StromTrooper banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced the magneto on my 2012 DL1000 as the magnetics shifted. I tightened it down to 115 ft/lbs per the manual. I was able to move the engagment gear of the starter clutch so I figured everything was fine. The bike was hard to start at first but I persisted and got it running as expected. Took it out for a few short rides, 3 miles each time. On the second ride it would not start after losing power. I was able to push start the bike and got it home. The electrics check out; voltage to the starter when pushing the button. I removed the starter and "electric" side had failed and was full of copper pieces and electrical wire. I have a new starter on order but before installing wanted to see is anyone else has had this experience. I am concerned that I damaged something when installing the new magneto. Advice or experience with this is appreciated.
Gas Auto part Automotive lighting Machine Metal
Gas Auto part Automotive lighting Machine Metal

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like it could have been engaged in the motor the whole time.

the wear on the commutator is not normal just from pushing the start button, it would stop working long before it got to that point.
I am concerned the starter clutch kept turning the whole time thus forcing the starter to turn and failing. Any experience with the starter clutch assembly? I am planning on pulling it down this weekend.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts