StromTrooper banner

Removing the decals?

13K views 39 replies 28 participants last post by  RideEcono 
#1 · (Edited)
:confused: In a lot of pictures of seemingly stock colored bikes I've noticed the decals, specifically the V-strom stickers on the metal tank, are missing. I had figured they were clear coated over, making them difficult to remove, but can you take the stickers off without having to repaint the bike?

#2 ·
My 09's are not clear coated over. I am waiting until its nice and hot out to take them off. Try a product called SemSolve to remove any sticky mess left behind.

Adam

#3 ·
When I bought my '04 wee the previous owner had tried to remove the Suzuki "S" off the tank and really screwed up the paint. I removed the other stickers before I repainted the bike and they came off fairly easy with a heat gun, but the other "S" gave me problems too.
I think the older the bike and where it lives (mine was in hot Texas sun for 6 years) determines how stuck on the decals are.

#5 ·
I wouldn't mind keeping the Suzuki "S" emblem but the bigger 'Strom sticker I was looking to remove. I'll wait and try to take them off when it gets hot here (shouldn't be long now), but I'd just figured they were actually painted in. Nice to know I can make some of the changes I wanted to without having to do it all at once! :D

#6 ·
If you take a look at the removal thread posted above, you'll see that the decals come off easily. You shouldn't need to wait for hot weather. I did mine on a cool night with just 2 minutes of hair dryer at point blank range. Pulled right off and left no residue.

I haven't tried the S badge. I use it as a mirror to pick bugs out of my teeth when I get off the bike. Why don't I use the handlebar mirrors? Because that's not as funny.

#11 ·
The tank decals come off with a hair drier very easily. Now all those legal notices plastered all over the rest of the bike...that's another story.

#12 ·
Ladyeclectic...I also live in Hanford. Look for a guy with a silver helmet on an Oort Gray Wee. That's me. The lady with me on the Candy Apple Red Burgman is Mrs. Deuce. I just left my bike out in the sun for several hours last summer, and the decals peeled right off. We've been blessed with moderate weather so far this year, but that is supposed to change by next week.:thumbdown:

#14 ·
Sticker Removal

As far as the stickers go, I literally pealed mine off by hand. It left very little residue which I was then able to completely remove by gently wiping it off with some rubbing alcohol.
Hair Driers work great too!
Haven't removed the S yet but I am going to soon.

I am really glad I de-badged it. It significantly cut down on the number of comments from wannabe's. Now instead of hearing things like "That's a 650 huh?" I hear "Hey, what the hell kind of bike is that?" :green_lol: :thumbup:

#15 ·
Sticker removal after 7 years.

As far as the stickers go, I literally pealed mine off by hand. It left very little residue which I was then able to completely remove by gently wiping it off with some rubbing alcohol.
Hair Driers work great too!
Haven't removed the S yet but I am going to soon.

I am really glad I de-badged it. It significantly cut down on the number of comments from wannabe's. Now instead of hearing things like "That's a 650 huh?" I hear "Hey, what the hell kind of bike is that?" :green_lol: :thumbup:
I pulled the Strom sticker off the fairing to replace it with the Cypress Graphics. Lightly warmed it up with a heat gun and it came right off. It left a raised surface of adhesive that is well dried 7 years later. I have used rubbing alcohol, WD-40, PB Blaster, Goof Off, all to no avail. It is not removing this. I am concerned that the adhesive that shows thru my new letters will attract dirt and stand out like a sore thumb. I am ready to try Ronson lighter fluid tonight. If anyone else has tips, let me know. The heat gun on the adhesive only served to dry it out and make it show more. Not having much luck here.

#16 ·
Soak a rag in alcohol and apply the rag to the glue for a minute first before rubbing. It takes time to start working.

#18 ·
... ORRRRrrrrrrr, you could just buy a heat gun from Lowes for about a 20 note and ENSURE you won't goof. I tried the hair dryer and it totally F'ed it all up. I ended up dumping half a bottle of goo gone and it seemed like the more I yelled at it, the faster it came off. Bought the heat gun, it was worth every ounce of sanity I lost the previous day.

Psssst, pssssst... between you and me, you could probably repackage the item and return it and nobody would ever... ohhh, nevermind, that would be dishonest. I actually kept mine, and have used it about a dozen times since.

#21 ·
Alchohol no go heat gun no go

Alcohol soaked on a rag and held up against it did not touch it. All it did was highlight it with a more dry appearance.

A heat gun did nothing but dry it out further. There is not more moisture left in this adhesive to heat up. The end that had the heat gun on it is just more visible than the other end.

Sad to say, brake parts cleaner 'sort of' loosened it up to where a thumbnail would scrap it off in little globules. It is by no means clean but I am going to call it quits on the adhesive before I start pulling the paint up. That being said, the paint must be pretty good to hold up to the chemical bath I have thrown at it.

I keep staring at the battery acid left on the shelf, surely that would get it up.

#19 ·
A heat gun is also handy for shrink tubing when wiring. Be careful though. Even on low, a heat gun can melt the plastics.

#23 ·
You have more than glue there then. Only the color layer of the sticker came off before and the base layer is still there. That happened on my 2006 bike. An old sticker is much harder to get off and a little at a time was the result. Lighter fluid may be an option.

#27 ·
It's good to know carb cleaner didn't eat the paint.

#28 ·
Permatex Decal and Adhesive Remover

You don't wipe, just keep dabbing it on with a clean section of paper towel until the
adhesive is absorbed. The older and heavier the layer of adhesive/film, the longer it
takes. At least this stuff is safe on everything...paint, plastics, etc.

I got it at an auto parts (Autozone). Also available on Amazon:
Amazon.com: Permatex 80025 Decal and Adhesive Remover - 5 oz.: Automotive

#32 ·
Koala drool is rich in eucalyptus.

#35 ·
3M makes a decal adhesive works very well. Naptha from your local hardware will also likely work well. Just a word of warning, before using anything, try some of the solvent on an inconspicuous spot to make sure it won't dull/harm the paint. Also, If using the heat gun be very careful, as greywolf said it can melt/warp the plastics, it will also soften the paints considerably before melting to the point of possibly pulling off.

#36 ·
Just a tip from my latest experience- A guitar pick is a really useful tool for removing decals. I used a Fender 351 Classic Celluloid Medium pick.
It seems to be soft enough not to hurt the plastic/paint, but then firm enough and has a pointy shape that goes under the decals into the adhesive.
The pick is by definition easy to use due to its size and original designation as a thumb/finger tool.

So I think using a thin pick to remove decals is better then using a credit card..and also cooler :mrgreen:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.