StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This next repair will by the 4th stator including the stock and I'm at my limit. This time I'm seriously considering buying a new motorcycle and most likely it'll be another V-strom. I'd like to research other bikes before committing to the same one again. So, the question here is inevitable: If you were going to buy a new motorcycle, comparable the the V-strom, what would you get?

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
This does NOT answer your question, but poses a different one...

Have you replaced your stator with a stock one every time?

The last one that I put in my Vee was one rewound by a shop and epoxy coated, so far, so good...

Something to consider...

No, it's not one that I bought off the internet from Ricky's or somewhere.

A shop down south somewhere--do an advanced search under my name and stator and you'll find it.

Charging system issues with these bikes is a drag!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Before I bought my Vstrom, I was looking at the Versys. Obviously, it goes without saying what one I thought was better, but depending on the type of ridding, the Versys was right up there.

I'd stick with another Vstrom. What are the chances that you are going to have the same problems with another bike? Slim.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Bobo

There is a reason for your stator failures. Has anybody has looked for this reason? It could be the rotor magnets out of position, or the rotor running eccentrically, or poor connectors, or something. Finding and fixing this problem will cost you less than trading bikes.

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
I'm wondering if I'm about ready for my 4th charging system failure as well

new battery yesterday, ride yesterday, voltmeter was over 14 all day, this morning it was also over 14, this afternoon, hovering between 12.8 and 13.0 then I made a scheduled stop for 15-20 minutes and since its been over 14

my next charging system replacement will be similar to RealShelby's

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
275 Posts
If the stator on my '08 Wee fails, that will be the one and only time I'll replace it. There's no excuse for an ongoing problem like that. There are just too many bikes out there to consider. There aren't many dealers of European brands in my area, so that limits me a bit. I'd probably be looking at an FJ1300 or an ST1300.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Stator failure, assuming its not just due to a quality issue with the bike, usually seems most associated with using a lot of electrical accessories.
As such its not a particularly uncommon problem, My 955i Tiger and 1050 Tiger both had/have pretty wimpy outputs. In the case of the 955i it cooked a couple of voltage regulators and one stator. I never felt I put too heavy a demands on it, a jacket liner and heated grips was about it. So far the 1050 is doing well.
Anyway, to answer your question about a different bike, if you want something with similar capabilities and design, probably a Tiger800. I would have bought one but didn't want to spring the extra cash. If it were my only bike though I wouldn't have a problem with it. And it does have a fairly stout alternator.
If you want a big boy, look at the new Triumph Tiger Explorer or Super Tenere, or R1200GS.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
This next repair will by the 4th stator including the stock and I'm at my limit. This time I'm seriously considering buying a new motorcycle and most likely it'll be another V-strom. I'd like to research other bikes before committing to the same one again. So, the question here is inevitable: If you were going to buy a new motorcycle, comparable the the V-strom, what would you get?
Got the bug a few months ago and started researching replacement rides. End result, couldn't find anything as versatile comparably priced. Have an 06 Vee also, no electrical problems to date. :beatnik:

·
Registered
522 Posts
If the stator on my '08 Wee fails, that will be the one and only time I'll replace it. There's no excuse for an ongoing problem like that. There are just too many bikes out there to consider. There aren't many dealers of European brands in my area, so that limits me a bit. I'd probably be looking at an FJ1300 or an ST1300.
I dumped my '07 Vee before the charging system even had a chance to fail. I picked up an '07 feejr and couldn't be happier:hurray: If I ever go back to an adv-tour bike it will be an S-10.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Tiger, hands down, but for the cost... Not in the market now myself.

If I were REALLY spending someone doesn't money, maybe a gs adventure or a multistrada.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
$$$$ ??

I am nervous about the electrical system too.

I installed the LED idiot light, Thursday I ran 90 miles with Gerbing jacket and the light was happy green the entire time.

I have postulated my own theorem that the entire electrical system is a delicate balance
rotor,stator, R/R , and battery all are an integral system. If 1 item is weak the whole system is threatened. That and making sure you have full light weight oil.

I think you have an obvious other problem. This loads your stator by lowering its voltage which causes the heat to destroy the insulation.
Examine the the rotor and magnets and if OK just get the Shindengen R/R and a brandy new Yuasa battery.

Remember you can replace everything for under $1000 new Tenere would be a net 11,000.

Buy a new scooter for your self but it is NOT an economic play

·
Administrator
17,218 Posts
You get what you pay for sometimes........just sayin.

·
Registered
517 Posts
$$$$ ??

I am nervous about the electrical system too.

I installed the LED idiot light, Thursday I ran 90 miles with Gerbing jacket and the light was happy green the entire time.

I have postulated my own theorem that the entire electrical system is a delicate balance
rotor,stator, R/R , and battery all are an integral system. If 1 item is weak the whole system is threatened. That and making sure you have full light weight oil.

I think you have an obvious other problem. This loads your stator by lowering its voltage which causes the heat to destroy the insulation.
Examine the the rotor and magnets and if OK just get the Shindengen R/R and a brandy new Yuasa battery.

Remember you can replace everything for under $1000 new Tenere would be a net 11,000.

Buy a new scooter for your self but it is NOT an economic play
The external alternator mod can be done on both the Wee and the Vee for under $500. I think an actual voltmeter gives you more information than the LED idiot light.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
For the record:

104 000 kms, one of those idiot lights going red green red green red green for a good third of the year.

No charging problems.

Same bike as OP.

·
Registered
517 Posts
For the record:

104 000 kms, one of those idiot lights going red green red green red green for a good third of the year.

No charging problems.

Same bike as OP.
It really seems to be hit & miss as far as charging system problems go. I wonder if there is a variation in composition in the material that is used to insulate the wires on the stator? :confused: There are many possible reasons for failure....

·
Registered
924 Posts
After my stator failure I went the Mofset route.
No troubles so far, but not many miles either. Time will tell.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I am totlly impressed with Real Shelby's efforts in this and chudder direction/ I am an inventor and ran machine making companies.

The, you can knock one of these off for $500 is actually insulting to the effort.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
If you were going to buy a new motorcycle, comparable the the V-strom, what would you get?
I don't think there is a truly comparable bike to the Vee on the market today. When you consider the "ADV" model type, the 100+ hp, and the many other features that come with the Vee, there's nothing like it at the Vee's price. The SuperTen and MultiS are better bikes of the same ilk, but cost thousands more. The Versys and the Wee are very similar but don't have the engine.

It would be really interesting to know why you've had so much stator trouble. It can't be completely a design or materials flaw; too many people (knock wood) have had no problem at all.

Buy a new Vee. If Suzuki did have a bad supplier or batch of parts they're probably long gone by now.

·
Administrator
17,218 Posts
I don't think there is a truly comparable bike to the Vee on the market today. When you consider the "ADV" model type, the 100+ hp, and the many other features that come with the Vee, there's nothing like it at the Vee's price. The SuperTen and MultiS are better bikes of the same ilk, but cost thousands more. The Versys and the Wee are very similar but don't have the engine.

It would be really interesting to know why you've had so much stator trouble. It can't be completely a design or materials flaw; too many people (knock wood) have had no problem at all.

Buy a new Vee. If Suzuki did have a bad supplier or batch of parts they're probably long gone by now.
You have a good point, although my WR250R has a better charging system than a Strom does. That should be an area that Zuk shouldn't cut corners on, cause it will strand ya!

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
I just test rode a Triumph Tiger 800. Faster, more agile, lot better stock suspension. It's about $2,500 more than a DL650.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts