StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could've sworn I saw somebody mention it, but not finding it now. I think they said it was black plastic underneath. Not excited about the silver, it's a little bright.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I could've sworn I saw somebody mention it, but not finding it now. I think they said it was black plastic underneath. Not excited about the silver, it's a little bright.

Check this out.
KleanStrip Automotive

Even though the rack is not flexible plastic, this may still work without damaging the material. Your other alternative is to scuff up all of the visible surfaces with 400G sandpaper, then primer and paint the rack black, you could also spray it with bed liner which might look pretty good

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, among the other farkles before I hit the road on my long ride, I decided to blast away the paint. I had some rough edges on the grab bar portion and a little bit of flash in the square openings. I sanded and scraped away the defects and put it in my cabinet. Not even sure what the leftover media was that was in there, but just went to town on it. I like that it doesn't stand out so much and every bungie hook or cargo that touches it won't leave obvious scratches.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WvGGYCLHsdXRzWaB6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/F3h9eR8XfbesepGh2

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yes, there was a thread somewhere where I posted the result of my rear rack without silver paint.

In the process, I scrubbed the paint with paint thinner. Took me few hours. After that I did nothing else. I now just apply black shoe wax from time to time, let it dry and then go over it with dry cloth to give it some shine. It looks great.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yes, there was a thread somewhere where I posted the result of my rear rack without silver paint.

In the process, I scrubbed the paint with paint thinner. Took me few hours. After that I did nothing else. I now just apply black shoe wax from time to time, let it dry and then go over it with dry cloth to give it some shine. It looks great.
When you say that you scrubbed it with paint thinner, what were you using as a scrubber?

·
Registered
99 Posts
After doing a lot of searches on the internet about removing paint from plastic, I found several videos of people using paint stripper successfully, with one being Klean-Strip Aircraft paint stripper which I already use for stripper powder coat off of motorcycle parts.

So I took the rack off and on the underside I did a little test area, and low and behold it's removing the paint and not attacking the plastic at all. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I just scuffed it and painted with a satin black spray, maybe Krylon, maybe Fusion, don't remember. Still looks good after a couple years, but I don't abuse it or tie stuff to it. Also did the silver trim pieces up front...not sure what they were thinking making them silver.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Not sure what happened with the pics and can't seem to edit them. Meant to post this one, too.

But then, I guess the 17s don't have this piece, so never mind...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
There is a big long silver plastic piece up front, but it looks OK as is. Might be better black, or at least something darker than it is.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wz6iVL3XG4jNbYiV6
Mine is non-XT and has those inserts the same color as my tank (white).
By the way, you can copy the link of your photos to this site:
https://ctrlq.org/google/photos/?_ga=2.217007126.1402138213.1502391118-772324493.1502391118
and it will generate the code for google photo that you can use here to "insert picture". That way you'll have your photos straight in the post, not just the link. I do it that way, google photos as well.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! If I can just remember to copy the "DIRECT LINK" code then use the "insert image" button, I'll be all set. :confused:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well, the Klean-Strip Aircraft paint stripper I already had worked great at removing the paint from the rack and it had no effect on the rack material, and I plan on spraying the rack with Hurculiner aerosol truck bed liner next week.

That's my new custom Lamms seat I had done Wednesday, which I had done on a ride in.

Reactions: bighammer

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Just curious, but since the stripped rack is black, why would you spray bed liner on it? Seems to look pretty good as is and scratches and scrapes will likely show up worse.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just curious, but since the stripped rack is black, why would you spray bed liner on it? Seems to look pretty good as is and scratches and scrapes will likely show up worse.
After I successfully removed the factory silver paint I was not all that pleased with the look the natural black finish, so I tried several different methods of trying to make it look more uniform and better from hitting it with a fine scotch bright pad to polishing it on my buffer using some buffing compound. The polishing worked the best, but I didn't have the right type of rouge for plastic, and even if I did buy some I have a feeling that I would still not be happy with it, but it will never go back to being silver as it looks so much better black.

The natural black material is also not very glossy after the paint is removed and there is a lot of fine surface irregularities that become visible, which the silver paint hid, and bed liner is really durable stuff, and much more so than the factory paint, and aerosol bed liner typically has a much smoother finish than when it's rolled on.

I'm either going to use Rustoleum truck bed liner or Hurculiner spray on be liner. I have to check with Rustoleum on Monday and see if I first have to spray the rack with their plastic primer first before applying their bed liner, as they say, that its meant to applied over bare metal or painted surfaces, whereas Hurculiner says that their bed liner can be applied to pretty much any surface including plastic with having to use a primer.

From Youtube videos I've seen the Hurculiner aerosol bed liner has a nice lightly textured surface, with Rustoleum being a little more textured, so I'm leaning towards the Hurculiner, and I think it's going to look really good when it's done.
https://herculiner.com/products/herculiner-aerosol-spray/

·
Registered
147 Posts
After I successfully removed the factory silver paint I was not all that pleased with the look the natural black finish, so I tried several different methods of trying to make it look more uniform and better from hitting it with a fine scotch bright pad to polishing it on my buffer using some buffing compound. The polishing worked the best, but I didn't have the right type of rouge for plastic, and even if I did buy some I have a feeling that I would still not be happy with it, but it will never go back to being silver as it looks so much better black.

The natural black material is also not very glossy after the paint is removed and there is a lot of fine surface irregularities that become visible, which the silver paint hid, and bed liner is really durable stuff, and much more so than the factory paint, and aerosol bed liner typically has a much smoother finish than when it's rolled on.

I'm either going to use Rustoleum truck bed liner or Hurculiner spray on be liner. I have to check with Rustoleum on Monday and see if I first have to spray the rack with their plastic primer first before applying their bed liner, as they say, that its meant to applied over bare metal or painted surfaces, whereas Hurculiner says that their bed liner can be applied to pretty much any surface including plastic with having to use a primer.

From Youtube videos I've seen the Hurculiner aerosol bed liner has a nice lightly textured surface, with Rustoleum being a little more textured, so I'm leaning towards the Hurculiner, and I think it's going to look really good when it's done.
https://herculiner.com/products/herculiner-aerosol-spray/

Just curious what you ended up using and how it turned out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just curious what you ended up using and how it turned out.
The Hurculiner aerosol bed liner spray came out great and looks really good. I'm going to be taking some pictures of my bike today to show all of the other mods I've done to it, so I'll post up pictures of the rack also.

I sanded the entire surface with 400 grit including the underside of the rack which was a pain, then I sprayed one coat on and let it dry 4 hours then I sprayed on a 2nd coat and let it dry 24 hrs, with it baking out in the sun the following day at close 90 degrees. I then sprayed the 3rd coat on and let it dry 24 hrs with it also baking out in the sun the following day, and the stuff is hard as a rock and has a nice semi-gloss sheen to it and a fine texture.

I like the look of it so much that I'm going to strip the aluminum inserts for the lower chin spoiler that I removed and powder coated semi-gloss black and apply the Hurculiner bed liner to them so that they'll match the rack, and I think it will look even better than the black that on them. The trick with the Hurculiner aerosol is to not put it on too heavy and let it dry a full 24 hrs before applying each additional coat, and since it's a polyurethane base product it takes longer to cure in low humidity and temperature.

The Hurculiner aerosol bed liner spray is hard to find for some reason compared to the roll on stuff, and I ended up finding it at Pep Boys for $12.95 which was the cheapest I found it, including on the internet.

·
Registered
99 Posts
With the Hurculiner bed spray.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts