StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just Curious what tires you folks installed when the battle wings wore out, Im doing mostly highway with the odd jaunts on dirt roads... but id say 95% long distance Paved road work for me..

·
Registered
650 Posts
Just Curious what tires you folks installed when the battle wings wore out, Im doing mostly highway with the odd jaunts on dirt roads... but id say 95% long distance Paved road work for me..
The Battlewing 501/502 ours came with were perfect for 90/10 road dirt road. We ride 2 up/luggage and fast in corners.
The battlewings were excellent. 12,000ks from the rear and would have got 18,000 from the front.
Now running Conti TKC70s as I am prepared to slow down on the road so I can speed up on the dirt ;)
If you ride the V2 as a road bike, choose road tyres. You dont want to sacrifice or compromise the 95% of your riding time on road to "better" the 5% of your riding time on the dirt.. ;)

·
Registered
301 Posts
I swapped a set of rather ragged Anakee 3's for a pair of Tourance Next. Handling has decidedly changed for the better. On the Anakees stopping required a fist full of brake, yet now a light touch does the deed. Tourance Next tires give the Wee a sport-bike feel, an eagerness to maneuver the Anakee 3 decidedly lacks. A bottle of Ride On inside each wheel took about four blocks to balance the tires. It's like riding on glass, like the Anakees had a background vibration now missing. I'm 210lbs in gear, riding with 36/40 pressures.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The Battlewing 501/502 ours came with were perfect for 90/10 road dirt road. We ride 2 up/luggage and fast in corners.
The battlewings were excellent. 12,000ks from the rear and would have got 18,000 from the front.
Now running Conti TKC70s as I am prepared to slow down on the road so I can speed up on the dirt ;)
If you ride the V2 as a road bike, choose road tyres. You dont want to sacrifice or compromise the 95% of your riding time on road to "better" the 5% of your riding time on the dirt.. ;)
Couldn't agree more. OEM b-wings seemed to be good for aggressive on pavement cornering while being long lasting. Can't agree with previous post recommending Miata 07 for 95% pavement...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I only tried the battlewing, the tourance, the k60 and the trailwing so far.

By far, I have prefered the bw in terms of tarmac handling and mileage. The fact they cost so much less than tourance is a big bonus.

I'm stuck with a tw right now, because the bw were backorder. My dealership has put an order for a set to put aside till my next change.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I swapped a set of rather ragged Anakee 3's for a pair of Tourance Next. Handling has decidedly changed for the better. On the Anakees stopping required a fist full of brake, yet now a light touch does the deed. Tourance Next tires give the Wee a sport-bike feel, an eagerness to maneuver the Anakee 3 decidedly lacks. A bottle of Ride On inside each wheel took about four blocks to balance the tires. It's like riding on glass, like the Anakees had a background vibration now missing. I'm 210lbs in gear, riding with 36/40 pressures.
How long did the anakee 3 "rear" last? I have tried the Tourance & the K76. Looking to at the Anakee 3 to see if long distance paved road can improve.

Does anyone know of a long distance "rear" street tire that would fit the strom (150/70-17) , does not have to be a radial. Planning another cross Canada trip and would prefer not having to change tires part way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My first set of street tires on the Vee (DL1000K9) were Bridgestone BT-023's. I really liked the feel of the bike. I do 99% back road commuting.
I'd mostly ridden on Metzler Tourance, and Tourance 2
I just put on a set of Bridgestone Battlax T-30 EVO ordered from jakewilson.com Only $245 US total to my door before rebate.
In the USA, that's sales tax free to me in CA and free shipping. Came in 3 days. Bridgestone has a $50 Visa card rebate until Sept. 30th. Final price under $200
I am doing the brakes today, so haven't ridden it since the install. I expect they will be great. My mechanic who mounted the tires said they were a really good tire.

Jaden

·
Registered
301 Posts
How long did the anakee 3 "rear" last? I have tried the Tourance & the K76. Looking to at the Anakee 3 to see if long distance paved road can improve.

Does anyone know of a long distance "rear" street tire that would fit the strom (150/70-17) , does not have to be a radial. Planning another cross Canada trip and would prefer not having to change tires part way.
The rear was heavily squared off when I bought the bike, and I put another 6,500 mi on it prior to changing tires. I've read many a rider, including DL1000 pilots, putting 18,000+ on Anakee 3's. Gripes consistently amount to: they howl above 40mph, and spirited riding causes the Anakee 3 to take on a greasy feel. I can confirm both. The rear still had 2-3,000 mi of life left in it, however the front was down to the wear bar and acting unstable on certain road surfaces. Still and all, I prefer to change tires as a set. Tourance Next possess a reputation for going 12-15,000 mi and Ride On purportedly extends tire life a bit, so I'm expecting 15,000 at minimum. The rear Tourance Next is dual compound which should minimize squaring off.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The rear was heavily squared off when I bought the bike, and I put another 6,500 mi on it prior to changing tires. I've read many a rider, including DL1000 pilots, putting 18,000+ on Anakee 3's. Gripes consistently amount to: they howl above 40mph, and spirited riding causes the Anakee 3 to take on a greasy feel. I can confirm both. The rear still had 2-3,000 mi of life left in it, however the front was down to the wear bar and acting unstable on certain road surfaces. Still and all, I prefer to change tires as a set. Tourance Next possess a reputation for going 12-15,000 mi and Ride On purportedly extends tire life a bit, so I'm expecting 15,000 at minimum. The rear Tourance Next is dual compound which should minimize squaring off.
I had a set of next, the back barely made it to 6000 miles.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I just put on a set of Avon TrailRiders Avon Motorcycle Tyres North America » TrailRider
I've been a fan of the brand for years. I have been using the Distanza on my SV and the Trailrider is the replacement after 3 years of development. Super round profile so they roll from side to side without any thrill. They are described as a 90 / 10. I also like the idea that Avon is a comparatively small factory with all the tires made on site and no outsourcing.

I got about 6500 mile from my OEM tires which is about what I get from any tires on all my bikes. And I have to say the OEMs never did anything rude. I expect to get about the same from these, too. After just a few hundred miles I'm very happy with them.

You can read a long term review of them HERE Plus you get to read a very interesting story of real world super-duty adventure riders.

Reactions: Vhawg

·
Registered
62 Posts
I went to the Shinko 804/805. I would have Gone back to the OEM except I wanted to try a more off pavement oriented tire.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just swapped out my old Trail Wings (OEM) for Anakee 3's. Front end wobble gone, and they definitely feel better than the stock tires. My only complaint so far is that little bit of road noise.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I went to the Shinko 804/805. I would have Gone back to the OEM except I wanted to try a more off pavement oriented tire.
Unless you're actually doing 50/50 off road, worse than just gravel roads, I'd consider 705's. I ran the 804/805's for a few months after my off-road course, and you definitely lose on-road grip. I went back to my old used 705's and immediately felt better about tipping her over on the on-ramps.

I'm not bashing the 804/805's, I love them, just not for mostly on-road use. The 705's have nice trades on them and should be good for mild off-road.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
For mixed riding, the 705's are what I love. They are affordable, great all around performance, surprisingly good in dirt/mud, still good on the pavement. They don't last quite as long as a Tourance, but they're a better tire for much less $$.

Reactions: Big B

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
For mixed riding, the 705's are what I love. They are affordable, great all around performance, surprisingly good in dirt/mud, still good on the pavement. They don't last quite as long as a Tourance, but they're a better tire for much less $$.
This x 100...................:fineprint:

Reactions: RCinNC

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
This x 100...................:fineprint:
I'm still a big fan of the 705's too. The front tire seems unkillable; it has 4000 miles on it now and looks like it did when I bought it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts