StromTrooper banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a K4 Wee, which has OEM handguards on it, one of which is a bit beaten up from a 0-mph tipover off the kickstand.

I don't need a full set, and I don't need the whole "kit." I just need the left handguard itself. I can use the current one, but it's got a bit of a whole where the clutch lever punched through on its way to breaking itself off.

Any suggestions whether this is available, and where?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Barkbusters are great and much more sturdy than the OEM stuff. When my OEM guards break that is what I will put on as replacements. There are also Acerbis guards to consider. Check them both out at Twisted Throtle, A Vicious Cycle, or Tourtech.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My right hand side is fine, and if the call is between keep the busted left guard or spend $150 on a full new set with mounting hardware... I'll just keep the left one with the damage it has on it and remount it with the stock bar end assembly I just bought the parts to reassemble correctly.

If I can get a non-damaged handguard shell for the left side, I'd love to, but it's not strictly worth the headache of getting new assemblies, mainly as to cost.

·
Registered
162 Posts
eBay or For Sale forum :confused:

There is always someone upgrading or that dropped it on the opposite side from you...:fineprint:

·
Registered
342 Posts
eBay or For Sale forum :confused:

There is always someone upgrading or that dropped it on the opposite side from you...:fineprint:
Oooh, that's a bingo! (Is that the way you say it? "That's a bingo"?)

New or used you can get out for well under $150.

2007 SUZUKI DL 650 V-STROM LH HAND GUARD | eBay

He's asking for $42 after shipping, or "Make An Offer", for a used item described as "scuffed and scratched" and with a crack in the top mounting hole. Huh. I suggest you Make An Offer if you decide to bite on this one.

By comparison you could get a brand new pair of hand guards, keeping the right one for the day you drop the bike in the other direction, for $48, or about $61 after shipping (based on my ZIP code):

HAND GUARD SET DL650 2004-12 :: Suzuki DL V-Strom :: Street & SuperSport :: www.oneidasuzuki.com

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'll keep ol' Lefty as is. Seems fine to reattach, just not terribly pretty... on an 8 year old bike, I'll chalk it up to character :)

Is someone really figuring on getting $30 for each handguard, beat up as they are (current ebay pair of auctions) and with no hardware??

·
Registered
370 Posts
Let me check when I get home tonight. I think I got a lefty that is a little scratched up, but otherwise in good shape. I'm won't be home till late tonight, but I'll post some pics and you can have it for free if you want.

Come to think about it.. I got to find it first. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hey you are in luck.. I do have a leftie that I can give you. It is a little scuffed up but otherwise in good condition.

If you want it please let me know, and PM me your shipping address. I'll ship it out to you but it will take me a couple of days to get this into the mail.

Don't want any money for the hand guard or shipping, just "pay it forward"

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
They are quite repairable.

Ideally a plastic re-work station (yeah right), but a temperature controlled soldering iron can do quite a good job. Set it at about 160C and have some filler plastic available - the top of the black rattle can paint you are going to do the final touch up with works just fine.

Start on the inside, melt the plastic so you have a deep v-groove down the crack, cut the filler into strips and start melting it into the vee from the far end, moving the tip from side to side so that you melt the original plastic as well.

Onto the outside, if you did it right, you just have a narrow puckered scar on that side, use the side of the iron to smooth it down.

Apply paint.

Done.

Pete

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looked it over last night, and I think it seems workable as is.

Thanks for the replacement offer, but I guess I'll stick with my current (slightly dinged up) guard.

I think the hardware might be a little screwy, as it seems to be a little bit mismatched, and the bottom of the guard doesn't actually seem to be too solidly mounted on... but I think it'll work.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Handguard replacement option

Just happened on here to revisit Stromtroopers, having sold my Wee Strom a year ago after purchasing a 1250S Bandit. I've been on some of the Bandit forums, and the subject of handguards has come up frequently. I have recommended that people use the DL650 handguard kit with the addition of a DL 1000 left handguard as the easiest and cheapest way to add handguards to a Bandit, and recommending they sell the DL 650 L guard as a replacement to someone here. Obviously it is a viable option, and is exactly what I did immediately after getting my Bandit.

DL 1000 handguards are available separately since they are standard equipment for the Vee, and I think they are around $30 each. The right guard is the same, but the left is different. The 650 guards are available only as a kit, so if you just need a lefty, you're out of luck.

I'll post a mention for you, superslomo, and maybe someone will have a new lefty for you. BTW, cdherlils, is that picture of a left guard from a DL1000, or is it an older design for a 650? I think the current one has a bigger notch for the clutch cable.

Bob

·
Registered
370 Posts
You know what.. I ran the part number off the guard.. 57541-06g10 and its for a DL1000. That was a good catch. I could have sworn it was for a DL650. I have updated my mental notes on what model the hand guard fits.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts