StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title may be a slight misnomer as we've yet to get my new (to me) lowering links on. The nuts holding the bolts in are too tight - my boyfriend tried to loosen them with every muscle he had (which is considerable) but we only managed to almost strip the smaller nut and make his back (and both our knuckles) all achy. We're going to look for an impact wrench today as that seems the only way these bolts will come off, but is there another way? Are they reverse thread or something? I don't have a manual yet but it seemed like an easy thing to do when I read about others doing the install...

·
Registered
89 Posts
They're not reverse thread.

If I recall right they're supposed to be torqued way up, like 72 ft-lbs or something. And probably if they have been taken off before someone put threadlocker on there. So they take quite a bit of leverage.

Slip a hollow pipe over the end of your ratchet handle, it gives a lot more leverage, and make sure someone else is preventing the other side from turning with a properly sized wrench or ratchet.

Also, you've got it up on a centerstand and not the side stand, right?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup I've got it up on the centerstand, no sidestand action for this one. The bolts didn't look like they'd been touched before we tore into (and through *sigh*) them. We did try a longer bar over the wrench but it did nothing but move the entire assembly - there wasn't enough leverage on the other side to hold the moving nut in place as it's been well-near stripped. Damn I hope there's not threadlocker in there, it's a pain in the patoot already!

Hopefully we can find someone with an impact wrench. Worst case scenerio we totally strip the smaller bolt, crossing my fingers that doesn't happen!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
You might try some heat on that too. You may be able to heat it up enough
to loosen up that nut. Needless to say, be real careful of where you point
your torch... I don't think there's much down there that will combust- but
I've been wrong before about such things. Better ask an expert first.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It sounds like you are trying to hold the nut and turn the bolt. You hold the bolt and turn the nut. Both bolts are the same size so I'm not sure what you are leaning on if one is smaller. #9 and #14 are the bolts in question.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
It sounds like you are trying to hold the nut and turn the bolt. You hold the bolt and turn the nut. Both bolts are the same size so I'm not sure what you are leaning on if one is smaller. #9 and #14 are the bolts in question.
Sounds like it might not be a bad investment to have a couple of replacement bolts and nuts on hand for when you do eventually get them free.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Greywolf is right (of course...again!!:thumbup:)

I ran into the same problem putting on some raising links. I was able to remove one of the links just fine, but the second one was giving me the same problem you are having. All it took was a friend to hold a wrench on one side to keep it from turning, and I was on the other side and the bolt comes right off. Good luck and don't forget your locktite with the new links.

One more thing...when you get the nuts off, lift the tire slightly and the links will slide out easily.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I did mine with no problems using a small propane torch to heat the nuts. This melts or loosens the LockTite that is bonding them. Holding the bolt head with a locking wrench while turning the nut with an open wrench did the trick easily. Agree that with all the wrenching you have already done, replacing the bolts and nuts is probably a good idea.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
6 sided box end wrench on the nut and then beat the wrench with a hammer. Let the pipe, ratchett and socket dead head to something solid on the bolt head end. Can you get the other (top or bottom) loose ? Your confindence lever will be up if you can get one end loose. How are you holding the bike up, center stand ? I like to come along the bike's ass up in the air. Then I can let down to the new dog bone lenght and not need to raise the rear wheel back up. Plus I feel safer when prying and beating on the bike.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am working the same problem almost. The lower bolt/nut came off with a little help from a 14 inch breaker bar on the 17mm nut end, and a "T" wrench on the 14mm bolt end to keep that from turning - both 1/2" drive. However the top bolt/nut I feel it starting to slip, so I am now going to get 6 point sockets instead of 12 point that I am using, and see how it goes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts