StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i am close to needing new tires on my 2009 dl650/wee.

i am at 10k on the oem tires.

i am ONLY on paved roads.

sadly, i have had no occasion to do anything but paved.

what is the general consensus as to replacing the oem?

are there better options?

michelin PR4s?

metzeler tourance/me880 combo?

pirellis or contis?

school me folks!

i ride about 4k miles a year in all weather.

i welcome your thoughts.

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
There are so many good tires and so many good tire threads, my suggestion is "use that search function box" and read until your eyes bleed. Or.......go to Google and simply search for V-Strom tires or something along the lines of that nature. ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Michelin PR4-T (Trail) [better tire] or Shinko 705 [better value]. I've used both. The PR4-T is quieter and may have better grip. Both are stickier than my riding skills and will scrape the pegs on dry pavement. Can't say much about wet performance, I go slow and cautious when the streets are wet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2Bigfeet

·
Registered
508 Posts
- You ride 4000 miles/year
- On paved roads only
- In all types of weather

Answer is simple get a tire that is dependable in the worse weather conditions, mud is not a consideration. In my case Metz Tourance are very good in wet road conditions, good traction cost a bit more due to it being a radial. Expected mileage 9-10,000 km depending on how aggressive your ride ( i don't baby the bike).

I am switching over to the Heidenau K76 for better mileage (wet weather traction is lower that the Tourance). Reason is I log 15,000+ km a year.

Brian

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I put on pilot road 4s about a month ago and am really enjoying them. They handle fantastic!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a little more research and i'm thinking more about the metzeler tourance next.

thoughts?

tia

be well.

rob

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I'm liking the Shinko 712, just put them on though.

Shinko 712

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
the oem bridgestone battlewings were not a bad tire.

they never gave me a thought or a concern.

but for the same money, i can get a set of tourance next and, going on web reviews only, i believe they are a step up.

i'm not thinking pilots due to extra cost and the rear pr4s trail version is essentially a pr3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGD6HLdNcW4 at 4:10

again, thanks in advance to those who care to share.

be well.

rob

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
so many choices!

and now i'm only confused ;-(

pr4s? conti trail attacks? tourance/next? or just stick with the oem battlewings?

how about forget the trail version of the pr4s since i'm street only?

jeez louise, ain't choice great!

ymmv

be well.

rob

·
Registered
453 Posts
OEM were Bridgestone Trailwings....Battlewings I put on 8k miles ago are nearing end of service life but are, in my opinion, better wet road tires. YMMV
For the money, great tire. Good luck, Rob!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OEM were Bridgestone Trailwings....Battlewings I put on 8k miles ago are nearing end of service life but are, in my opinion, better wet road tires. YMMV
For the money, great tire. Good luck, Rob!
i also wanted to try something new.

now i'm thinking not the oem trail wings but rather the suggested battle wing.

trail wing vs battle wing opinions?

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The PR4 will be the best in rain. I'd pick these for your all weather riding.
Bridgestone Battleax T30 Evo is a good choice, not quite the rain tire as the PR4, cheaper.
Bridgestone Battleax A40 is the update to the Battlewing, better wet traction, longer life, considered a 90% on road/10% off road tire.

Similar tires to the T30 are available from Continental, Avon, all the usual suspects. There is no one "best" tire for everybody everywhere.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
because the battle wings are being replaced, i can get a set (front & back) for $214.

seems like a good tire for the money.

the a40s would cost around $300-ish.

money spent on tires are usually a good investment.

i just wonder if the more $ is actually worth the difference.

ymmv

be well.

rob

·
Registered
463 Posts
Picks

The Metzler Marathon 880 will give outstanding wear and is good in the rain. I run the Michelin Anakee 3 but also do easy forest roads. The 880 is really a cruiser tire but it has extra center tread for the cruiser weight and lack need for great cornering performance. So it goes forever. I tend to not care much about the cost of tires. The Anakee is a "tall" tire compared to OEM so it will feel like it wants to fall into a corner at first. I have run the Anakee rear flat at freeway speeds w/o problem because it is a very stout, tank-like tire. If I never went off road I'd get the 880 from prior experience running the tire. Then again, I'd try offerings from Avon, Dunlap, the other major players just to try them out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you are still researching, the limit issue is the matching 19" size for the front. Many good road tires exist, but not so many in the taller rim. One of the reason you see the "neo-adventure" bikes coming out with 17" front rims is for cost effectiveness of moving a road design into the adventure market as cheaply as possible for the manufacturers, but side effect is how much broader the tire offerings become with 17" on both ends.

·
aka Rick in Alabama
502 Posts
I put on pilot road 4s about a month ago and am really enjoying them. They handle fantastic!
+ 1

I had PR4's on my last BMW. They are a great tire.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Another vote for the PR4s. I had one on my Strom, only removed as I was riding more dirt, and have them on my BMW. Wonderful tyres!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts