StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a pre-owned 2005 V strom with some cosmetic imperfections on both exhause heat shields. Apparently, the previous owner attached some saddlebags that rubbed the aluminum finish and created some rather extensive dark scratches. Can anyone advise on how to remove the shields? I'm thinking of replacing them. And does anyone know where to find replacements? I heard Ron Ayers may be a good bet.

Thanks

·
Registered
640 Posts
Put an add in the classifides, there are enough people who get aftermarket exhuast that finding a set shouldn't be too hard.

BTW,

Some people call them scars, not scratches. Scars a are cool.

·
Registered
93 Posts
mdube said:
I purchased a pre-owned 2005 V strom with some cosmetic imperfections on both exhause heat shields. Apparently, the previous owner attached some saddlebags that rubbed the aluminum finish and created some rather extensive dark scratches. Can anyone advise on how to remove the shields? I'm thinking of replacing them. And does anyone know where to find replacements? I heard Ron Ayers may be a good bet.

Thanks
Hmmm. Maybe the DL1000 is different than the 650, but I have always heard that the aluminum-looking exhaust heat shield on the 650 is actually a special heat-resistant plastic.

Either way I am impressed that I can ride the bike for hours, turn the engine off and immediately touch the heat shield without getting burned. Now that's progress!

·
Registered
566 Posts
mdube said:

Thanks
You might be better off looking for a used set that someone removed from a new bike. The new shields would be about $250 so this might be a better alternative.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts