StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have removed my black plastic hand guards form my 1000. Now I am left with two, tall, hexagonal posts which used to secure the screw in the hand guard. Has anyone removed these posts and replaced them with anything for looks? I'm afraid that since the posts also go through the hand levers, if I pull them my levers will go shooting across my garage!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I wouldn't worry if I were you. I did the reverse operation on my 650. Had to emove the bolts that go through the levers. No problems whatsoever. But why do you want to remove them? Personally, I noticed a relief on buffeting after I intalled the hand guards...strange, but true!

·
Registered
441 Posts
It's true! There is only one way to know for sure. Be wearing protective eyeware and then VERY slowly remove those bolts!

Just kidding. They are the pivot bolts, that's all. In this case they are unusually tall to hold up the hand guards. The pivot surface of these bolts should always be kept clean and well lubricated for good control of your motorbike. I can't tell you how many bikes I have borrowed or rented that badly needed this quick and simple service. Dirt gets in there and the grease slowly degrades so it's hard to notice anything is wrong.

I'd bet a quick trip to the dealer or other parts purveyor would get you some pivot bolts that would work perfectly without the post effect.

Cheers!

H

·
0 Posts
wgm114 said:
I have removed my black plastic hand guards form my 1000. Now I am left with two, tall, hexagonal posts which used to secure the screw in the hand guard. Has anyone removed these posts and replaced them with anything for looks? I'm afraid that since the posts also go through the hand levers, if I pull them my levers will go shooting across my garage!
Would you like to sell your hand guards?

Hoppy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts