StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I searched and filtered through 9 pages of old threads and didn't find an answer.

I have a set of replacement fork springs for my DL1000K6 and I'm trying to find out if I have to pull the forks to replace them or if I can just remove the fork caps, pull out the springs, put in the new springs, check the oil level and button it back up.

So, the question is:

Do you have to remove the forks to change the springs on a DL1000?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Heavy, if you are not needing to change/replace the fork oil there is no need to remove the forks.

cheers!

K

·
0 Posts
On the '06 I had to remove the forks due to the preload adjuster. I suppose you could do it once the wheel and fender was off, but it just seemed easier. I removed the fork leg after loosening the cap, unscrewed the cap, broke loose the retaining nut on the rod, used a bent coat hangar to hold the rod, removed the old spring, replaced the oil, inserted the new spring, insured 10mm of thread showing above the nut, attached the cap, tightened the nut inserted the fork cap and reinstalled the fork. Easy work overall, just time consuming and of course dealing with how to get the front end in the air. I have a steering head stand, so it's easy.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you do have to pull the forks. Well, at least it makes sense to pull the forks. Its not just a matter of undoing the cap, removing the old spring, putting in the new spring and buttoning it back up again.

K

·
0 Posts
The problem is the damper rod itself screws into the preload adjuster in the cap and is held with a locknut. With the suspension full extended, there just isn't enough room to get to the lock nut and remove the cap. You could remove the wheel and fender and push the bottom of the fork up while working the two wrenches, but honestly, at that point the three bolts holding in the fork are easier to deal with.

K

·
0 Posts
p7m8jg said:
has anyone used the RaceTech cartridge emulators? Are those better than just replacing the fork springs?
I haven't done it on a Strom, but on a FZ1 it made an incredible difference over a simple spring/oil swap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts