you want something like the Lee Parks deerskin gloves, but with more protection, I'll recommend Helimot gloves wholeheartedly.

https://shop.helimot.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=9&cat=1+-+Motorcycle+Gloves

Helimot is a custom leathers place that's local to me. They do custom leathers for many of the local AMA racers. Helmut has made suits for Nicky and Tommy Hayden, Kenny Rogers, Jason Pridmore, Jamie Hacking, to name a few. He also makes custom gloves. He'll tailor finger length/width, palm width, etc. If you're local to the area you can go in and he'll measure you up. If not, you can mail in a tracing of your hand.

I absolutely LOVE my Buffalo Pro gloves. One of the best pieces of gear I own (after my Helimot suit). :thumbup:

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'm sold on Kevlar. I'm gonna get these gloves as soon as I can save up enough. I'll even use this overmitten for additional protection. I may not use theirs, because I already have a rain cover for my existing gaunlets that work well to provide additional wind resistance.

I want the entire suit from Motoport but that'll take me a little saving to get enough green together. I've priced it and my entire suit will run about $1,500, but I like myself that much, so... Here's the best review that I can find about this Kevlar stuff. This guy, an rider independant from any of the retailers, wrote his own review and WebBikeWorld chooses to use it on their web site.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kevlar may outlast cordura, but I think a heavyweight leather will still outlast most textiles, no?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got a pair of Alpinestars heavy gauntlet gloves with the finger bridge, knuckle armor etc., but after four hours or so they start to get pretty uncomfortable.

For popping off to the store, I'll wear lighter short-cuff gloves, but I want something a bit in between for the longer days.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I cannot rave enough about my Held Kangaroo gloves I wear anytime it's over 40F. I have the older "Short 'Roo" which are vented short touring gove and have Kangaroo in the palms and fingers. Sort of like a summer/lightweight "Steve." It looks like their new short glove is the "Namib"

Namib

The Kangaroo leather is supposedly tougher, yet thinner than cow or elk. The feel through the palms and fingers is significantly better than any of my other Deer or Cow leather gloves. Worth the money and would buy another pair of these Namib when my Short Roo's wear out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I really love my Aerostich elkskin ropers. I agree about the color though, mine are black and stain your hands when they get wet. I love the visor squeegee attached to the left thumb too. Luckily I have not yet crash tested them, but I can attest to their three season comfort and longevity. This will be year four for them, with no notable wear. I also appreciate the snaps on the back of the wrist tensioners-makes it easy to connect the gloves and reduces the chance of losing one.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Get some good gloves.

Ouch. Look a lot like a pair of very lightweight summer gloves I have. They, too, have something that looks like leather on the palms, and they would probably fall apart just as readily. At least they were cheap.

My usual gloves are a pair of Joe Rocket GPX gloves that are really very nicely made, from Pittards leather. I'd trust them in a fall.

One point: in my opinion, motorcycle gloves should have a wrist retention strap to ensure that they actually stay on your hands in a fall. They definitely won't do much good if they come off your hands.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Hit the ground with deer skin 55 to 65 you could see where the knuckles hit the road but they did not grind through. or on the palms. Remember stop drop and roll.:thumbup:
Elk skin will do better, to thick for me.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
If you have access to a sewing machine.

Pigskin riggers gloves. The real things, not the 'bikified' ones.

Unlined natural leather, tough enough to survive ropes slipping through them at high speed and tarmac isn't even in that contest - better made than most bike gloves and generally a better fit.

The nice feature is that unlined you sweat right through them so get more or less natural cooling from that, and not being dyed, they don't leave your hands black.

Just sew some velcro on the wrist to stop them pulling off. $10-$20 - buy the good ones ;).

The only downside, they look pretty grubby after a few weeks.

And yeah, Kangaroo is better if you can get it.

Pete

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
I really love my Aerostich elkskin ropers. I agree about the color though, mine are black and stain your hands when they get wet. I love the visor squeegee attached to the left thumb too. Luckily I have not yet crash tested them, but I can attest to their three season comfort and longevity. This will be year four for them, with no notable wear. I also appreciate the snaps on the back of the wrist tensioners-makes it easy to connect the gloves and reduces the chance of losing one.
+1 on the Elkskin ropers, though my pair is actually the non-Aero version which I bought in a cowboy store in Montana 2 years ago. Same glove, minus the squeegee.

I wear them always. I love them!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Motorcycle Consumer News had a great write up on Scorpion Magnum gloves. Affordable, good protection.

i have a pair on order.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Held Sambias look pretty nice for a short cuff glove... not available yet, but given the rep Held has with folks, I might hold out and see how these feel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts