StromTrooper banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to re wire the big connector under the left fairing due to poor connections. Does any one have suggestions as to what to use. I have considered bullet connectors and shrink wrap, and simple but connectors. Im sure there is a better way to provide continuity thru this connector. I am currently loosing the signal to the gauges but can get them to work by moving the wire from the ecu. Thanks
Curt

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Can you refurbish the existing connectors? Each metal connector in the big plug can be removed by pushing down on its locking tab with a very skinny wire, jeweler's screwdriver, etc. You might have one connector that isn't all the way into its slot in the big plug, or something else that can be repaired.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
connector

I checked site suggested but found no connectors with a wire count high enough to do the job, especially with the small wires that Suzuki is fond of using. Thanks though.

Im not sure that i want to fix the connector that suzuki uses. This is the 3rd time that I have had problems with factory electrics and I think that it is time to upgrade the connection. I dont see any real use for this connector anyway. It looks like it may be there for production purposes only. It allows the front of the wiring system to be disconected from the main harness. What real problem would I cause if i soldered the wires together and covered them with shrink wrap?
Curt

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
What real problem would I cause if i soldered the wires together and covered them with shrink wrap?
Curt
None at all if done properly, except doing away with a test/isolation point.
After soldering, I'd smear a little dielectric grease on, make a few wraps with rubber tape, then shrink wrap. Be generous with the heat.
I've made a few very long term waterproof (underwater 480 volt) electrical splices this way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts