StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the sidelights (the little bulbs above each headlamp) burnt out and I'm in the process of replacing it. The bulb is printed with "KOITO 12v5w w5w". I found direct replacements, but are there any suggestions for swaps?

I was thinking there may be direct LED replacement that might provide more visibility to oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was this a straight swap? I remember reading in the past that putting LEDs in place of traditional bulbs would cause problems. Have we progressed beyond that?

The reason I ask is that, if the LED swap is as simple as pulling the old and installing new, I may go ahead and swap the headlights as well while I'm at it.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Yep, straight swap. Same with headlight H4 bulbs and tail / brake 1157 bulb. But for turn signal 1156 bulbs, you'll also need an LED compatible flasher relay. I got this one a couple years ago. If you don't use the relay, the signals will flash quite fast. My fathead brother likes the fast-flashing; I don't.

When I converted my turn signals to LED bulbs, I also added a Blinker Genie adapter to convert my front turn signals to running lights / turn signals. Rick at AdventureTech sells a similar product, but I didn't know about it at the time. I tapped the switched +12V wire from the "eyebrow" lights above the headlight for the adapter install.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I got these Evitek bulbs a few years ago. I've considered swapping because on my 3+ yo versions the LED doesn't line up perfectly and therefore doesn't create as tight a beam pattern / cutoff as it should. It's not hideous, and doesn't blind oncoming drivers, but there are better options these days. What, exactly, I don't know, but I know they're out there from some postings here. I unfortunately don't have a reference to them. Might be worth searching a bit or posing the question to fellow troopers.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I visited a local lightbulb retailer yesterday and picked up replacement sidelight bulbs in LED. Install was easy and all appears to be working as it should.

While I've decided to also replace the H4 halogen headlamps with LEDs as well, I don't hate the LED 'eyebrows' over the standard halogens. I think it makes the bike more noticeable head-on, which increases safety.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts