StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Usually labels need heating before removal. You can use a drying fan for that purpose but definitely not a torch. :lol:

P

·
0 Posts
labels

Get out a hair dryer and heat up the entire label for a couple of minutes, then go back to one corner of the label with the hair dryer and try to gently pick up the corner with your finger nail. When you get a corner started, keep the hair dryer behind the label and pull real slow. Your fingers might get a little warm but it should work. Any residue left comes off nice with a clean rag sprayed with WD-40. I used to work in a body shop so this is easy for me.

T

·
0 Posts
MIne just peeled off without any heat. I just got a corner up with my fingernail and peeled very slowly. :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
I picked off the surface of my stickers as best as I could without waisting too much time and then used a rag with kerosene (have it in the garage for cleaning my chain). Worked great. Of course, the kerosene can probably take your paint off, too, if you if they stay in contact long enough.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hairdrier Question

Will a hairdrier, as described by Petey, do the trick on the Suzuki labels on the tank? I like the V-Strom badge but not the cheap plastic Suzuki stickers. Any advice would be appreciated - I will then have to borrow a hairdrier as I don't have much call for one nowadays! :roll: Cheers, Scoop

·
Registered
199 Posts
well

I used a razor blade, and carefully peeled it up, then used "Goof off" to get the Gummy stuff off. Don’t use GOOF OFF on plastic parts!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks Swedge - sounds like a job for a sober individual with a steady hand - now..... where do I find such a person! :? Cheers Scoop

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I can confirm that instructions here are good - took me a few minutes to remove the ugly tank warning decal.

Some hair dryer (not on the same point and not too close) and finger nails to take it off (5 minutes of wrestling with the adhesive stuff).
Then a little bit WD-40 and a cloth to remove the adhesive stuff.

The tank is now clean and shiny - no scratches or traces of the original decal.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I used a heat gun to warm it up up and peel the label off, then used Goo Gone to remove the glue. My Wee is an 04 so they were a little harder to remove. I haven't done the ones on the black part off the fairing yet. I don't want to damage the plastic so I haven't tried it yet.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
One thing I don't think has been mentioned yet is to get the tank low on fuel. It's hard to heat the surface under the sticker otherwise.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I always thought an empty tank was not the safest to work on, better full, less room for expansion and ignition. :confused: Fumes are not fun.
It is only a hair dryer..not a torch blower.
I don't think it really matters - The adhesive just got warm and then it was a bit easier to pill it off. It was 30 outside so I had to keep heating it.
With or without fuel I would not have over heated the area.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
With a full tank, you are mainly heating the fuel. The steel and the fuel touching it will be about the same temperature. With an empty tank, you are heating the steel and a little air. You aren't welding the tank. That's a major tabu as that will ignite vapors.

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
Sit the bike in the hot sun "if available" and the loathsome stickers will come right off.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Will a hairdrier, as described by Petey, do the trick on the Suzuki labels on the tank? I like the V-Strom badge but not the cheap plastic Suzuki stickers. Any advice would be appreciated - I will then have to borrow a hairdrier as I don't have much call for one nowadays! :roll: Cheers, Scoop
Yes, a hairdryer will make short work of the decals on the fairings. The first thing I did on my new black '11 was to remove the "V-Strom" arrow decals on both sides. Heat them up until they're very warm to the touch (but not so hot that you can't touch them) and they'll peel right off. Start at the front edge, peel slowly and continue to heat with the hair dryer as you pull them off, and they'll come right off. I didn't even need Goof Off or WD-40, there was no glue left behind at all. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
It is only a hair dryer..not a torch blower.
I don't think it really matters - The adhesive just got warm and then it was a bit easier to pill it off. It was 30 outside so I had to keep heating it.
With or without fuel I would not have over heated the area.
With a full tank, you are mainly heating the fuel. The steel and the fuel touching it will be about the same temperature. With an empty tank, you are heating the steel and a little air. You aren't welding the tank. That's a major tabu as that will ignite vapors.

I work in a Kitchen, getting oil to burn is no talent. I have a few scars from some minor burns, I just want others to be safe.
Yeah - a hair dryer is not a welder :eek:ut::bom_rolleyes4:

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Don't get me wrong - I did answer to GreyWolf, but bottom line I will follow his advice and peel the next decals on an empty tank..

·
Registered
199 Posts
I took mine off the other day. The stickers were a bit brittle on the '05, so I couldn't peel them off. I was able to use a hair dryer in one hand and worked it with a credit card in the other hand. Goo gone cleaned up the rest. It took awhile but worked well. I did the same with stickers mounted on the plastic fairing, no marks left behind. A credit card or old gift card will do as well as a razor but without the risk of damage.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts