StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just damage my engine last week riding in Icelandic highlands. It had only a 27.000 km on it and I am told it's very expensive to repair and I should try to find a used motor. Unfortunately I am not the engine expert so therefore I am scratching my head over couple of things:

What year of engine should I be looking for, could I for example use an engine from much later models? Could I even replace my 650 DL with a 1000 engine?
Maybe the most important question, where should I be looking for a used engine?

If you can in anyway assist a guy how doesn't know that much about engines but is eager to get back on the bike it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Saevar Gudmundsson
Iceland

Attachments

·
Registered
462 Posts
Any 650 engine from the first gen (up to and including 2011) will work. If you want 1000 it's probably best to just go buy one, not worth the hassle since you'd essentially have to change the wiring harness with it. Where to find an engine? Ebay, cragslist, the for sale threads here and at advrider. But I'd like to know what's broken in your current engine?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The simplest replacement would be with a 2004-2006 model. Go to 2007 and beyond and for full use you'll either need all the ancillary stuff like the throttle body, wiring harness and a number of things that connect to the wiring harness. I suppose you could use the short block from a later engine if you plug the second spark plug port and use all the old electrics from your present bike, but I don't have details.

The 1000 would be really difficult and expensive if it could be done at all.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Check eBay for used engines. It might be cheaper to get a new bike.
I don't think 1000cc would even fit and as greywolf said 2007+ are different.
Not sure what the situation in your country in US it would be easier to get a different bike at that point.
Maybe get crashed with good engine and part it out, but there is really no point brand new ones are very cheap.

Visited provinces:

Visited states:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Just back from 2 week in Iceland on 2 rental bikes with a buddy and the wives from Biking Viking (Reykjavik). Loved your country and we will return! Unfortunately Biking Viking only rent BMW's but maybe you should consider a used bike or a used rental. Their rentals are in great condition (the two GS 700's (800 cc engine) we rented were quite similar to the dl650's). I am not sure I would want to spend too much effort on a 10 year old bike with a wrecked engine. Iceland bikes do have low kms compared to north america but some of those roads and river crossings are hard on the bikes.

·
Administrator
17,520 Posts
Get another bike IMHO. And you never said what the "damage" was on your engine, you sure it needs replaced?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am told the craft-shank is wrecked and probably a lot of other stuff in there. What happened was that the engine was hit by a stone and somehow managed to unscrew the screw where the oil-cooler pipe enters the engine, just enough for the oil to leak out. Around 45 minutes later I heard a strange noise coming from the engine. At the exact same time the oil light appeared and I stopped immediately in middle of nowhere. Waited for a truck for several hours to come pick it up.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,520 Posts
I say make sure the oil cooler line is tight/fixed, and then fill the engine back with oil and see what happens.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Okay, so you fried the bearings.

Probably the easiest thing, and maybe the most cost-effective, is to buy another and then sell your machine for parts. Or take the time to look and find a wrecked one with a good engine.

Finding a wreck will probably take so much time and hassle you'll wish you hadn't gone that way. Were I you, I'd see about buying a new or another used one and then selling or parting out the one you have.

As for Frankenmotor transplants...don't do it. Assuming you could even make everything fit...the time, the cost, and then the hassle in getting service done, if you have to depend on a shop at some point...not worth it. If you want a 1000, now's the chance! In the end it will be cheaper to buy an intact bike.

...is it that you're taxed that much more for a 1000, that you want the papers for a 650 and the engine out of a 1000?

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
I did a motor swap last winter. My total cost was $650. 04-06 motors generally run less than 07 up,because of less demand. Not a hard job if you have some mechanical ability. If not paying someone to do it, might or might not be worthwhile.
Side note- Now I know why skidplates should be used on Stroms. :laugh2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts