StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you spend anytime over on the other DL Forum or the Yahoo groups.
(I know, Why would you?)

You know several folks have removed their secondary Butterfly thingies.

Everyone claims "IT's GREAT"

Smoother, Snappier, Better.

Anyone here done it?

Discuss

V

·
0 Posts
Yep. I took mine out. Not a big job. I have a PCIII also. I didn't notice any difference at all. Its also supposed to remove the top speed limiter. I'll probably never find out the top speed of this bike anyway. Seems like if you have a Powercommander it doesn't make much difference from the posts I've seen. Maybe with no PCIII it helps. I left my secondaries out because I am too lazy to put them back in.

V

·
0 Posts
Remove the air filter. Look down each intake and you can see a round metal disk. Each disk is held in place by two small screws. Remove the screws-not too hard. DO NOT LET THE SCREWS DROP INTO THE INTAKE!!!. If you do that do not start the engine. You will have to get them out somehow. Otherwise they will be sucked into the combustion chamber or get stuck under an intake valve and do all manner of bad things. Once the screws are removed the metal disk will slide out. Do this for both intakes. That's it.

W

·
0 Posts
Velociraptor said:
I have a PCIII also. I didn't notice any difference at all.
Yep. It seems to be the consensus that the 'Stroms that show the biggest difference are the more stock ones. Those with a Power Commander seem to see little to no difference. My engine was bone-stock until I removed the secondary butterflies. WOW!!! I could feel the difference within the first 10 yards! Throttle respoinse is snappier and smoother. Also, the mid-RPM "chudder" has almost (but not completely) disappeared. I also adjusted the throttle cables per the owner's manual when I did this mod. (Most Zuke dealers do a pretty crappy job of prepping the 'Strom for sale, IMO.)

C

·
0 Posts
Those that have the PCIII USB, have you tried the 04/05 map available from the PC website? It is richer than any other stock map, (up to 33% in one place). I'm running this map with the accelerator pump upgrade and the secondaries removed. The pump upgrade makes a difference only if you have the secondaries removed. It shoots extra fuel when the throttle is snapped open (programmable), and is really needed if you don't have the secondary throttle plates to limit the airflow while the engine is catching up. It all goes back to the large Holley carbs we use to run on our cars. When the throttle is snapped open quickly, the engine vacume is lost momentarily until the rpms get high enough to produce the required vacume. So to overcome this loss of vacume, and the resulting loss of fuel/air mixture, the accelerator pump was born. Now, you can have the best of both worlds, with the large throttle body/fuel injection, (thanks Suzuki), minus the secondaries, and an accelerator pump.
However, I doubt if you could tell any difference with the secondaries intact though.
Try it, you'll like it. And it's free for the USB model only.

·
Registered
33 Posts
PowerCommander-Love it, Love it, Love it!

Finally got a chance to ride the "Yellow Peril" (munged my knee, needed surgery, long story) after installing the PowerCommander back in December.
No more low speed engine shudder/chatter.
Goes LOTS faster.
Gets better gas mileage at "normal" speeds.
Whitens the smile, freshens the breath and drive women mad with desire.
OK, I made the last one up. Sorry.
This is a must buy addition to the bike.
The Vicar

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Before I take everything apart to do this, I just want to make sure that the 650 has the secondary TB that the 1000 has and that it benefits from this removal.

All reviews of these benefits have come from 1000 owners. Any 650 owners who have also done this mod?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Speedstar
yeah the 650 has the secondaries...

I keep looking for data on the 650 too, and if secondary removal is worth the trip.

I did see, on Yahoo "vstrom2" group.. they have a database of 13 people who did the mod and what was there impression

All 13 loved it, only one guy listed his bike as a DL 650.

I am still hunting... i'll let you know..

Funny thing... I keep looking on the SV 650 forums.. nobody is talking about it over there... SV has the secondaries as well...

So, Who knows I'll keep looking

:?:

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Hey Chris, sounds like we are in the same boat. I will wait to see what you find out and If I come across anything on it I will let you know.

You would think we could find something specific to the 650 and if it is worth doing it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hello everyone :D You know early on I was disgusted with the way my 1000 k4 ran below 4 grand. It was horrible, however with time (3500 miles) it improved to the point of nearly gone. The only thing that was still lingering was a slight mushy feeling throttle response in that range. With all that said I read and read many posts. What I came up with was secondary removal as means to possibly clean the throttle response up. Let me tell you that was the best hour spent the difference was incredible. :shock: My advice would be remove them and stay as close to stock ie no pcII unless you are planning on pipes ect. Just My version of Finding V-Strom engine bliss. I'm truly happy with the results. Happy riding Steve NW Strom

J

·
0 Posts
I think I'm going to try this when I get some free time to actually do it Taking off the plastic and such is a pain.

·
Registered
78 Posts
:D Sounds great it is actually pretty easy to do. None of the side plastic has to come off. I could walk you through it if you would like just let me know if i can help.
NW Strom Steve

·
Registered
178 Posts
I pulled my secondaries in my 1000 about 10 days ago, and have put about 1000 miles on it since then just out playing around. I found that in balancing the throttle bodies the secondaries seemed to prevent it staying balanced through the rpm ranges, you could see them flutter a bit at times. After removal and doing the balance they stayed within .5" thoughout the throttle range where before I would see a 2-3" difference.

The bike does seem to have more snap on the low end and pulls better from the 3k range on up. I haven't noticed any decrease in fuel mileage either. And previously I couldn't get the bike to do anything over 130mph indicated, and now I have seen 145 and more to come before I had to back off, so it seems the ecm is using these as restrictors to the top end as opposed to some ignition timing restrictor.

The removal was a piece of cake, just get to air filter and all you need is a screwdriver and a set of needlenose pliers. I also put a magnetic tool next to each screw as I was removing it to prevent from dropping down to the main butterflies. After the screws are out it just slides out of shaft, I marked which side was out and which throttle body it goes back into in case I wanted to replace them. But no plans to do that, I like the way the bike is running.

J

·
0 Posts
NW Strom said:
:D Sounds great it is actually pretty easy to do. None of the side plastic has to come off. I could walk you through it if you would like just let me know if i can help.
NW Strom Steve

Do you not have to pull of the tank, etc?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes the tank has to be removed. It was really quite simple.
1. remove the seat
2. Remove the screws holding the trim on either side of the lowerportion of the seat.(Black pieces)
3. remove the left and right screws at the tanks top.
4. remove left and right screws holding body pieces to fairing and tank.
5. locate small center trim piece ahead of the gas tank ( black Plastic)
remove this piece and locate the front tank mount bolt.
6. remove this bolt
7. remove rear tank bolt and lift tank slightly. doing this from the right side of the bike look under the tank and locte the fuel line.Release the clips by sqeezing them and slide the line off. you will only lose a drop or two of fuel Then locte the fuel pump wire connector and disconnect it. It helps if you are low on fuel it makes things easy as the tank will be lighter.
8. slide tank reward out from under the painted side plastic and set safely aside.
9. remove air box lid and filter.(if your mileage is over 6k Have a filter around to replace the old one)
10. locate secondarys remove them carefully remeber to not drop the screws into the throttle bodys.
11. reassemble in reverse order.Making sure the airfilter is seated properly in the right position., and the fuel line and wires are tightly and Properly plugged in.
12. enjoy the great work that you have done
The most important thing to remeber is take your time. This is not a difficult task, it just takes patience to do it without dinging up the finish on your bike.

J

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the detail. From the maintenance manual, I gathered that this is what is involved in the process. Not difficult but It's still a pain to get to. I barely have time to ride much less rip it apart :)

B

·
0 Posts
Funny thing... I keep looking on the SV 650 forums.. nobody is talking about it over there... SV has the secondaries as well...
My buddy has an 03 SV650.. I am pretty dang sure that they don't have them!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
BBurton said:
My buddy has an 03 SV650.. I am pretty dang sure that they don't have them!!
I'm not sure the SV650 has them but on the SV1000 forum I've been lurking on there is no mention of it. I posted a request to see if anyone there has removed the secondaries. I'll let you know what I find out.

Dave

1 - 20 of 43 Posts