StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an '06 Wee a year and a half ago. The original owner had hardly ridden it; it sat in a garage for years. After changing the oil and the gas, it ran pretty well. The tires work pretty well, too, but I have read about the effects of ozone on rubber, and I am wondering if I should replace them. They don't look cracked (they were, after all, stored in a garage), and the min. tread left is 4mm. Altogether, the bike now has been ridden about 6,800 miles. But the tires are coming up on ten years old. Is it time to replace them?

·
Registered
106 Posts
If it were mine, I'd replace them right away. I don't take chances with tires. But that is my opinion.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I bought an '06 Wee a year and a half ago. The original owner had hardly ridden it; it sat in a garage for years. After changing the oil and the gas, it ran pretty well. The tires work pretty well, too, but I have read about the effects of ozone on rubber, and I am wondering if I should replace them. They don't look cracked (they were, after all, stored in a garage), and the min. tread left is 4mm. Altogether, the bike now has been ridden about 6,800 miles. But the tires are coming up on ten years old. Is it time to replace them?
My math says 6 years old, but hey I am Canadian...:thumbup: I would change them anyway.. If not for anything else, but to get a better tire on then the Trailwings..

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
They probably are 7+ years old really

Is there any cracking just examine. if yes replace if not probably fine for not demanding riding...week at Deals Gap

Only you know if your riding stresses tires

Besides whats the worse that could happen?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Lots of people treat tires as a kind of superstition, they say if there is any doubt (and EVERYTHING raises doubt to them) they insist you preserve your life and replace the tires.
I bought an old Goldwing that had old cracked tires (Chen Shins) --they had almost new tread, but were hard as a brick. Since I only rode that bike like most people ride an old GW I just rode it gently and put on around 3000 more miles. My only complaint was the hardness of the rubber. They were like wood.
Finally they were getting pretty flat in the center of the rear tire and I put on a set of Shinko touring tires, and they felt so soft it was fantastic, like erasers on both rims!
Bottom line--would I put on new tires sooner next time? Only if they were easily affordable--I'm satisfied with my method--but it's a decision each rider needs to make. If I'd had a tire failure it would have been an opportunity for the nay-sayers to raise hell. But I made my choice, and had no trouble.
Just ride your own ride.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Ten year old tires---junk.
Six year old tires that were always stored away from sun---maybe. UV from sun and ozone from air pollution are the main aging factors, plus evaporation of some of the volatile chemicals in the rubber compound. If the tread is still soft and has good traction, maybe. If the rubber is hard with poor traction---junk.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Just went thru this too. 7 years old, stored in garage on center stand, etc. I jumped on the caution side of the fence whether it was needed or not. Tossed on a new set. Even the guy mounting/balancing them for me said I didn't need to but I'd rather have the peace of mind.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replace old tires

From Bob, Prescott, Arizona
Ive got a 2009 Vstrom650 ABS
I bought it used, low miles.On one of my first rides I discovered the previous owner had put a plug in the rear tire and it went flat, luckily it happened at a friends house.
At 6 years and the possibilty of what I experienced I would opt for the new tires. The cost of all new tires is probably less than the medical costs even from a mild crash due to tire failure.
A good upgrade would be the Metzler Tourance for mainly the tarmac or possibly the "German made" Heidenau K60 Scout if you want a tire that will preform well both on the tarmac and dirt/gravel roads.
Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Aside from whatever safety worries you deem credible (and FWIW I think it's quite likely tires that old will have significantly less grip than when new, not to mention the OEM Trail Wings kinda suck anyway), there's absolutely no doubt that new tires will feel loads better than old rubber.

I'd replace them just because I would enjoy riding more. Both the KLRs I bought last year were wearing safe, acceptable rubber, but I spooned on fresh tires more to my taste a couple of days after bringing them home.

Life's too short to tiptoe around on crappy rubber. For that matter, crappy rubber can make one's life too short...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Replace

Start looking for new tires. They are old to begin with and there are not many miles left on the rear. I was able to get 8000 miles on the stock rear and 15000 on the stock front. I would not completely stop riding, but I would be looking for replacements soon.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
old (but not worn) tires

I appreciate all the input here! I was kind of leaning toward replacement anyway; I almost replaced the rear tire last summer. Reading all of your responses has helped me to make the decision to replace the tires sooner, rather than later. I'm going to get the tires replaced right away. Better safe than sorry, right?

Which tires? I almost got a Tourance rear tire last summer, and I think that is what the local dealer stocks, so I am still leaning in that direction. But I will make that final decision when I see what choices are available in stock.

Thanks again for all the input.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Ensure that they go out in a bang.

Enter a burnout contest.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
When I bought my DL650 I put new tires on my DR650 getting it ready to sell. The DR handled so well with brand new rubber it almost hurt to sell it. Imagine that is the feeling you are going to get with new rubber but you get to keep it

Crap now I want a new set of tires

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Ten year old tires---junk.
Six year old tires that were always stored away from sun---maybe. UV from sun and ozone from air pollution are the main aging factors, plus evaporation of some of the volatile chemicals in the rubber compound. If the tread is still soft and has good traction, maybe. If the rubber is hard with poor traction---junk.
Excellent post.

Unless you have a durometer you won't really be able to tell if they've hardened. Even then, some tires now have as many as three different durometer [hardness] rubber on them, so multiple values would be normal.

There are lots of early-season tire deals, so replacing them fairly soon may save you enough that taking them to the end-of-life probably isn't worth it economically, either.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
If the trail wings have no cracking and good tread I will pay shipping to get them. I'm that weird guy that loves the TW's,they work for me and I get over 10,000 out of them.The last 2 sets I had were used ones that people didn't like.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 20 of 20 Posts