StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What online site do y'all go to when you need to order inexpensive replacement bolts for the dl650?

I found a few sites already, but am wondering what the favorite site is for the little things like bolts.

(Schematics says the part I'm looking for is 09139-05064 "METER PANEL SCREW")

Thanks,
-b

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Lowe's Hardware Store always worked well for me.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Bolt Depot is local to me and has been a great source for oddball fasteners that I cant find in the local hardware store. Bolt Depot - Nuts and Bolts, Screws and Fasteners online

Mail order, Internet, and phone -- even by the single piece if you need it that way. I usually have them set it up as "will call" and ride over to pick it up.

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
(Schematics says the part I'm looking for is 09139-05064 "METER PANEL SCREW")
Thanks,
-b
Looks like a M5x13 Buttonhead, from Ronayers.com fich (I'm not at home near a bike)........I have something close to that. Give me your addy and I'll send ya a few.........N/C.
mark444

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Thanks!

I already checked Home Depot; Lowes is on my list but I doubt they'll have it either.

-b
Here in Maine, Lowe's was MUCH better then Home Depot in stocking weird bolts and fasteners. Nothing as close to McMaster Carr though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like a M5x13 Buttonhead, from Ronayers.com fich (I'm not at home near a bike)........I have something close to that. Give me your addy and I'll send ya a few.........N/C.
mark444
Buttonhead sounds like a good name for this bolt. Slightly domed with a wide wide head.

Thank you very much!
I'll send you a PM with my info.
-b

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
A local independent hardware store has the best supply of nuts & bolts around here. A fastener store in an industrial region would also be a good choice if they sell small quantities.

Be sure to match the material, strength rating, and pitch of the thread, as well as the diameter of the thread. In many cases the head style can be substituted--socket head for hex head, hex plus flat washer for flange head, etc.--to use what you can find.

Strength chart: Bolt Depot - Bolt Grade Markings and Strength Chart

Thread pitch is the distance between threads in millimeters (or number of threads per inch for fractional). In some cases there are three pitches available for some metric bolt diameters, and they gott'a match the original.
Bolt Depot - Common Metric Thread Pitches - Standard, Fine, Super Fine, JIS

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
SS Bolts.......

I won't sell/supply the larger M8 & M10 size SS bolts to members where they are used in a "stress" situation: brake systems, steering stem (triples), frame members, etc.....due to Liability concerns. I have wondered what Blair's Caliper Kit uses for replacement bolts.......they appear to be SS??? (maybe they are just zinc coated???) :confused:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/group-b...ng-parts-4-piston-brake-caliper-upgrades.html

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
--BOLT Motorcycle Hardware--

I bought this kit from my local dealer, for the same price as on the website GW recommended in his reply...

It had the items I needed for my 1000

·
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
My experience has been that of the major chain hardware stores, Ace Hardware has the best metric selection, followed by Lowe's, and then Home Depot (Home Depot has practically no inventory of metric fasteners applicable to moto's).

I'm very lucky to work right around the corner from this place, so this is where I go when I need metric fasteners:

The Olander Company Inc

Most cities should have some sort of commercial/industrial fastener distributor. I'd check google or the yellow pages for a local place near you. For really oddball/specific things, I end up ordering from cheapcycleparts dot com, or some other online retailer, but you'll end up paying as much for shipping as you will for the fastener itself.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Same price? It's the same web site, just a different page.

Yes, and I am saying the dealership sold it to me at the same price as shown there :thumbup:....

·
38,103 Posts
Now I get it.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
My experience has been that of the major chain hardware stores, Ace Hardware has the best metric selection, followed by Lowe's, and then Home Depot...
+1 on Ace, my local one has a great selection of metric hardware.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
McMaster-Carr has a huge selection of bolts, nuts and anything you could ever want.
Sometimes you have to buy a box, though.

The Bolt Sportbike kit is mighty handy because it has a lot of the oddball fasteners, like flange heads and the plastic fasterners for the body parts.

For small metric bolts, I go to a local bike shop. They're the only ones that usually have metric stainless steel socket head cap screws.

You can also check for specialty shops: Metric Screw & Tool in Wakefield, MA has everything you can think of.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts