StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed the fuel strainer or “tea bag” filter on my 55,000 km 2014 DL1000A.
Guess which is the used filter?
BDEF2BE8-ED6C-4160-8236-7AE4C9B6EBF7.jpeg

Cut open old filter

I had been experiencing an intermittent problem with the bike for the past 2,000 kms or so. The symptoms started with a few stalls at red lights and occasionally running like it was nearly out of fuel (it wasn’t) . The poor running returned with a vengeance while riding on a 45 degree C day recently. It would start to hesitate while I was riding along on a light constant throttle, and when I tried increasing the throttle the engine would stop altogether as if I had hit the kill switch. After coming to a complete stop it would restart normally and allow me to ride for several kms before the problem returned.
The bike performed perfectly yesterday on a 23 degree C, 200 km ride, so my problem appears to be fixed. Removing and replacing the tank and plastics probably took longer than removing the actual fuel pump from the tank and changing the filter, so it would be good insurance to replace the filter while the tank is removed for a major service. The OEM part was $41AUD.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I paid to have mine changed a year or two back.

I got a bad load of fuel in Moolooaba and limped into Toowoomba.

I struggled to build RPM's and speed, a new strainer and fuel fixed it and have had no problems since.

I was traveling on dirt roads that my GPS did not know existed so things got tense on the big up hills as I struggled to get over them, "how do I call for help when I don't know where I am."

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was just going to ask what you may believe the reason it is so super dirty, like maybe pinpointing a couple sketchy places you for gas, bike sets out for extended periods, etc? Nothing on you my friend at all! I am just wondering if
at some time during the winter I should pull it. Mine is garage kept and mainly hit known type of gas stations here near Washington DC? I have not heard of one that got that bad without having stopped somewhere where the gas was sludge and sometimes it is hard to tell coming from a hose or container. Just wondering AND great job finding and fixing the problem my friend!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t know why the filter was so dirty. Maybe it is not abnormal after 35,000 miles. I normally buy my fuel at name brand servos on main roads. The bike is garaged when not being ridden. I have a friend with the same model bike with a similar mileage who hasn’t yet experienced the problems that I had. The strange thing was that the bike was running fine in between the times when it was playing up. It only became really bad and virtually unrideable at the end of a 3 day trip on a 40+ degree C day. I didn’t try riding it again when the weather cooled to see if it was back to normal. I decided just to change the fuel strainer/ filter and hope that it fixed the problem, which it seems to have done so far.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
You never can tell.

When I got my bad tank of fuel I picked the service station because it looked very new and thought they would have good tanks, how wrong I was.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for including the video Rick. I watched it before replacing my filter. I should have included it in my post to assist others needing to undertake this job. It is quite straight forward once the tank is removed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had the same issue on my 2024 V that I keep here at our second home in Mexico. I didn't have a replacement so I cleaned it with carb cleaner and put it back. I now add injector cleaner once in a while when I happen to think of it and I've had no problems since.

But question: do these pumps have the high pressure internal filter as the earlier years do? Given the 2014 and later models use a different plastic fuel pipe system, it's not obvious to me how I'd attach external hoses to bypass the internal filter if it's there.

Also, OEM replacements for the filter are available on Amazon and eBay. But, OP, if probably have spent the $ and gotten the OEM too if I needed one quickly!)

Vinnie

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
According to the workshop manual there is a high pressure filter (7) in the fuel pump. When I was researching my problem I read that the fuel pump high pressure filter can cleaned by running the pump backwards and flushing it with kerosine. I think if my fuel pump filter was blocked I would just buy a new pump.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I have a couple of bush bashers at Rolex that don't get driven very often and the fuel pumps give some trouble, I run them backwards off a jump starter pack for about 5 minutes, they then give no trouble till the next time they sit for a few weeks.

·
Vendor
4,729 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,616 Posts
IMG_20200112_200728913~2.jpg

For reference, here's my (2007 Vee) fuel strainer at just over 50k miles. It's a lot like yours in the newer Vee, though not identical.

I saw no need to replace the strainer. I was able to wipe off the debris you see, then the strainer looked almost new. I'm not sure whether a truly new strainer is white, because I've never seen a new one. Possibly, the yellow tint is due to being soaked in petrol for years.

High-pressure filter was clogged though, to the point I was getting less than half of designed fuel flow. About 150 mL in 30 seconds, where I should have seen 300 mL/30 sec minimum. That's why I was looking here in the first place.

As with your newer Vees, the high-pressure filter on my 2007 was built into an expensive OEM component next to the actual pump. I did the filter bypass/inline fuel filter modification last week, now have an automotive inline filter installed, and get about 375 mL/30 seconds flow. You can imagine the effect on performance. It's almost like having a new bike.

Don't know whether such a mod is possible for the newer Vee. It looks like your high-pressure filter is built into the regulator device (15610-14J00), so maybe.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm, I wonder which is easier. That running the pump backwards with Kerosene seams like a good option in an emergency with no replacement filter, but if the tank is off changing the filter doesn't "look" like too much trouble. I guesss I'll find out.

Are these the filters Amazon.com: MUCO 5pc New Motorcycle Intank EFI Fuel Pump Strainer/Filter Fit Suzuki/Cagiva 15420-35F01: Automotive
That part number is for the first gen V-Strom 1000. It may work but for $30 or so I would go with the OEM. The part you need is 15420-05H00.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts