StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to grasp the ratio's and their effects...bear with me. When I removed the set up on the bike I found it to be a 16/48. I replaced it with a 15/47. The gear ratio for the 16/48 is a 3, the ratio for the 15/47 is a 3.13.....so did I lose or gain low end torque?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
You have more grunt now.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
You gained a little rear wheel torque at the expense of higher revs at highway speeds.
Changing the sprockets doesn't change the torque characteristics of the motor, just the mechanical advantage between the output shaft and rear wheel.

A 1:3 ratio means for every turn of the rear sprocket your front will turn 3 times. A 1:3.13 ratio means more front sprocket turns at the same road speed, giving you higher revs but slightly better torque at the rear wheel at any given engine speed.

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DA, it might be about right....I found with the 16/48 I only hit 6th gear a few times on my last trip...no "innnn-er-state".

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Easy to change the front sprocket, and one tooth makes a noticeable difference. The chain can be adjusted for a one tooth change. It takes about three teeth on the rear to get about the same change as one tooth on the front, and it is likely that the chain would have to lengthened or shortened after a three tooth change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts