StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't care for the large zigzag on the tank graphic on late model V-stroms. Can it be removed with a heat gun or it is under a clear coat?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Easy peesy. Mine and the silver S came off without incident. The decals on the back panels came off, but left a raised pattern. The pattern was subtle, but I ended up buggering the paint trying to get it off. Better to have left it alone once the decals were off.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just heat that sucker up and peel it off then get some goo off to remove any tacky glue residue left behind.Now you can go to a graphics place that makes custom decals and design something real cool for it .I am having the Gold Flake S and the VStrom and the rear DL 1000 made for my red 2006 DL 1000 It looks like the gold flake used on the fire trucks its cool cant wait till he is done with them.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the tips. My 2005 has a nice understated graphic. But I don't care for the big graphics they put on the newer ones. And I may look at getting a newer Vstrom 1st gen rather than the Wee2 in the future.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Careful with the goo gone.. I just removed the decals on my 2012 Vee and used a spray version. This type left permanent runs on my plastics. Its happened fast too. The time it took to grab my towel after spraying was enough. Mere seconds really!

If you need to use it I'd spray it into your towel rather than directly on the fairing.

Fortunately its hard to see with the Nebula Black paint, but its there if you look.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
I took my rear decals off my 04 650 after they had been on there 10 years. Heat first allowed me to get most of it off. Then I used Goof Off on the sticky bits - and promptly damaged the paint (it looks faded). Learn from my mistake and don't use Goof Off, particularly on the plastics.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
That is a funny thread, the tyre pressure label is a Federal mandated label. As always someone is the know it all of everthing.

Tire Safety Information, Final Rule.
Excerpts from rule:
"This rule applies to all new and retreaded tires for use on vehicles manufactured after 1975 with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less and to all new vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less, except for motorcycles and low speed vehicles."

"This rule establishes that its labeling revisions apply, except where noted, to new pneumatic tires for use on motor vehicles with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less, manufactured after 1975, except for motorcycles and LSVs, and for new motor vehicles with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less."

???

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sticker removal

I just took mine off. (06 VEE bought last year) CAREFUL with the heat gun. I got a bit too close now have a dimple in my plastic from it melting a bit.

Not too noticeable. What did the trick was a very careful use of a razor blade and a lot of rubbing with Goo Gone.

Waxed it and it looks great!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Standard No. 119 - New Pneumatic Tires - Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, Buses, Trailers, and Motorcycles (Effective 3-1-75)
This standard establishes performance and marking requirements for tires for use on multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, buses, trailers, and motorcycles. Its purpose is to provide safe operational performance levels for tires used on motor vehicles other than passenger cars, and to place sufficient information on the tires to permit their proper selection and use.

This is from the link I supplied:
NHTSA�s labeling requirements for new tires for vehicles other than passenger cars are set forth in FMVSS No. 119, New Pneumatic Tires for Vehicles other than Passenger Cars (49 CFR �571.119).� Paragraph S6.5 of FMVSS No. 119 specifies that all tires for vehicles other than passenger cars must have certain markings on the sidewalls.�Among other things, these tires must show the actual number of plies in the tire, the composition of the ply cord material (S6.5(f)), and a letter designating the load range (S6.5(j)).�S6.5 also provides that the designated information must appear, on at least one sidewall, in an area between the maximum section width and bead of the tire, unless the maximum section width of the tire falls between the bead and one-fourth of the distance from the bead to the shoulder of the tire.�For tires for which the maximum section width falls in that area, all required labeling must be located between the bead and a point one-half the distance from the bead to the shoulder of the tire.�Additionally, section S6.5(b) requires that each tire be marked with the tire identification required by part 574 of this chapter and that this number may be marked on only one sidewall.

any more questions ???? So maybe I was CORRECT

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I took my rear decals off my 04 650 after they had been on there 10 years. Heat first allowed me to get most of it off. Then I used Goof Off on the sticky bits - and promptly damaged the paint (it looks faded). Learn from my mistake and don't use Goof Off, particularly on the plastics.
Good luck.
I think Goof Off is for removing paint drips/mistakes while Goo Gone is for removing adhesive residue. Personally I use WD40 for adhesives.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts