StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In an accident that I had in Oct.2008 I bent the radiator down slightly. I've put 15,000 mi on the bike since then without replacing the radiator. No leaks that i've been able to find and the coolant level always seems to be fine.

I've come across a radiator for my bike and I've go to decide whether to go ahead and purchase it and replace my bent radiator.

I know that its my decision for my comfort but anyone have any thoughts?

Outside of the obvious issue with the radiator, it does make the fairing a little more difficult to put on and I know that the threads in the radiator for the bolt are somewhat marred, but not to the point of the bolt not going in.

·
Registered
555 Posts
15000 miles on it? I wouldn't worry about it on my bike, but there are plenty of other things I'd rather get. But if it's concerning you and you have the means to get the new radiator then I say go for it.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Yeah, I have a thought. I wonder what you would do if there wasn't the internet.
Would you just stand in the corner of the room rocking back and forth with your head in your hands mumbling "oh my god, oh my god, oh my god..."?
I don't think so, so why the hell are you asking us?

Would you rather someone else make the decision for you?
Here you go: replace your radiator, but replace it with a brand new one.
(I usually charge by the hour, but that was pretty easy, so just donate 5$ to the next homeless person you see.)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I have a thought. I wonder what you would do if there wasn't the internet.
Would you just stand in the corner of the room rocking back and forth with your head in your hands mumbling "oh my god, oh my god, oh my god..."?

(I usually charge by the hour, but that was pretty easy, so just donate 5$ to the next homeless person you see.)
I"m just trying to get a feel for its integrity and durability as well as to see if anyone else has had the same issue and what they ended up doing and why and what their results were. A little bit of research before I make up my mind to invest in a new radiator.

For you duck, I'll make sure that I am more specific with my posts with respect to the information I'm looking for, lest you miss something.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

Somewhere in Vancouver the underside of a bridge is missing it's Ducky.

daxsonvt,

I've been running a bent radiator for two years and 30,000 miles with no issues. If you can get a good deal on one in better shape, it would probably be worth replacing your current to keep for a spare.

Also, as far as fairing fitment is concerned, the connection point on mine was misaligned enough so that after about a year (with significant gravel road riding) the attacment "ear" on tha fairing broke. If the fairing is stressed at all, you have another reason to ignore the fine example of ignorance betraying arrogance quoted above by that pointlessly vitriolic Vancourverian.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
1--replace the radiator
2--contact a motorcycle radiator fix-it place and confirm that it can be fully repaired, and get an idea of the cost.
3--offer it for sale with repair info attached.

You're getting a solid radiator for yourself and giving a fair priced radiator to another stromtrooper who needs one.

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the information. This October meets my 2 year mark for riding on it. I had only seriously considered replacing it after I found a new one that was still in the box that was priced well. I have heard of panels that didn't fit right for one reason or another that snapped from the stress.

I hadn't considered getting it repaired because I thought it may do more damage if not done right. I'll look into once the new one arrives and decide whether to keep it around or sell it.

Anyone know the best way to store a radiator?

·
Registered
806 Posts
In an accident that I had in Oct.2008 I bent the radiator down slightly. I've put 15,000 mi on the bike since then without replacing the radiator. No leaks that i've been able to find and the coolant level always seems to be fine.

I've come across a radiator for my bike and I've go to decide whether to go ahead and purchase it and replace my bent radiator.

Outside of the obvious issue with the radiator, it does make the fairing a little more difficult to put on and I know that the threads in the radiator for the bolt are somewhat marred, but not to the point of the bolt not going in.
I've been running a bent rad for over 2 years. I had to straighten it slightly over a 2x4 so the fan would rotate but it's never leaked a drop. I just got a parts bike and it has a straight rad so I'm going to put it in just because I have it, otherwise I would have left it.

·
Registered
806 Posts

Thought I read a year or so ago you weren't going to post anymore. Too bad you didn't keep your promise. Then we wouldn't have to read your bull sh*t reply's

·
Registered
381 Posts

Hey Duck, I'm curious if you talk to people in person the way you do on the internet? You really do add a negative influence around here; anyway you could lighten up?

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
If the fairing is stressed at all, you have another reason to ignore the fine example of ignorance betraying arrogance quoted above by that pointlessly vitriolic Vancourverian.
That's pretty much the advice I gave him, why do you say he should ignore it?

Thought I read a year or so ago you weren't going to post anymore. Too bad you didn't keep your promise. Then we wouldn't have to read your bull sh*t reply's
1) The advice I gave was good: replace the rad.
2) I'm sure he got the fact that I was being funny. Why are you so antagonistic man? take a laughing pill every once in a while.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Why?

If you inspected the radiator and it is sound +2yrs/15000 mi, why would you fix what is not broken? No mention of the cost of the replacement but, anything at all for something which isn't in disrepair would seem to answer your own question. Again how many miles total on the odo., seems self evident. But, all in, you are the operator and as such, you bear the total responsibility for the condition of your ride. Good luck

·
Administrator
17,396 Posts
Hey Duck, I'm curious if you talk to people in person the way you do on the internet? You really do add a negative influence around here; anyway you could lighten up?
What would be your guess? I personally know some folks on this site, that if he were to talk to them that way in person.....things would not go well.:weapons_15:

·
Registered
211 Posts
The pure economic answer: Do you intend to sell the bike, and if so will the resale value be increased by the net cost of the radiator swap? Remember to include the opportunity costs of spending your cash on a radiator.

The purely emotional answer: Would a straight radiator make you happy?

The cautious packrat answer: Buy the radiator and keep it as a spare, but don't swap it. That way if you drop the bike again you won't hurt your new radiator.

The hyperactive packrat answer: Buy the radiator, swap it, fix the old radiator, swap them back, keep the "new" radiator as a spare.

The practical answer: No, don't buy it, just set the money aside in case you need it later and ride.

The reasonable answer: What do I care? It ain't my bike.

:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New Radiator $450, new off the shelf. I looked up the regular price and I think I remember it to be somewhere around $580 to $600. Not a bad discount considering the price of OEM parts.

I went ahead and bought it and I'm going to see if I can't get someone to fix the old one. I'll either sell the old one or hold onto it. May further offset some of the price. I bet I'll sell it and then figure out a way to mangle the new one and kick myself for getting rid of the old one :).

Outside of the bent radiator, the threads that receive the bolt are marred (from the impact of the accident, something impacted the fairing right at the head of the bolt). Any of you who kept the radiator have the same problem?

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
You obviously failed to see the humour in my post. I don't think I'm the one that needs to lighten up...

Yes, I talk like that IRL; No-one ever gets upset; maybe the fact that I'm joking shows better on my face than on the intertubes.

You must have a very low preconceived impression of me indeed if you honestly thought that there was no possibility of what I said being a joke.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You obviously failed to see the humour in my post. I don't think I'm the one that needs to lighten up...

Yes, I talk like that IRL; No-one ever gets upset; maybe the fact that I'm joking shows better on my face than on the intertubes.

You must have a very low preconceived impression of me indeed if you honestly thought that there was no possibility of what I said being a joke.
Well, over the past year I've seen post after post of yours that put people down when they are simply asking for help or support; almost like you perceive that as weakness - "time to pounce." I've held my tongue because I don't like to get into this negative type of anonymous posting but have never liked it. Most of the people here are happy to help out, you seem to enjoy chiding or ridiculing. I don't understand that. Maybe if you truly are "just joking" you could make that clear?

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Maybe if you truly are "just joking" you could make that clear?
Yeah, I've decided a few times that I'd use smileys to indicate sarcasm/humour.
My resolution for next year is to do that (this year's was to use punctuation and capitalization properly, and didn't I do a good job at that?)

It's just very hard for me to figure out when I need to emphasize the fact that I'm trying to be funny though. Some of the stuff I say is so outrageous that I cannot imagine anyone possibly taking it seriously.

My next sentence is not designed to be funny or offensive (but it probably will offend; I'm used to it by now):
I think that anyone who believes that an adult of average education and intelligence would seriously suggest that someone rock back and forth in the corner of a room saying "oh god, oh god, oh god" while holding their head because they're wondering whether or not to replace a radiator is indeed very gullible.

My reaction to people not getting my humour is that either I'm not funny (which is very likely), or that people aren't capable of getting it (I think that people should still get it before deciding that it isn't funny). Nonetheless, I rarely expect to be taken seriously; I do try to provoke a reaction for sure, but I also expect it to be followed by the conclusion that I cannot possibly be serious.

My friends seem to get it; it's true that I probably shouldn't use them as a reference since they know me (but they all know I'm joking even when I'm not funny). On the other hand, most of them started out thinking I was a total jerk, so I can't (and do not) assume that everyone that doesn't understand I'm joking is an idiot (secretly, deep down inside, I silently laugh at them though, and if that makes me a jerk, so be it).

The new year is here soon, and I've done well with the punctuation thing. In 2011, I will make a real effort and succeed in effectively communicating when I am attempting to be funny. If that forces me to actually be funny, we'll all be better off for it.

In the mean time, I will thank everyone for their patience (though I have no idea why anyone who doesn't suffer from psychological issues beyond my comprehension should care what anyone else thinks about them).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts