StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

In my attempt to remove the front fender, there is one fastener that holds a clip to to route cables/hoses. It is the upper right fork leg, and there is a captive nut I can't see or get to , to remove the fastner. When I try to remove it with my allen wrench, I can hear the captive nut or whatever it is, spinning in there and not biting so allow the fastener to spin out. Anyone else run into this or am I missing a procedure to remove this? Thanks.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It's been mentioned often. Suzuki decided to use a strong thread locker on a nut that is pretty much impossible to hold with a tool. The wheel probably needs to come off first. Then great care is required to use heat and/or anaerobic adhesive solvent to defeat the thread locker and not melt the plastic. That is best done before the backing plate spins in the fender.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Maybe try some pbblast? careful not to get it on brake lines or tires!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fasterner spec

Does anyone know the fastener spec for that? (I kind of drilled mine out)
I want to make a different system that is temporary before I get the Touratech fender. I need size, etc. Thanks all.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It's a rectangular steel plate with a boss welded on that's drilled and tapped M6x1.0 and slid into a slot cast into the fender. If you haven't terribly buggered the hole, a 6mm nylock nut and a fender washer will work temporarily. What exactly do you need? If you drilled through the plate, you can probably use a longer bolt and nut with it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Need bolt

Sorry, I only drilled out the Bold Allen head, then deeper into the bolt until it freed the fender. The square fastener is fine, but I am going to replace it with a locking nut/washer combo for sure. I need to bolt size. I did not hog out the opening at all, and was very careful.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Loosened both sides on mine a couple or weeks ago--what a pita to tighten back up. Yep-spun both sides loose. Got a small flat screwdriver up between the fender and tire to catch the nut ( or whatever Suzuki calls it ) and got them both retightened. Will replace both with locknuts when the front wheel comes off.
Turned a 15 minute job into a solid hour worth of cussing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought it was easy too

Loosened both sides on mine a couple or weeks ago--what a pita to tighten back up. Yep-spun both sides loose. Got a small flat screwdriver up between the fender and tire to catch the nut ( or whatever Suzuki calls it ) and got them both retightened. Will replace both with locknuts when the front wheel comes off.
Turned a 15 minute job into a solid hour worth of cussing.
Amen to that....

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I'm going to tackle the throttle side bolt this morning. Taking the wheel off and maybe jam a screwdriver into the captive nut.

Wish me luck! If I don't post back in a few days send out search and rescue...:mrgreen:

EDIT: Got er done. Removed the wheel, tried the mapp gas to heat it up a bit. Helped a little. Then wd 40 and used my tire iron to jam the "nut" and worked it loose SLOWLY. Got all that F'n orange locktite off and used grease on the threads instead. The other side hasn't came loose yet so the lock tite is over kill. De glazed the rotors and wheel is back on.

Celebratory Bud Light is being consumed for a job well done! :var_17:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts