StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to change my gps hook up from cig- lighter to powerlet. The pomerlet plug accomodates two wires + - There are three wires from my gps. Red, black and white, I assume pos, neg, and neuteral. Can I just do away with the white wire or is it more complex than that?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I assume you mean you want to change the plug on your GPS power cord to fit a powerlet outlet instead of a cigarette one? Check the cigarette plug first for what the output voltage is first, because a direct swap may fry your unit.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Take 12v GPS adapter apart (the part you plug into cig lighter). Take the innards out of the plug. Put them in a small radio shack box, hot glue them in. Solder the tails of your new powerlet connector to the 'innards' of the old plug (+ to + and - to -).

VOILA.

KRS

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The cigarette plug has a voltage converter in it to take the 12VDC from a vehicle and supply 5 volts DC to the GPS through a 2 amp fuse. You cannot take the voltage converter out of the circuit without letting the magic smoke out of the GPS unit.

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I get it. I guess I will hard wire it in using the voltage converter from my cig plug. Seems funny though that with this being such a common situation that there is not a manufactured solution available! Thanks Guys

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
You don't mention the GPS model but check this out if you can use the USB to power your GPS.

You can buy a Garmin bare wire kit that has a small black box voltage reducer in the circuit as well as a fuse. It connects to the battery with 2 wires and plugs into the GPS USB port. The wire is long enough to go from the battery to my mounting position behind the Madstad bracket. I bought my kit as a package with the cradle for the Nuvi 550 from West Marine for $20.
Here is the link:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/364233/377%20710/0/nuvi%20550/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=nuvi%20550&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=nuvi%20550&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5003&subdeptNum=3&classNum=10880

You can also buy the bare wire kit at GPS city without the cradle but it costs more than the West Marine kit. If you buy the West Marine kit and you don't have any use for the Nuvi 550 cradle I'll be happy to take it off your hands for my boat.

Edit: I just noticed you are in BC. I ordered the kit on-line delivered to the West Marine store in Bellingham and had my son pick it up for me when he was driving back up...you could go for a ride and pick it up. Only took a few days for them to get it in the store. GPS city in Calgary wants $50 for the same kit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I have a tomtom but it may be the same connector. I'll find out and I have to go to the states next month anyway. By the way I am just up the road from you in Courtenay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts